Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By dannyb884
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Default New Version of HTC Sync Available

Don't ask me why HTC chooses to ignore the ThunderBolt on its site or why the "check for updates" feature of HTC Sync never shows an update, but there is an update.

You can download HTC Sync Version 3.0.5557 [HERE]

Most of us probably currently have 3.0.5511 (TBolt orig) or 3.0.5517 (update alerted to here on AC).

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 08-13-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

ROM
    unrooted 2.11.605.19

Default Re: New Version of HTC Sync Available

Thanks Frank

I don't know why they don't have it "check for updates". I check every morning as part of normal routine... I might die of shock if it found something my download claims to be 3.0.5551 and not 30.05557.... odd
    LG EnV => BB Storm => BB Bold 9650 => HTC Thunderbolt
    all with extended batteries......
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by BattleSwine View Post
    Thanks Frank

...my download claims to be 3.0.5551 and not 30.05557.... odd
    Yes, it does. I fixed that now in my OP. The OP now points to the newest 3.0.5557 version. Sorry about that.

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 08-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

ROM
    unrooted 2.11.605.19

No problem thanks again Frank
    LG EnV => BB Storm => BB Bold 9650 => HTC Thunderbolt
    all with extended batteries......

What does this new update add?

Does it come with Gingerbread?!

LOL....you wish!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Don't ask me why HTC chooses to ignore the ThunderBolt on its site or why the "check for updates" feature of HTC Sync never shows an update, but there is an update.

You can download HTC Sync Version 3.0.5557 [HERE]

Most of us probably currently have 3.0.5511 (TBolt orig) or 3.0.5517 (update alerted to here on AC).

-Frank
    This is an .exe file - got anything for Mac's?
    Sent from my iMac using my fingers and bluetooth keyboard.

I don't think they make HTC Sync available for Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_is_Mike_is View Post
    This is an .exe file - got anything for Mac's?
    No, we use real computers
    Thanked by 2:
    Themer

ROM
    dasBAMF

Haha couldn't have said it better.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Favorite ROMs - dasBAMF Forever, SkyRaider Zeus Preview, dasBAMF 1.8.6 Remix
    If I helped ya, click da button!

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf6768 View Post
    Haha couldn't have said it better.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Its true... I bought a tablet to replace my macbook with lion. Apple has rendered it useless for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb884 View Post
    Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    Its true... I bought a tablet to replace my macbook with lion. Apple has rendered it useless for me.
    You guys must not earn a living with your computers in the graphic fields. I have used Mac's as an illustrator and designer from the beginning of personal computers (and with paper, pen, ink, paint, etc. BEFORE computers)...yes, there was a time before personal computers boys and girls.

PC's have come a long way in the last 20 years catching up to Mac's for commercial graphics printing, but there was a time when commercial printers and service bureaus HATED trying to print from PC files - they usually had to be converted in order to print correctly.

There used to be some rules of thumb on what type of computer to buy (there still is, but no one seems to know it anymore).

1. Decide what you want to do on the computer.
    2. Pick the best software to accomplish what you want to do.
    3. Pick the best platform to run the software.

Joking aside, cheering and booing one platform over another is silly.

There was a time when I was running both platforms with duplicate software on both, just to satisfy clients needs. Eventually software and hardware improved to the point where I could open files from either platform within the same software and I was able to get rid of my PC's.

PC's today are fine, and if I had to, I could go back to them.

Looks like the new version now supports Outlook 2010. Funny though how the downloads page (HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC ThunderBolt) for the Thunderbolt still indicates the older version. You can find the newer version by searching the HTC site, but they all show up under other phone models. Not to mention the download's file size has doubled over the previous version (70MB to 144MB, seems kind of bloated). I haven't actually used HTC Sync since 1.) don't really have a need and 2.) from the documentation on it, looks like it gets setup to startup everytime the PC does, so it's always running in the background (yuck, that's a non-starter for me, ha-ha, no pun intended ). Frank, does this new version work with the Thunderbolt and/or provide any new wiz bang functionality? Does it still work properly if you stop it from always running in the background? Thanks.
    Last edited by Synycalwon; 08-14-2011 at 08:09 AM.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Frank, does this new version work with the Thunderbolt and/or provide any new wiz bang functionality? Does it still work properly if you stop it from always running in the background? Thanks.
    Can't say I've tried stopping it. However, I'd guess that it'd just start up if you executed the program. I dunno... I really don't think it's any different than previous versions in that regard. However, if your phone is not connected I think they stop. Right now, my phone is not connected, and I can't find any service that I can identify with HTC Sync (or Vcast).

As for what this new version does... basically, the way I see it, it is no longer really phone specific. It includes drivers/services for "ALL HTC Smartphones" (HTC's quote, not mine). This is the All HTC Smartphone's version. Hence, bigger. I don't really know about added functionality. But if, as you say, they added Outlook/Office 2010 features, that's good.

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 08-14-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks. I have an older laptop that is overdue to be wiped and the OS re-installed, so it would be a good candidate to install the software on and play around with it before wiping/rebuilding the system. If it meets my strict criteria, may be I'll install it on my main system to sync the Outlook calendar and IE bookmarks.

I just don't like random programs running or software that installs services that always run in the background, would rather they be on demand only when I want them. I also highly restrict installed software anyway to reduce the system's attack surface and minimize patching/administration of software, basically the K.I.S.S principle.

I thought we had sense 2.0 not 3.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders Fan 223 View Post
    I thought we had sense 2.0 not 3.0?
    This is Sync, not Sense. Although, it would be nice if Sync updated Sense.

htc.exe crashes every time I choose the HTC Sync option on my Thunderbolt while it's connected via USB.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Sentrix View Post
    htc.exe crashes every time I choose the HTC Sync option on my Thunderbolt while it's connected via USB.
    Based on it working here (plain vanilla Windows 7 laptop & PC) I'd say... 1st, you might try another download, just in case. Maybe uninstall/reinstall. I'm not sure, but HTC Sync might also require VCast (and updated over the web). Make sure you have the drivers (when you get that silly pop-up select "install"). Also, check your system. Firewalls? App not "permitted" to run by AV software? Etc. Did the "old" version ever work on that machine?

Edit: Now that I look, I don't see any "HTC.exe" like you referenced. Mine is "htcUPCTLoader.exe". Where are you seeing HTC.exe?

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 08-16-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb884 View Post
    Which is why many of these programs are Windows only. You have to use a Windows emulator to attempt to use this software. Steve Jobs didn't think of customization when he built his own OS. Our platforms can run Mac software because the processor used in Macs are the same as in Windows machines as well.

Thanks Steve for creating a real nice machine and platform to go with it; seriously, Macs are solid machines though quite expensive.

Sorry Mac users, someone will write code for it.

How would I DL this on my TB? thanks
    To live and die in L.A.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly818 View Post
    How would I DL this on my TB? thanks
    Just go to the web browser and download it by clicking on the link in the OP.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ml#post1176587

Or, here is the direct link again... http://dl4.htc.com/setup_3.0.5557.exe

Oh... and... it is about 144MB in size.

This is, of course, a PC program. So you still need to install it on your PC. There is no MAC version to my knowledge.

-Frank

Hi Frank,
    My HTC Inspired 4G is not recognizing the SD Card and I cannot use the camera, download files, etc., eventhough the SD Card is already allocated in the phone. I have already changed the SD Card. Could you help me?

Best regards,

Santiago Guillermo