Conference call question.

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So I am on a call with one person. We try to conference in someone else. The person we are trying to add to the call isn't there and we want to drop the call before heir voice mail picks up. How do I drop he new call that we just added. I can't figure it of. :)

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Conferance call question.

You are supposed to be able to select the call and hit "End Call" to drop just that one caller. Problem is though that it disconnects ALL calls and in a few seconds it will ring you back and once you answer, the existing callers are still there. It's a weird implementation, but by design. Same thing with call waiting.

cwoosy1980

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

Honestly I don't think you can, if you try to drop the call you hang both people up! I had a blackberry storm and even though Im android for life, the storm could hang up one call and go back to the original call! Every I know owns a droid and can't figure out 3 way calling for the life of them! Only thing I can tell you is to hope they pick up, conferance the call and you will have to hang everyone up at the same time! I would say its a froyo issue, because everyone believe's that gingerbread will fix everything and its the second come of Jesus when we finally get it, but other than that, better get you a landline for 3 way calling! It sucks on android, luckly I don't 3 way call all the time!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

You are supposed to be able to select the call and hit "End Call" to drop just that one caller. Problem is though that it disconnects ALL calls and in a few seconds it will ring you back and once you answer, the existing callers are still there. It's a weird implementation, but by design. Same thing with call waiting.
Actually, you cannot selectively drop (hang up) on only one participant in a conference call. When you hit the [End] button, every connection is broken. That is by design. The theory is that the other party will simply hang up on their end, and disconnect themselves.

-Frank

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Actually, you cannot selectively drop (hang up) on only one participant in a conference call. When you hit the [End] button, every connection is broken. That is by design. The theory is that the other party will simply hang up on their end, and disconnect themselves.

-Frank

Whether conference call (three or more) or just call waiting (two), that's not what the manual says or what most expect in operation/functionality. The manual states "To end the current call and return to the other call, tap End call." It does NOT mention anywhere that this will end ALL calls and the phone will ring you back with any remaining callers. IMO, this is a bad design and makes assumptions that the other party will hang up or that the connection will drop when in many cases that does not happen. I've tested this many times and had the call I wanted to disconnect STILL there five minutes later (screen still showing as on hold with the timer still incrementing) even though there was no one on the call! I went back and confirmed that this DID count against my plan minutes. For some, this could be a problem. A better design would be to allow you to select a specific call and end JUST that call without any interruption in talking to other connected callers. This is normally how it works on landline based phones that have this type of functionality. So, is this an Android limitation? Or just the way HTC designed the functionality?

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Bump, is the conference call/call waiting functionality an Android limitation? Or just an HTC designed one? I believe it's HTC.
It's VZW. And, VZW doesn't call it "conference calling", VZW calls it "three-way-calling", for a reason. It is implemented on VZW phones different than what most people would think of with conference calling. Although, I've heard, that other wireless carriers follow suit. But I've always been with VZW.

As for your other post... "call waiting" is an entirely different technology than "three-way-calling". TWC has to be initiated by the one caller (calling each of two people in succession from the same handset). While "call waiting" is an entirely different animal in that the two callers (other than yourself) cannot ever hear each other. Entirely different technology.

http://wirelesssupport.verizon.com/features/calling_features/3_way_calling.html?t=3

-Frank

Last edited:

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

-Frank

Thanks frank. My issue is say I am talking to my wife and want to call my sister with her on the line so we can set up dinner. If my sister doesn't answer the call we can leave a voice mail. At the end of that voice mail I have to hang up on wife to make it stop recording. That's terrible design built into an awesome phone unfortunately. :(

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks frank. My issue is say I am talking to my wife and want to call my sister with her on the line so we can set up dinner. If my sister doesn't answer the call we can leave a voice mail. At the end of that voice mail I have to hang up on wife to make it stop recording. That's terrible design built into an awesome phone unfortunately. :(

Why doesn't her voicmail hang up after a timeout? I thought they all did that.

Also, AFAIK, every handset that VZW ever produced has operated this way. It is definitely not unique to the ThunderBolt.

-Frank

pcbtmr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Calling Features: 3-Way Calling

While on a 3-Way call, how do you release one call and continue with the other?

To disconnect one or both parties, ask them to hang up.

"Since you are not answering this call and it has gone to voice mail, could you remotely hang up from this call please so we can continue our conversation?"

Reactions: FrankXS

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Why doesn't her voicmail hang up after a timeout? I thought they all did that.

Also, AFAIK, every handset that VZW ever produced has operated this way. It is definitely not unique to the ThunderBolt.

-Frank

Not true. I could hit flash to hang up on the voice mail with my last blackberry. Pretty unique to me. Not a good design.

Oh well. Was just hoping for a solution. Waiting 5min for a voicmail to time out is sillier than having to call the first person back. It's just awkward.

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

"Since you are not answering this call and it has gone to voice mail, could you remotely hang up from this call please so we can continue our conversation?"

Yeah! That is how it works on every other verizon phone I have ever had! Nice find!

Now if there was just a send key.. Ha!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Wow... where has that link been when I've been looking for it :) This is the first time in 10 years with VZW I've heard about the "double SEND" to hangup. Wow... Thanks for posting this. Now I'm gonna have to try it. There are plenty of VZW reps who don't know this. But... I guess that's not news :)

-Frank

p.Fresh

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I got my HTC Rezound 5 days ago and I love it! I noticed on Day 4 however that when on a conference call there is absolutely no option to end only one of the calls. The only option is to end both calls. I called Verizon and was told: that when making a conference (or 3-way whatever u wanna call it lol) call that; since I initiated the call when I hang up I would end the call and both parties would get disconnected. As I was talking to the rep I received a call on the other line. I answered it and quickly ended that call, only to realize that both calls were disconnected. The rep was nice enough to call me right back. She tried calling me from another line on a call-waiting call and walked thru the steps with me only to realize, like myself, there was no option to end one of the calls. She even asked a co-worker who had the Rezound as well. Today I spoke with Tech Support and I am still baffled. I had the G2 on T-Mobile before this and never had this problem. I had the options to either conference the calls, end one of the calls, or put one on hold while I talk to the other. Don't know if its the phone, Verizon, or HTC to blame but I am only 5 days in and will be replacing for maybe an iPhone... Really prefer Android though....:-[

Last edited:

Tom Johnson1

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I realize this is an old thread.

This has been an issue with Verizon phones since day one. They don't want to fix it. It costs people with limited minutes, and it's just another way Verizon nickel and dimes people.

Kelly Rinaldi

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a Metro PCS LG Motion and i have the same problem, when i call someone 3way i cant end one call and stay with the other and make another 3way call, i have to hang up on everybody and start over and it sux

Nabeela Raka

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I was able to make conference call before by my Samsung galaxy s3. but I got a notification for phone software update. so I pressed the yes button and my software updated ladt week. my problem is after updating I can't make confronted call. what should I do now.?

Chasidy Sims

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I just learned how to disconnect a line on a conference call without disconnecting the entire call. So yes, you CAN selectively drop a line/call. While on the call press your menu key and you'll get the option to "Manage conference call". Choose that option and then you'll get a screen that will allow you to end the call you select. Hope this helps. (I haven't tried it yet).

~Chasidy