a thunderbolt is a great thing to have on a road trip.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I recently took a three week road trip. And I was very happy to have my thunderbolt with me the gps worked great it even worked on some roads where I did not even get a data connection. I also payed Verizon there 30 bucks so I could use the WiFi hotspot and it worked great it let my stream netflix right to my xoom right from my hotel. All in all I was very happy to have my thunderbolt with me and would not go on any roadtrips without it .the only down side is i have been out of the android loop for almost a month. But now that I'm.home I can resume my android central addiction. :)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Glad to hear you had a good trip and welcome back :) I travel a ton I the winter and having the TB does make it much more enjoyable.

juju705

May 12, 2011
Visit site
My tbolt really came in handy during my roadtrip, too. I wasn't driving, so I used it to keep me entertained. I went to a bunch of websites, and then early in the morning, I found out that the magical quill thing for Pottermore was going on. Unfortunately the phone didn't like working with the site, (site buttons would disappear after I clicked them) but that's where the wireless hotspot came in handy. I was able to do the challenge and register on my laptop. Then when we got to our hotel, which charged $10/day for wifi, I only used my tbolt's hotspot. It definitely killed my battery though; I kept it on the charger any time I used the hotspot.

We also used the GPS/navigation thing quite a bit, because it locked on and calculated quicker than my husband's couple-years-old Garmin. TBH, the only thing I liked more about the Garmin is that its voice is less mechanical.

Traveling with my tbolt was definitely a pleasant experience though.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree TB is great for road trips. Huge improvement in battery life after MR2. Nav, calls, map searches, traffic updates, and running Sensorly in background (active not passive). Better than 40% left after 5-6 hours. With MR1 I couldn't drive 5 hours without plugging in and I wasn't running Sensorly. That was running 2 hours on interstates and rural Kentucky. So very little 4G. Ohio has far better 4G coverage. When I have 4G I leave my Wi-Fi off. I didn't use my BB nearly as much... than again it couldn't do as much...

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you guys. I travel frequently for work and have always loved having an Android phone. This week was my first trip since I got my tb and just happened to be to a 4g location. Even though I know the route to where I traveled to It's still nice to use the gps while I stream Pandora! For those of you that don't have audio out in your car like me get an fm transmitter that plugs into your headphone jack. I found one for $13 at Walmart and it works good. I can listen to Pandora and when I'm approaching a turn Pandora will pause to allow the gps to let me know. Also if you answer a call you can hear the caller through your speakers. So for $13 I feel you can't beat the fm transmitter.