Apps Moved to SD Card No Longer Updating

DocFreud

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Many of the apps that I moved to the SD Card on my Thunderbolt are no longer able to be updated unless I move them back to the phone. There was a time when they could be updated when they were on the SD Card. Seems like this change happened around late July. The only change I made was the OTA update to MR2 in early August.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Any ideas how to fix this?
Move 'em back?

Seriously, I don't know the answer, but there have been numerous complaints here about the same thing. I'm not so sure it started with MR2, but anyway...

Why did you move them to the SD card? Surely you were not low on internal space, were you? Sorry for calling your Shirley :)

I've got 65 apps loaded and I still have 2.02GB of internal storage left out of my starting 2.43GB (or so). I just let them load wherever the default is (normally internal storage) and never had to worry about it. Some (many?) put data on the SD card, but the app's on internal storage.

-Frank

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This is a solution that has been posted before and that has solved the problem for most folks:

1. Connect your phone to the computer and make sure you can see invisible files/folders.
2. Go to the '.android_secure' folder.
3. Delete the 'smdl2tmp1.asec' file.

This file often gets corrupted and does not allow installs or updates to run that need the SD card or for apps on the SD card. Once you delete it, the OS remakes the file and the problem should be solved.

Hopefully this solves your problem as well!

Reactions: DocFreud

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
This has been a ongoing issue, personally I don't get why users move apps to SD Card when they should have more than enough internal storage.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, 65 apps took ~0.41GB. That is an average of 0.006307692GB per app. So lessee, I've got room left for another 320 apps for a total of ~385. Not enough?

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

I agree, I have 25 apps installed and none is on SD Card and I still have 2.14 GB left...
attachment.php

DocFreud

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
This is a solution that has been posted before and that has solved the problem for most folks:

1. Connect your phone to the computer and make sure you can see invisible files/folders.

This file often gets corrupted and does not allow installs or updates to run that need the SD card or for apps on the SD card. Once you delete it, the OS remakes the file and the problem should be solved.

Thanks! I'll give this a try.

Edit: This definitely worked. Thanks again.

Last edited:

DocFreud

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Move 'em back?

That's what I have been doing. And, this did start prior to the MR2 update. I mentioned it just to rule that out.

Why did you move them to the SD card? Surely you were not low on internal space, were you? Sorry for calling your Shirley :)

When I got my TB on its release day, I read a post somewhere about needing to use Apps2SD and didn't know better since it was my first Android. Previously, I was using the BB Bold 9650 so I was concerned about space. Thanks to everybody on AC, I understand a bit whole lot more about my TB. :)

Oh, and stop calling me Shirley. Love that movie!

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Correct. The android_secure folder has been wonky since froyo came out.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
300!! Boy how yours battery life and did you leave any apps on the Market? :D

My battery life is just fine. I use an extended battery and it's not like I have 300 apps running all the time! LOL

I believe there still are some 1700 apps left in the Market! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49