Do I Need a Screen Protector

Jo5329

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend one. I had one put on at the store when I bought my TB and today I was cleaning it off from the sticky lunch fingers and noticed a couple scratchs on the protector. Those would now be in the glass on the phone without the protection!

Ragnarok#AC

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I had the OG Droid (which definitely had gorilla glass) and that never developed any scratches. My Thunderbolt started showing multiple scratches within a week of careful use. If the TB has gorilla glass now, then great... but the one I have definitely does not and it needs a screen protector.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You never "need a screen protector" until after the first scratch. Same with insurance. How many people here have you seen trying to buy insurance right after they've damaged their phone?

-Frank

mman609

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I decided to be careful and immediately got a few small scratches. If mine had Gorilla Glass then GG certainly isn't anything to write home about! Protector now on order and I would certainly recommend one, given how careful I was and how easily the screen scratched.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had screen protectors on from day 1... I always use the most "armored" case that I can find. So, not protecting screen is out of the question. Though the first TBolt screen protector I used was cheap, didn't like the hole over "buttons". Steinheil Ultra Crystal doesn't change look or feel of screen. In theory I like the anti-glare/anti-fingerprint but they add to much felt resistance.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have one of those partial Verizon screen protectors that don't cover the bottom part of the screen. And that's where I have a scratch.

Sent using Tapatalk

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You never "need a screen protector" until after the first scratch. Same with insurance. How many people here have you seen trying to buy insurance right after they've damaged their phone?

-Frank

Not me! I like to live dangerously! Muahhh.... :p

Trying to buy insurance or complain after the fact is, to me, just dishonest and something I've never or would ever do. To each his own, but I'm ok with the risk of forgoing a screen protector, a case, or insurance. Instead I handle my high end electronics with kid gloves. Besides, as far as screen protectors or cases, I simply don't like how they affect the phone from its native design. :)

Five months with the TB and not a scratch. Phone still looks as new as out of the box!

Last edited:

rpz3.14

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I figured I'd try the TB without a protector for a while, since I am really careful with my phones. It did okay, but within the first 2 months, I had two or three small scratches. I just put on a Steinheil Ultra Series protector, and I love it. It was really easy to put on and the screen honestly looks completely stock.

I would say that if you go for a screen protector, make sure it's a full screen one (covers all glass including softkeys) as I found it really annoying to use the Verizon one on my Incredible, with only part of the screen covered.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting. An "oleo-phobic coating". Hmm... Never knew about this. And I suspect all GG phones (iPhone and TBolt both) have this. Interesting.

-Frank

Pretty much all Android phones have this including the *phone. Its a protective coating for lcd touchscreens. Thats why its recommend not to clean the phones screen with any type of household cleaning product.. example Windex. Over time the alcohol eats away at the coating.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind, anything that is harder than GG, ie sand, that comes in contact with the screen can potentially scratch it. Has happened to many before.

Sent from my ADR6400L

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from an OG Droid which I have had since it was released. Over the past 2 years its gotten its fair share of drops and scrapes and whatnot, yet I have managed to not have to deal with a scratch; even the tiniest one. I know the OG Droid has a GorillaGlass screen, and from what I'm told, the Thunderbolt does not. Can the Thunderbolt be scratched or should I leave a screen protector (not a big fan of those) on?
I use the one from vzw and they work fine. I would recommend one vs none.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I use the one from vzw and they work fine. I would recommend one vs none.

I use the same one and love it. Also, the one VZW sells called "universal" (cut to fit) is exactly the same material and works exactly as good as the custom TBolt protector but you can cut it so it fits over the buttons. I use that too. I still have a number of them from my last phone. I really like the VZW screen protectors. Both of these cost about $12/pkg of 3. I usually keep one on for 4-6 months before changing.

-Frank

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have always used the ghost armor screen protectors. I like them a lot. I have upgraded from the Incredible and am getting my TB delivered to me on Tuesday. You can bet I am getting the ghost armor installed as soon as I receive it. I don't want any scratches on this beautiful phone. I take great care of my devices and the screen protector is a definite YES:)

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I tried several times to put one on when I got the phone. The VZW one went on fine, but I hated it since it obviously wasn't actually cut for the TB. Then I tried the Seidio and I screwed up two of them and then gave up. Anyway, it has been 6 months now without one and I have no scratches on my screen. I have had it in my pocket with change and keys too. I think you would need some pretty tight pockets with pretty sharp things to scratch the screen. I would be more concerned about my trick, which is to lean against tables and such. The crunching sound is a bit concerning!

FWIW, I did not use the protectors for my BB Storms either, and after a year each, they were also free of scratches.

mpciii

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Personally I can't stand screen protectors. I've tried using them but they never look right or I get fixated on small speck of dust underneath. I tried using them with my Eris and never had one on my Thunderbolt. My kids still have the Eris as an mp3 player and are brutal with it. The screen still looks scratch free. I'm sure it's possible to get a scratch but I'm much happier using it on a day to day basis without one. Bottom line you'll find people who use and love them and people who don't with no scratches and love it. Like most things it comes down to personal preference.

hillsmi

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what's going on with the Gorilla Glass.. at first it didn't have it and now its listed that it does. One thing I can say is on my DroidX... never had one scratch (gorilla glass) ... on my Galaxy Tab.. never had one scratch (gorilla glass). The Thunderbolt.. the first one.. 4-5 light surface scratches. My second one that I've had for two weeks now.. already has a surface scratch and I'm super protective of how I treat my phones. So.. I'm not sure what kind of Gorilla Glass this is but the screen does scratch. I still don't use a protector because I can't stand them but don't count on the screen being scratch resistant.

Maybe yours came with monkey glass instead.

Maypo

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Count me as another one who has multiple ugly scratches. This phone has not held together nearly as well as my old blackberry.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I used a screen protector for most of my time having my phone. One side started to peel so I pulled the whole thing off and it was fine for a couple of days. Then my 16 month old daughter grabbed it and threw on the ground like Andy Samburg and it hit the ground at a perfect angle. I say "perfect" cause it made the body glove come apart and the screen slide on the concrete. I'm lucky to have only a few scratches after that and of course my kick stand started peeling.