Battery Life

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Why is the battery life so unpredictable on this phone? I have gone to bed with it being 100% and woke up with it the same and I have gone to bed with it being 100% and woke up with it at 89%. All settings the same each night. Its very weird it will just discharge a chunk like that when it feels like it. Especially for an extended battery

MOTOX2

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Well my extended battery lasts like 2 days... on heavy use too...but yeah usually mine only discharges 5 percent or so ....or loses that 5 percent...

It probably depends on your data, if its fetching feeds, etc.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to when charging the battery overnight? If that's the case, once it reaches a full charge it will stop charging until the battery level drops 5-10%, then it will start charging again. This is by design. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any unpredictable battery life on either extended or standard batteries.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
No I take it off the charger before bed. When I woke up this morning It was at 89% right now its at 75% and thats with minimal use. Its lasted like 40hrs twice since I got it but thats it. At the rate its discharging it would be at 60% before bed tonight at the 24hr mark. Although the two times it held that long I had to plug and unplug the phone a few times after it said 100%.

Oh and no fetching feeds and such. I shut facebook off when not using it. That thing is just full of too much junk lol

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You can try checking for anything unusual that may be using battery via Menu, Settings, About Phone, Battery, Battery Use. Or look for an app that provides better battery monitoring. I'm not familiar with any in particular. You could also try reconditioning the battery by completely discharging it, then recharging it with the phone off. Do this at least a couple times. If nothing seems to help and the battery is increasingly losing charge, it may need to be replaced.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Nothing abnormal is listed as using the battery. I didnt know that you had to condition the battery with the phone off. There has been a couple of times I let it get to like 20% before recharging but the phone was on. When I charged and unplugged to charge more sometimes I turn the phone off but thats about the only time its been off while charging.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
There are numerous processes that can vary day to day, night to night on a phone. So variance is not too unusual. However, if you've checked those kinds of things (i.e. more mail one day, larger attachments one day, programs downloading data every few days, etc.), more than likely the variance you're seeing is signal related. When data signals drift out/in and the phone has to work harder at re-acquiring the signals, it does a number on the battery. And this is something you don't usually expect when you're investigating only errant programs/processes. Just something to think about.

Add to that the fact that when you "unplug" your phone at night, even after having a green light, it could be at 100 percent one night at that time but 93 percent at that moment the next night. Just due to the nature of how the charging mechanism works.

Recommend keeping your phone on the charger all night.

-Frank