Flashing my HTC Thunderbolt to Cricket

milcrux

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased a HTC Thunderbolt and I am hoping to have it flashed to Cricket or Boost Mobile. If anyone can do it remotely that would be great. I also don't want to pay too much. :cool:

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's possible. The Thunderbolt uses a SIM card for activation on VZW's service. I may be wrong, but the 4G LTE phones are going to be a pain in the butt to activate on any other service unless Cricket or Boost Mobile are also using 4G LTE. I know both are running on CDMA service only.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
There's a thread on the XDA forums where a guy flashed his over to Cricket. Go over there and check it out. He doesnt say how to, but I think he'll do it for you.

Edit: Here's the link: Thunderbolt to Cricket - xda-developers

Here's the truth: You can, in fact, flash a Thunderbolt to Cricket/Boost. The downside: Because the 3G and 4G are tied into the same radio, and subsequently locked to a VZW 4G SIM, you will likely be running only on 2G data speeds, and furthermore locking the phone out of 4G for ever.

My opinion? Enjoy your crippled Thunderbolt. I'll stay with Verizon.

I mean, really? Why buy a 4G phone so you can never use 4G? To me that seems... well, like a waste. I guess if you are able to crack it to run on 3G, then there is a small chance you might be able to use simultaneous voice and data... If you can crack 3G.

Last edited:

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's the truth: You can, in fact, flash a Thunderbolt to Cricket. The downside: Because the 3G and 4G are tied into the same radio, and subsequently locked to a VZW 4G SIM, you will be running on 2G data speeds, and furthermore locking the phone out of 4G for ever.

My opinion? Enjoy your crippled Thunderbolt. I'll stay with Verizon.

I mean, really? Why buy a 4G phone so you can never use 4G? To me that seems... well, like a waste.

I read through some of that thread before I got bored. The dude claims to get 3G with it. Its still a total waste though in my opinion.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I read through some of that thread before I got bored. The dude claims to get 3G with it. Its still a total waste though in my opinion.

From my experience with tweaking the radios on the Thunderbolt from an insider perspective, I find it unlikely that he did. And of course, since his supposed proof screen shot has no date to reference, we'll never know if that was after he flashed it to Cricket or before. Maybe he did? Who knows...

The reason why I set the bar for 2G is that when you deal with flashing a phone to another carrier, expect the worst.

ReNdErRoUgE

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
ok first off your wrong I have flashed them to cricket and i have made them use there full 4G capabilities cause if you didnt know cricket uses sprint satellites, which send 4G and 3G signals at the same time, so you can tweek the antenna the proper way after the flash to 3G causing it to pick up 4G when in the right area since the thunderbolt doesnt have the option to use 4G when you want too.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
ok first off your wrong I have flashed them to cricket and i have made them use there full 4G capabilities cause if you didnt know cricket uses sprint satellites, which send 4G and 3G signals at the same time, so you can tweek the antenna the proper way after the flash to 3G causing it to pick up 4G when in the right area since the thunderbolt doesnt have the option to use 4G when you want too.

you mean cricket uses sprint cell sites? because satellites only provide gps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000