cracked screen question.

still_smoking

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
i have a crack, but want to know how i can tell if it is the touch screen digitizer or the lcd screen. i don't have insurance, and not worried about warranty problems, since insurance would still be over $100, and warranty doesn't cover **** anyway. i cannot feel any type of flaw on the surface so think it may be the lcd screen under the touch part, but want to know what part to buy to do the replacement myself.

any one now how to tell for sure which part is cracked?

78racing

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a cracked screen on my TB; was told if all the functions and such work and are visible the glass is cracked. If it were the LCD then it would have bad spots and color problems. FYI - do not send it to Jet City Devices for repair, they did a lousy job on my repair, I had to send it back to them multiple times. Now I have a good screen but no soft key lights.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I scratched up the body a few weeks back bad enough to want it fixed. I found the replacement part for the housing online and I'm going to fix it myself. You may want to check out whether you want to just fix it yourself. Doesn't look hard if your at all mechanically inclined.

still_smoking

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
thanks guys.

yes, the plan is to fix it myself, i just want to order the correct part the first time. the digitizer and lcd are 2 completely different parts, and would like to only have to buy one. the touch screen still feels some as unbroken glass, i cannot detect any crack when i run my fingers over it, and even when lightly running my nail right along the crack i can not feel any edge or crack. i cannot imagine how fine the crack would be if i cannot teel at all if i am running my fingers along it.

each part is around $40 buck, so not a huge deal, but would like to only have to spend the money once.

thanks again.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That's better than my girlfriend, who completely shattered her Droid Charge screen. I'm looking into fixing that for her as well because the warranty won't cover it. It looks like a putting in a new screen is generally more difficult than just replacing a housing, but after replacing the HDD in my Asus netbook, I have been emboldened.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
thanks guys.

yes, the plan is to fix it myself, i just want to order the correct part the first time. the digitizer and lcd are 2 completely different parts, and would like to only have to buy one. the touch screen still feels some as unbroken glass, i cannot detect any crack when i run my fingers over it, and even when lightly running my nail right along the crack i can not feel any edge or crack. i cannot imagine how fine the crack would be if i cannot teel at all if i am running my fingers along it.

each part is around $40 buck, so not a huge deal, but would like to only have to spend the money once.

thanks again.

Usually, if it is the digitizer, you would feel the crack, usually.
Usually, if it is the LCD, you would see problems in the screen, usually.

Maybe, looking straight at the phone. Put a fingernail right on the crack. Now look at the phone at an extreme angle. Is the crack still at your fingernail? If so it is near the surface and more likely to be the digitizer. If the crack appears to have moved, it is more likely to be the LCD. If that makes sense.

Me, I would tear it apart to find out.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
JFTR, if you review threads in this forum, you will find that most screen/lcd replacement "do-it-yourselfers" have been less than successful. JFTR. 'Course, if you have no other alternatives...

-Frank

RodneyHamp

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hate to hijack the thread, but I don't want to start another thread on the same topic. I have a cracked digitizer, the glass is cracked all the way from the left side to the right side. The phone is perfectly usable, absolutely no problems other than a visible crack (one you can feel with your finger) on the glass. I am hesitant to bring it to a local secondary store to have it fixed (I have no desire to mail out my phone and be without it for a few days - that is not an option). My worry is that when they put it back together, it just won't be right. Are my concerns warranted, or am I just crazy? Anyone have any experience with these small shops that say they can repair it?

mtjoy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I scratched up the body a few weeks back bad enough to want it fixed. I found the replacement part for the housing online and I'm going to fix it myself. You may want to check out whether you want to just fix it yourself. Doesn't look hard if your at all mechanically inclined.

Where did you get a replacement body?

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Where did you get a replacement body?

Repairsuniverse.com

I actually just got done replacing it. All is well. I found a YouTube video of a teardown and followed it. The video didnt do a good job of showing that the bottom piece (directly beneath the captive buttons) is glued down, as is the grill covering the earpiece speaker at the top of the phone. But at least for my phone, the housing came off with very little effort. My screen wasn't scratched so i didn't have to mess with it. It looks brand new.

It cost me $35 plus $5 for shipping, but I hate having a phone that looks chewed up. If you're like me, it's worth it.

I should add two things. First, the volume rocker came out when I pulled the housing off. I put it back and it feels clickier in a nice way now. Second, if you do this, make sure you have a good set of tiny screwdrivers for the job. I got a set for less than $8 years ago and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtjoy

mtjoy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Repairsuniverse.com

I actually just got done replacing it. All is well. I found a YouTube video of a teardown and followed it. The video didnt do a good job of showing that the bottom piece (directly beneath the captive buttons) is glued down, as is the grill covering the earpiece speaker at the top of the phone. But at least for my phone, the housing came off with very little effort. My screen wasn't scratched so i didn't have to mess with it. It looks brand new.

It cost me $35 plus $5 for shipping, but I hate having a phone that looks chewed up. If you're like me, it's worth it.

I should add two things. First, the volume rocker came out when I pulled the housing off. I put it back and it feels clickier in a nice way now. Second, if you do this, make sure you have a good set of tiny screwdrivers for the job. I got a set for less than $8 years ago and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Thanks for the info. I saw that video you referred to on YouTube as well, but found this one to be more informative:

HTC Thunderbolt Take Apart Screen Repair Guide - Video

I disassembled mine the other night since I got moisture in between the lcd and digitizer. The volume rocker came out on mine as well. I did notice that the power button doesn't seem as 'flat' as before. Thanks again for the info on the body. I will be picking one up.