Help- What's so great about Gingerbread???

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I've installed the aftermarket 3500mAh battery, and turned off the 4G (since there is no 4G yet in my area); I went from charging once or twice a day, to now charging every 2-1/2 - 3 days.

Turning off the 4G receiver if you're not in a 4G supported area will make a world of difference in your battery life, even if you only have the stock battery.

I am in a solid 4G area and hate the humpback batteries - the phones should be designed from the get-go with more battery power.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
GB is really just well polished Froyo. It will mostly look them same, but feel faster. The front facing camera will work in App like Skype. Some changes in settings menu and security enhancements under the hood. Changes in radio support that make more sense running multiple radios. GB is what Froyo should have been.

And when ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) comes out, it will be ICS is really just well polished Gingerbread. And ICS is what GB should have been. ;)

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've installed the aftermarket 3500mAh battery, and turned off the 4G (since there is no 4G yet in my area); I went from charging once or twice a day, to now charging every 2-1/2 - 3 days.

Turning off the 4G receiver if you're not in a 4G supported area will make a world of difference in your battery life, even if you only have the stock battery.

Interesting... I live in a 3G only area and haven't noticed any discernable difference in battery life regardless of whether the phone is in CDMA only or CDMA/LTE (default). Now, if you're in an LTE area and want to save a little juice, CDMA (3G) only will help. But, from my experience in LTE areas, the biggest drain isn't LTE itself per se; it's that you want to use the phone a heck of a lot more because of the speeds! :p I spent a week in Denver a few months ago, the entire time in LTE and the battery didn't drain any faster when the phone was idling than it did in 3G only. So, overall it's probably more to do with signal strength and how hard the phone's radios have to work to talk to the cell towers. Weak signal in 3G only areas have been the ONLY time I've really ever noticed higher battery drain.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I am in a solid 4G area and hate the humpback batteries - the phones should be designed from the get-go with more battery power.

I agree. The Thunderbolt looks a heck of lot better without the hump of an extended battery off the back, not to mention the weight difference. For that reason, I have two standard batteries, one of which is always fully charged (via a Seidio Multifunction Battery Charger). I just swap them out as needed. The only time I typically use the extended battery is when I know I'll be away from a power source for a while or when I need extended power without having to tether the phone to a charger. It would be nice if we had an ARC reactor power source! :p

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Really all it basically does is enhance how everything performs. It makes the phone more effiecient so everything will run smoother

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... I live in a 3G only area and haven't noticed any discernable difference in battery life regardless of whether the phone is in CDMA only or CDMA/LTE (default). Now, if you're in an LTE area and want to save a little juice, CDMA (3G) only will help. But, from my experience in LTE areas, the biggest drain isn't LTE itself per se; it's that you want to use the phone a heck of a lot more because of the speeds! :p I spent a week in Denver a few months ago, the entire time in LTE and the battery didn't drain any faster when the phone was idling than it did in 3G only. So, overall it's probably more to do with signal strength and how hard the phone's radios have to work to talk to the cell towers. Weak signal in 3G only areas have been the ONLY time I've really ever noticed higher battery drain.

That makes sense.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
And when ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) comes out, it will be ICS is really just well polished Gingerbread. And ICS is what GB should have been. ;)

No as GB never intended to support tablets. ICS will attempt to roll GB and HC together. The odds of lots of problems is pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463