Dropped phone screen didnt crack HELP!!!!

tmijares95

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So I Dropped my thunderbolt in the morning in carpet and the screen didnt crack but now the Actual screen has lines going trough it inside the screen when turned on and has a blue hueish color to it

Can I Just Call Verizon And WIll They Get Me A Replacement??

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you have insurance that covers drops, you'd call whatever number you are told to call for insurance (and there'll probably be some form of deductible).

If you don't have insurance, I'm sure Verizon would be happy to SELL you a new phone. At retail. Unless you've had the phone for most of your contract period and you can get them to renew you early.

I'd suggest a protective case as a very near-term purchase once you get your phone sorted out.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Try pulling the battery and see if the lines go away if not then you will probably want to replace it. Warranty wont cover that drop but insurance will.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
as mentioned before, turn the phone off. pull the battery. press the power button for 45-60 seconds to dispel all remaining electricity. insert battery, boot up. if the lines are still there, you're out of luck.
2 options:
1) take into VZW store, ask for tech assistance--see if they can diagnose it. they might bring up a service menu that is accessible only through dialerpad combo (similar to the #4636# combo that brings up PHONE INFO) and might be able to reset some software that will fix your problem. this would be similar to the service menus accessible on the HTC Evo which allowed for sensor calibration, touchscreen calibration & sound tests). the menu's there, the public just doesn't know the dialer combo for the Thunderbolt.
2) and/or call Asurion to file an insurance claim. just read your insurance fine print first! read your warranty information first! don't have it? ask for one at the VZW store--they might direct you to Asurion website.

excerpt from VZW website:
"Asurion Wireless Phone Protection Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, offers insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If you have Wireless Phone Protection and your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the Asurion within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval. To make an insurance claim online or to obtain Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection Brochure (including all terms and conditions), please visit Asurion's website or call Asurion at (888) 881-2622. Asurion Wireless Phone protection is part of Total Equipment Coverage and is also sold separately."
source

Insurance deductible=$99 for smartphones thru Asurion (vzw insurance contracted company)

just fyi :)

Last edited:

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has gotten very strict with warranty replacements, they actually changed the language in the warranty contract about 6 months ago. Don't even try to use warranty unless you want to be charged for the refurbished model they send you. Insurance is the way to go if you have it

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Open it up if you get charged for the replacement. I dropped my previous phone (not my tbolt) and faced with the option of paying almost $400 for a replacement phone, I decided to open the phone. Luckily I found that connector that sends the signal to the screen was dislodged. Now after several more drops through the 2 years, the ribbon cable eventually ripped but I was able to extend the life enough to qualify for my upgrade. What have you got to lose?

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
t0ked......wow that's was a good idea....but I wouldn't probably been lucky....Smh.....

just call Verizon if you have insurance with them, don't even tell them you dropped it.Tell them the problem you are having. They will send you a refurb one, but better than the one you have now.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
As explained only INSURANCE will cover it. Warranty doesn't cover screen or water damage.

People who use their phones naked are using at their own risk. Accidents can happen and with the cost of these devices protect them.

fadepoint89

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I had this same exact thing happen to me. Screen went wacko and had discoloration and it would flicker with the lines going through it. I tried pulling battery and all that. Even does factory reset and it still didn't fix it. But luckily it fixed itself eventually out of nowhere.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I just dropped mine also.
Screen didn't crack, but it has vertical lines in the upper half of the screen.
I have no insurance, so I'm thinking of buying either a bad esn or damaged donor to fix mine.
Anyone have other suggestions?
--pic attached--
th_087618526_Photo10_122_161lo.jpg

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't tell Verizon that you dropped it. also, I would purchase a protective case when/if you get a new phone...it's definately worth the $15-50 you will spend for it. just out in public in the last two weeks, I've seen several people drop their phone, on concrete or on tile floors, none of them had a cover/case. one, an Iphone 4, cracked on impact. if you approach Verizon the right way, you SHOULD be able to get at least a refurbished one.

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Since your phone still works and thus far Verizon (or asurion) doesn't know its broken (hopefully) call them up and purchase insurance, once you're covered wait a day or two (just not to look really suspicious) and turn it in for a claim. Anyone who says take it to verizon as is, is mistaken because verizon would rather lose you as a customer than give you a phone at upgrade price. Another cheaper option is to take out another line on your existing plan for 10 bucks more a month and since its a new line you'll get whatever phone at the 2 yr price. Then switch the phones numbers so ucan keep your number and viola a new phone, granted at 10$ more per month for the rest of your contract. But maybe find a friend on the market to swithcarriers and give him he phone and he or she can fix or replace it. My experience wth fixing phones yourself has been mixed generally its a headache but much cheaper however realize that disasembly adds more opportunities to screw up more stuff and a pile of plastic and metal and screws is alot less useful than a work phone with half a screen.

madeline6

May 5, 2014
Visit site
My phone just dropped on the floor and when I picked it up, it had glitches with vertical lines that were different colors and now I don't know what to do cause I just checked my phone and I can't even see the time or the date. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!