Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fubaracing7374
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Change primary settings on contacts?

Ok oh great gods of the android world. I am sure this is an easy one, but I am sometimes android challenged. Too many years on a BB, although now I would NEVER go back. Apparently the grass is greener on the other side!

I do not use Google or Facebook. Is there an easy way to change? I have about 500 contacts
    Under Contacts or people, is there a way to change how the “primary” phone number is listed. It seemed to list all cell phone numbers as “primary”. Most of my customers work from an office and I don’t want their cell phone as primary when looking for phone numbers on the fly. It doesn’t matter if they are all changed, but it sure would be nice to not have everyone’s cell phone as the primary phone number. Or I can remove the primary option all together?

Stock, unrooted, great battery life, GPS works, everything seems to work just great

Using touchdown

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1

If you press and hold on the primary number, it should then give you the option of making that particular number the primary...
    Thanked by 2:
    Jo5329psh07 
    Jo5329 likes this.

Default Re: Change primary settings on contacts?

I've seen the "press and hold" solution used for many other phones but for some reason it doesn't work on the TB. I have the same problem and can't get rid of a cell as the primary unless I delete the contact and start over...too many contacts to do that so for now I just live with this (and many other) quirks that Android offers.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by robrace View Post
    I've seen the "press and hold" solution used for many other phones but for some reason it doesn't work on the TB. I have the same problem and can't get rid of a cell as the primary unless I delete the contact and start over...too many contacts to do that so for now I just live with this (and many other) quirks that Android offers.
    Very strange. Works for me. What OS? I'm Stock MR2.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

ROM
    unrooted 2.11.605.19

Long press "set as default" works under Go Contacts EX
    LG EnV => BB Storm => BB Bold 9650 => HTC Thunderbolt
    all with extended batteries......
    Thanked by:
    psh07 

FrankXS - your reply made me look harder and I discovered my problem. I was pressing/holding the contact that WAS the primary number and the menu that popped up provided no method to change that. After reading your post I figured I was doing something wrong and kept looking. The trick is to press/hold the number you WANT to be the primary and one of the menu options is "Set as primary".

I can finally change all the cell numbers away from primary!

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by robrace View Post
    FrankXS - your reply made me look harder and I discovered my problem. I was pressing/holding the contact that WAS the primary number and the menu that popped up provided no method to change that. After reading your post I figured I was doing something wrong and kept looking. The trick is to press/hold the number you WANT to be the primary and one of the menu options is "Set as primary".

I can finally change all the cell numbers away from primary!
    Great. Glad you got it worked out. I remember when I first learned of this techinque. Sure made me happy

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]