Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Official 2.11.605.3

Default Class 4 vs Class 10 sd cards

I just replaced the 32gb C4 with a 16gb C10 card. Gotta say, can't really tell a difference. Only when I put it in my pc to back it up can I tell a difference. 2-3 mb/s for the c4 and 5-8 for the c10. In the phone, not much difference.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Default Re: Class 4 vs Class 10 sd cards

Quote Originally Posted by wxruss View Post
    I just replaced the 32gb C4 with a 16gb C10 card. Gotta say, can't really tell a difference. Only when I put it in my pc to back it up can I tell a difference. 2-3 mb/s for the c4 and 5-8 for the c10. In the phone, not much difference.
    Good reference. Thanks!
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Official 2.11.605.3

Also, I did use SD Tools, and the C10 scored way higher (c4 r10 mb/s w5 mb/s, c10 r22 mb/s w10 mb/s). But still, no noticeable difference in phone performance.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

The only time you're going to see a noticeable difference is like you said... while transferring files back and forth.

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    The only time you're going to see a noticeable difference is like you said... while transferring files back and forth.
    And when recording a 720p video...
    "In valor, there is hope."

ROM
    bamf forever 1.10/3++

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    And when recording a 720p video...
    Hmm, no.

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Recording video I saw no difference from the C4 card in writing and playback

-sent from my Tbolt

Quote Originally Posted by wxruss View Post
    Did you get a Sandisk card? or something else?

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by willis936 View Post
    Hmm, no.

HTC's stock video camera has a pretty impressive compression rate, so you have little chance of filling up the buffer before it writes the video. Use a market camera app that supports 720P and has a shaky compression rate and see how long it takes to crash the app. It took me about 23 seconds...

It also has to do with how full the SD card is. The more data on the SD card, the more likely your card will ONLY have small groupings of data blocks available for the app to write to, this takes longer and can cause the memory buffer to fill up faster, bringing you back to my first point...

Many people use a class 4 and are happy with it. HTC and 720P get along fine with a class 4. Just make sure you use the stock camera and keep an eye on how full your card is and you should be fine.

Just because it's never happened to willis doesn't mean it's never happened...
    "In valor, there is hope."

I am pretty sure that the read / write speeds of your TB are going to be the limiting factor when comparing test speeds of various cards. I cannot imagine that the phone would really push a Class 10 card. It seems like over kill to have such a card in this phone. Unless you are transferring a lot back and fourth to your computer, I'm sure it makes sense for you to have it.

The only time I have really needed it was to shoot full 1280p @ 60fps on my Canon.

And on another note thank god the prices of those things are dropping hah.
    You got to risk it for the biscuit

Razr > EnV > EnV Touch > LG Dare > Droid X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy III > HTC Droid DNA

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post

Just because it's never happened to willis doesn't mean it's never happened...
    No. But, if it never happened to willis in the forest, at night, and no one saw or heard it not happening, then, it never happened.

Hey, it happens!

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Official 2.11.605.3

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBeats88 View Post
    I am pretty sure that the read / write speeds of your TB are going to be the limiting factor when comparing test speeds of various cards. I cannot imagine that the phone would really push a Class 10 card. It seems like over kill to have such a card in this phone. Unless you are transferring a lot back and fourth to your computer, I'm sure it makes sense for you to have it.

The only time I have really needed it was to shoot full 1280p @ 60fps on my Canon.

And on another note thank god the prices of those things are dropping hah.
    The main reason for getting the C10 is because I transfer photos/vids and backup my SD card every other day. The 16gb C10 sandisk was only $23 on ebay anyways