Would you get a Thunderbolt at this late a date?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Let's be fair. I haven't lost my mind. Known issues include loss of data requiring restarts or other actions. Sporadic Laggy keyboard. Sms going to wrong people. Terrible battery life requiring jumbo battery. Locked bootloader. Slow locking gps. Some peoples phones tell them they are in Spain when they are.in NY. When you plug in some headphones phone mistakes them for headsets and goes.directly to voice dialing. There are many others as well. Just read all the titles here about bugs. Difficulties setting LED notifiers in different colors.for.different apps. If you haven't had any of these things happen to you it shows.you got the lucky phone - not that the typical Thunderbolt has no bugs.

To also be fair, the bootloader can be unlocked...and if you're buying a phone with no contact or warranty,why not root it? To also be fair, the odds that the bionic is released and is completely bug free is HIGHLY unlikely...I personally am a bit skeptical given the numerous delays its already had.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
To also be fair, the bootloader can be unlocked...and if you're buying a phone with no contact or warranty,why not root it? To also be fair, the odds that the bionic is released and is completely bug free is HIGHLY unlikely...I personally am a bit skeptical given the numerous delays its already had.

To be certain, the Bionic will have its own bugs. It is likely they have solved the overheating issue because of the LTE radio and Tegra 2 not playing nice. I have not had it confirmed if it still has the Tegra 2 and they solved the conflict, or they went with their more trusty OMAP dual core that they used in the Droid 3. That was the major hold up on the Bionic's release.

However, I have never, and I mean never, seen a smartphone released without bugs. The question is in the severity and how easy it is to fix. That is how I will judge the Bionic: Not *IF* it has bugs, but *WHAT* bugs.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd get it as well. I've had 1 random reboot on mine in the almost 3 months of ownership and it was on a custom ROM. I've been on CM7 for about 1 1/2-2 months or so and I love it! The phone is fast, has voice and data at the same time and is one sexy beast! I'd for sure buy it and then just sell it when you see a new phone you think you might want.

fadepoint89

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line the TB is a great phone. The phone used to be buggy but now that they rolled out the updates, its flawless. On top of that you can root the phone and install roms, radios, and kernels and make the phone even better. I would do it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a fellow Indianapolnite, I would purchase the phone. 4g is a whole different beast. Once you go 4g you will ask yourself how did you ever live without it lol. The t-bolt is a great phone especially that you have will have a spare battery.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a Bolt and am thinking of getting another one used and rooting it to see how I like the rooted phone before rooting my own phone. Then I'd have two Bolts and flip the sim and SD cards on Zombie day. (I work third shift and have rotating days off and a four day weekend every six weeks. My first day off is Zombie day because I stay up all day) And I can run one phone down then switch to the other in a couple of minutes. The voice and data is a big perk too in case you leave Indy. and travel through a non 4g area. I'd say jump on it and stomp like you were in a vat of grapes. Good luck in whatever choice you make fellow Hoosier.

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a Bolt and am thinking of getting another one used and rooting it to see how I like the rooted phone before rooting my own phone. Then I'd have two Bolts and flip the sim and SD cards on Zombie day. (I work third shift and have rotating days off and a four day weekend every six weeks. My first day off is Zombie day because I stay up all day) And I can run one phone down then switch to the other in a couple of minutes. The voice and data is a big perk too in case you leave Indy. and travel through a non 4g area. I'd say jump on it and stomp like you were in a vat of grapes. Good luck in whatever choice you make fellow Hoosier.

Thanks,
I'm waiting to hear back form the guy.
Hope he hasn't changed his mind.
I traded my X2 for my girlfriend's OG Droid last night.
I'm straining to see the screen (I guess Old Age)

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks,
I'm waiting to hear back form the guy.
Hope he hasn't changed his mind.
I traded my X2 for my girlfriend's OG Droid last night.
I'm straining to see the screen (I guess Old Age)
Looks like guy is gonna come through.
Should be playing with it tomorrow.
Thanks for all the advice.

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Got the Phone Friday and I absolutely love it.
I think I'm good for awhile now and can patiently wait and analyze all the new 4G releases from the Bionic through the end of the year and make the best decision on how to use my upgrade wisely.
I can pass this on to my son at that time or possibly resale to recouple the cost of the upgrade.
And if the Bionic (my original choice) is the winner, maybe by late October the price will be lower.

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
One more thing to note is that while in the Verizon store I asked about warranties on the phone and I was surprised at whet the rep said.
They said the warranty is on the phone line and not specifically on the phone so I could theoretically get it replaced due to a manufacturers issue since I'm still within my Original DX warranty period.
Also I can use my Assurian insurance in case of damage.
Don't know if this is entirely true but sure makes me fell better if it is.
The phone right now looks brand new without a single blemish.
I feel I lucked up all around.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I went through three Droid Xs in the last month and finally they sent me a Droid X2 as a replacement.
I really don't see much of a step up from the original but I appreciated Verizon for trying to make me a happy customer.
I had been holding out for the bionic but like many others lost the passion after such a long wait.
I've been dying to try out a 4G phone since 4G finnaly arrived here in Indianapolis.
I know this is long winded but here is my question.

I have an opportunity to buy a used HTC Thunderbolt for $200.
It comes with a case, a screen protector, a second battery, and a battery charger for charging the spare battery.

The Pros:
I finally get a 4G phone without using my upgrade or paying retail
I can give my GF the X2 so she can have something newer than her OG droid
I can wait out the Bionic and look at newer phones and reviews coming in the next few months that I can possibly upgrade to
Could possibly sell the T-Bolt in a couple of months without losing much of what I paid

The Cons:
No warranty on the Thunderbolt
Have to live with any issues that still exist on Thunderbolt
Downgrade from qHD screen (although not a big deal to me cause I think i like the original X screen more than the X2 for some reason)
Spent $200 and possibly will spending that or more on a new phone in a few months

Just looking for some advice from the group or anyone else who has gone from an Droid X to the Thunderbolt

Thanks,

The only way I would get a Thunderbolt today, is if I could get it for less than $50...maybe $75 with the extras you listed. Other wise keep the Droid X2 and wait for next years phones. 4G is nice, but I find myself using WiFi most of the time anyway.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
This is now Sept 20th Did you get it? I got the TB on Aug 30th and like it. I have a friend who has the Bionic and is returning it.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
This is now Sept 20th Did you get it? I got the TB on Aug 30th and like it. I have a friend who has the Bionic and is returning it.

He said he got the phone on Aug 30th... :)

jdg1 said:
Got the Phone Friday and I absolutely love it.
I think I'm good for awhile now and can patiently wait and analyze all the new 4G releases from the Bionic through the end of the year and make the best decision on how to use my upgrade wisely.
I can pass this on to my son at that time or possibly resale to recouple the cost of the upgrade.
And if the Bionic (my original choice) is the winner, maybe by late October the price will be lower.

pnoozi

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
My TBolt should be coming in the mail any day now...

Waited for the Bionic but it was kind of fail quail. TBolt was 1 cent on Amazon :)