New Owner Of A Thunderbolt!

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello! So I just purchased a thunderbolt about 20 minutes ago, and I have 3 questions, how can I get the weather to say Chino Hills, CA ? I had it say it like that on my incredible last year when I had one..

is it possible to have my text messages in one inbox, like instead of all messages, I'd rather just have it be SMS / MMS only no all messages or voicemail thing. lol.

and finally, if it says 4G LTE in the corner, is it using it? because I am connected to WiFi so I don't know why it would be using LTE.

judpma012

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
1. make sure your GPS is active and your weather app will catch up
2. No... your MESSAGE box will stay active if your not rooted. You don't have to use it, but it will show all your messages'
3. you are either on 3G or 4G or Wi-Fi ..or not on at all. No combination of any two of them

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Okay thanks on the other two, but I'm trying to type in my city for the weather.. which I could do with my Droid Incredible.. and if not, my current location is California, not showing the city in.. but I can get an 90 meter lock ominous Google maps..

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Okay thanks on the other two, but I'm trying to type in my city for the weather.. which I could do with my Droid Incredible.. and if not, my current location is California, not showing the city in.. but I can get an 90 meter lock ominous Google maps..

It use current location on the weather application. Couldn't find my hometown either unless I did it via gps.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

The weather comes from wherever the closest cell tower or I should say the tower your phone connects to. I sat in one place and was in four different places in the span of a half an hour. You may be able to change it and keep it as a location city. But usually it's close enough to have the same weather as your having where you are. I'm good with that.

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The weather comes from wherever the closest cell tower or I should say the tower your phone connects to. I sat in one place and was in four different places in the span of a half an hour. You may be able to change it and keep it as a location city. But usually it's close enough to have the same weather as your having where you are. I'm good with that.

well the cell tower must have moved, because I used to be in Chino Hills, CA (my hometown) to the closest being Ontario, CA (20 miles away) and I live in a city where there are hills, while Ontario, CA is flat, so there is going to be a weather difference.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

90 meter lock is not good. Sounds like your phone is probably having GPS/location issues. Do you have the latest software updates installed? What version is your software?

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Android 2.2.1 and if it can get 90 meters I would expect it to locate me in Chino Hills, CA.. and the GPS locks on fine now. But it stills shows my location on the HTC weather as "California".

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I had issues with the HTC weather widget on my Incredible and got Fancy Widgets. I actually like it better. There are so many different skins you can choose....really adds to the customization of your home screen. I love it. I have it now on my Thunderbolt too. I use the accu weather and it is accurate. My hometown is always on it, whereas the HTC weather widget was only saying Arizona go figure....

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Android 2.2.1 and if it can get 90 meters I would expect it to locate me in Chino Hills, CA.. and the GPS locks on fine now. But it stills shows my location on the HTC weather as "California".

That is your android version, what is your software number? Its in the menu-settings-about phone-software section. Should have 1.70.605.0 if you have the most current version. The Weather Widget that came with the phone is a little finicky unfortunately for some people. Mine's been pretty good overall but has displayed just "Current Location" for several days while at home. Have you taken the phone other places yet to see if it does the same thing no matter where you go?

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
3. you are either on 3G or 4G or Wi-Fi ..or not on at all. No combination of any two of them

Actually you can be 3G and 4G (not at the same time), but if you are in CDMA/EvDo and LTE mode at the same time, it will constantly scan for the 4G....battery killer, but, you have that option. Download the program "LTE On/Off".

If you have the unlimited plan......use 4G when you can....but, if you are a new Thunderbolt customer (well, after July 7th), then you are are the 2GB tier plan. Keep in mind that if you have your GPS on all the time, that will eat data. I only turn my GPS on when I go running (SportyPal and/or Endomondo) or I am driving somewhere I am not familiar with.

When I am home, I flip to my WiFi.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Note on the GPS/Data thing. The GPS itself pulls very, very little data. The "assisted" (the "a" part of "aGPS") means that the phone will send small packets requesting the location of the nearest towers and receive a small packet in return. It then uses cell tower triangulation to approximate your location so the GPS radio knows what satellites to look for. This speeds up GPS lock immensely.

Cell triangulation uses data (as I well know, having been caught paying for it back when I had a phone without a data plan), but using the GPS for several days solid never got me anywhere NEAR a megabyte of data (it took a few days for me to discover that I was being billed for that data, and it added up to a sum total of a couple of bucks). Once the GPS has a satellite lock, it stops sending the data packets - the satellite lock is far more accurate. If it loses lock (inside, heavy tree cover, urban canyon, tunnel, etc) it starts doing the data packet thing again.

A lot of GPS applications will use a lot of data, of course. Mapping apps will frequently download map data, which can really use up a lot of data, especially if you use satellite imagery. But the actual GPS isn't really using much data.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
A lot of GPS applications will use a lot of data, of course. Mapping apps will frequently download map data, which can really use up a lot of data, especially if you use satellite imagery. But the actual GPS isn't really using much data.

I think that is what the local tech reporter meant....I know PINGING a signal doesn't take a lot of data, but like you said, put that with a heavy intensive MAP program and that can add up....maybe only a few bucks....but that is $3 you can use for Starbucks.....LOLOL

:)

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Why did you buy a Thunderbolt today? You really should return it and hold out for another month or two to see the new phones that come out.

It's ok, everyone makes mistakes.

I own a Thunderbolt. No way I'd buy one today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca