stock thunderbolt wont boot :(

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
my thunderbolt witch i got in march and has been nothing but great to me. but last night i went to reboot my phone before i went to bed and started to reboot fine but it get stuck on the thunderbolt splash screen. i just thought it had to take longer to boot for somereason. so i set a second alarm clock and went to bed when i got up this morning i still found the phone stuck on the thunderbolt splash screen. about ten mins latter the battery died. at that point i pulled the battery left it for 10mins put it back in and tried to reboot. and once again im stuck looking at a thunderbolt splash screen :( i dont no where to go from here. its not rooted. i dont know if i should go into verizon and see what they can do. i dont have insurance so im not sure if they would even help me. If anyone here can help me i would be very greatfull.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You won't need insurance. The phone comes with a 1 year warranty. This would be a defect and will be covered by warranty. Hopefully someone has a suggestion to try but you could just try going straight to Verizon.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
One thing you can do on your next upgrade is get an extended warranty for 1.99 a month. Well worth it. I had to actually use it. Prior to my upgrade on the TB

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes there is a deductible but in a situation that the warrenty is needed..its well worth paying $100 for a replacement rather than $500 for a brand new one. The op doesn't need the warrenty for this. A factory reset should fix the prob. My guess is that a resently dl'd app is causing the incomplete wake up. You can call customer service (verizon) tech support and they will step you through it

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
One thing you can try is while booting the phone hold volume down to get into bootloader, then select recovery. I have not personally seen the stock recovery but use the volume buttons to navigate to a "wipe cache" then press power.

Just something to try, otherwise just talk to verizon, they never charged me for a warranty replacement you just have to send your old one back.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
But its got a deductible fee right?

Not on the extended warranty. I got it on the Incredible and the month after the year having it.......the screen was defective.......bouncing all over the place. I tried everything before calling Verizon. And I took it to the store for them to look at it. Factory reset did nothing. Because I had an extended warranty I got a replacement FREE. The only time you have a deductible is with insurance. You file an insurance claim thru Assurion and that is where the deductible takes place. BUT not with an extended warranty..........

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
i dont have insurance so im not sure if they would even help me. If anyone here can help me i would be very greatfull.

I dropped my phone back in August....cracked the screen badly...it still worked, but if I took off the screen protector, the screen would have just feel to pieces. I called Verizon and was told that I didn't have insurance on the phone....even though the last 12 phones I have had, had insurance...I was pissed!. The customer service lady was nice and said that they will replace the phone but i have to pay $100. I didn't know at the time that the 4G phones are now $100 deductible. Well, to make a long story shorter....I didn't get a replacement phone then, I just lived with my ugly cracked screen. Then I started messing with rooting my phone....tried a bunch of them....didn't like the results (I am impatient), so I went back to 100% stock. Well, after getting everything working, I tried (in hopes of GB was OTA updating), and it gave me a ERROR: SERVER and it wouldn't update. I thought it was something that I did....I tried for 2 hours....every time I tried....I got the same error. So, I went to the Verizon store to pay my bill anyways and had the guy look at it. He asked to factory reset, switched this off and that on and this off and that on....NOTHING....he looked at me and said "We will get you a new phone (refurb)". I said I don't have the $100, he said "No, our fault...we replace it for free". Well, the wednesday after labor.....my new refurb phone arrived.

I tell you all of this because if it is VERIZON"s fault.....they will replace it for free!.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
But its got a deductible fee right?

There shouldnt be a deductible on a warranty policy. That would be ******ed. You are thinking about insurance. Insurance has a $100 deductible. No way the warranty will have one. The phone is guaranteed from manufacturers defects for a year.

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes there is a deductible but in a situation that the warrenty is needed..its well worth paying $100 for a replacement rather than $500 for a brand new one. The op doesn't need the warrenty for this. A factory reset should fix the prob. My guess is that a resently dl'd app is causing the incomplete wake up. You can call customer service (verizon) tech support and they will step you through it

Sorry there's no deductible for the extended warrenty. The benifit of that is having the manufature warrenty extended through the second year of your contract. The only deductible is for the insurance. As an ex verizon tech..I highly recommend anyone to have both if you can afford it.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
How is your refurbish? Is it decent?

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk

Sister Jude,

Are you asking me or someone else?. Since I don't know, I will answer anyways....LOLOL

My replacement phone is working flawlessly...just the capacitive lights not coming on at night....but a battery pull fixed that.

My daughter went through 3 TBolts before she got one that worked (I think a couple of them where her inpatients with them). I haven't rooted mine or modified anything....100% Verizon STOCK and in almost 3 weeks, no random REBOOTS or anything else. On an occasion the screen freezes up and I have to wait about 30 seconds before I get it back and that is probably because I am doing a bunch of things on it at the time. I am running around 120 programs (installed that is).

I was told my the VZW store dude that the refurbs are usually better because when they get them, they actually hand hold them through the refurb process and the QA is actually done manually on every phone unlike the factory made QA'd ones that run on a big machine.