Has anyone used DLNA?

C-3PO

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
When this phone was launched, HTC bragged about the wireless connectivity to DLNA compatible TV's yet I have never heard anyone talk about using it on their phones. Does anyone know how to even activate this feature? Where are the HTC DLNA adapters?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You can connect it to a television by opening the stock music player and selecting your television as the player. However, to use on other devices such as an XBOX 360, I had to purchase Twonky from the Market.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

sparkerc

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I just opened up the connected media app on the phone. Selected the video that I wanted to stream and a few moments later, a window popped IP on my TV asking if I would like to accept the connection. I said yes and the video was streaming. I was rally rather surprised how easily it worked.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It works great if the unit you are streaming to acts as a DLNA Server. To connect to my Blu-Ray player I had to install Twonky Server which used to be a free standalone piece of Twonky because the Blu-Ray player is only a DLNA Client and so is the Thunderbolt.

To use DLNA you need to launch the Connected Media app that came already installed on the phone. If the phone doesn't see your TV or vice versa then you need to run Twonky.

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It worked better on the Sense 3.0 ROMs I ran a few months ago. I haven't used it since. I usually just stream media from my computer to my tv. When I'm at my GF's I use my Asus Transformer to do it. I'm running CM7, so its either twonky or nothing (maybe the 5.00 app from DoubleTwist would do it too). I have been using DLNA to broadcast stuff on my tv though my ps3 for years! Love it. I wish it was more like screen sharing than just playing media from your sd card (kinda like iphone/airplay). but I haven't found a use for that.

Vagrant_1

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It worked better on the Sense 3.0 ROMs I ran a few months ago. I haven't used it since. I usually just stream media from my computer to my tv. When I'm at my GF's I use my Asus Transformer to do it. I'm running CM7, so its either twonky or nothing (maybe the 5.00 app from DoubleTwist would do it too). I have been using DLNA to broadcast stuff on my tv though my ps3 for years! Love it. I wish it was more like screen sharing than just playing media from your sd card (kinda like iphone/airplay). but I haven't found a use for that.
How did you get it working with your ps3?

Reactions: Slapnpop826

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
How did you get it working with your ps3?

When I use my transformer, I use MyNet. When I use my Win7 PC, i enable sharing, place my video files in \Videos\. My Thunderbolt didn't broadcast with stock 2.1 well with the PS3. It worked for me on the TeamBAMF 3D Roms a while back. I've been on CM7 for a few weeks now.

You must have a router with UPnP enabled.

tcorkum

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I was just trying it last night with my PS3 and I could only connect to my PC that was a server. both the phone and PS3 could connect to the PC but not to each other. Is there a way to make the PS3 a server.

The reason I was trying this was that I was watching NFL Redzone on the phone and thought it would be great to stream this onto the TV.

I see that you can play from the SD card but do you know if it is capable of streaming?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I was just trying it last night with my PS3 and I could only connect to my PC that was a server. both the phone and PS3 could connect to the PC but not to each other. Is there a way to make the PS3 a server.

The reason I was trying this was that I was watching NFL Redzone on the phone and thought it would be great to stream this onto the TV.

I see that you can play from the SD card but do you know if it is capable of streaming?

No, that is not how DLNA works. You are talking about screen sharing, which I don't think can be done over wifi (almost certain). Only thing I know works like that is iPhone and apple tv, but it isn't true screen sharing. Only AirPlay apps work on apple TV, much like items being transcoded from the sd card.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
+1 ^^^^ Andrew is correct. You cannot export a live stream via DLNA from the TBolt. Only data stored on the phone can be shared via DLNA. I'm not sure how hard it is to change the XBOX to act as a DLNA Server but it's pretty easy to change the phone with a simple to use app.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Using the stock Connected Media app to show individual pictures or a slide show of photos has extremely slow transitions. Is that what other people experience? Will a paid app work better? Videos and music seem to work fine as far as streaming with little buffering. Why are the photo transitions so slow? My WiFi network is fairly fast at 11-12 Mbps down.

Thanks, Robrecht

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Using the stock Connected Media app to show individual pictures or a slide show of photos has extremely slow transitions. Is that what other people experience? Will a paid app work better? Videos and music seem to work fine as far as streaming with little buffering. Why are the photo transitions so slow? My WiFi network is fairly fast at 11-12 Mbps down.

Thanks, Robrecht

Firstly, DLNA is a WLAN protocol. Your home internet connection download speed is irrelevant. What is relevant is the speed of the slowest wireless technology. If you are running Wireless-N on the phone and the router, but the TV is Wireless-G, then keep in mind everything might as well be G. And yes, when it comes to DLNA, Wireless-N matters. Yes, everything could work off of older tech, but especially the videos never seem as smooth.

I do notice that the "slideshow" animation is significantly slowed compared to my phone as well. It is normal as far as I can tell.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Firstly, DLNA is a WLAN protocol. Your home internet connection download speed is irrelevant. What is relevant is the speed of the slowest wireless technology. If you are running Wireless-N on the phone and the router, but the TV is Wireless-G, then keep in mind everything might as well be G. And yes, when it comes to DLNA, Wireless-N matters. Yes, everything could work off of older tech, but especially the videos never seem as smooth.

I do notice that the "slideshow" animation is significantly slowed compared to my phone as well. It is normal as far as I can tell.
Yeah, technically I suppose the download speed might only be directly relevant to my iMediaShare-DLNA connection being very slow, and it is very slow also, but I figured that my 11-12 Mbps down would also indicate that whatever the rate limiting factor in my home network is, it still should be a fast enough network to handle photo transitions easily enough.

I will have to look into the N vs G question. Thanks.

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I installed Samsung AllShare on my PC and it streams lovely to my TB & PS3 and I can use it to stream files from my TB to my PC & PS3. I love this program! and it's free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam