WIFI data counting as VZ data

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a strange issue. For the purpose of this experiment, I have been using my TB on WIFI for about 75% of the day for the past 5 days. In those 5 days I have been monitoring my data usage @ the VZ site. It looks like my VZ data counter is going up even while I am surfing over WIFI.

Has anyone else noticed this?

dsfarag

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm....how much of an increase. Maybe when you leave the house, the synchronization of Google and your phone requires more bandwidth over a wireless network (as in carrier) rather than your house. This is strange. Is it a vast amount of data increase?

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
We are talking about 300 MBs.

I know that's not a lot of data for some here, but that's about 7 days of Data usage for me under normal circumstances...

dsfarag

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, that is a big accumulation of data if you are on wi-fi that much. 300 mb is a lot of data for not using the tb when you are off of wi-fi, at least that is how I understood your original post.

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Exactly my point... I was streaming Pandora over WIFI just to see how that data is being accounted for and sure enough, my VZ counter was going north.....

I don't give a hoot cause I have unlimited data but still.... It should not be happening...

Now, I am rooted and running a custom ROM. Maybe that has something to do with it?

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I noticed sometimes while on wifi, the 3G icon would appear and actively transmitting data (both arrows blinking back an forth).

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Some Apps can't use a wifi connection, though that doesn't sound like what you are seeing. It may be a background application or your phone may be disconnecting from the wifi and switching back to mobile connection. Do you have a strong wifi signal? Does this happen as you are moving around? Is there another router nearby that's running on the same frequency causing interference, then a disconnect?

I use wifi at home and have kept an eye on the data and have not experienced what you are seeing. Can't answer about the rooting thing as I am not rooted.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Another thing to look at is under Wi-Fi settings, see if you have "Advanced" by pressing "Menu", Check the Wi-Fi sleep policy. Make sure you select "never". I don't know if stock TB has this or not, but with CM7 ROM, it does. If you don't choose "never", then Wi-Fi may turn off, and 3G/LTE/1x may run instead. Otherwise, you may be running applications that don't use Wi-Fi or you have a very weak signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech