A new issue. Should I so a factory reset

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
This has happened twice. Three days ago and then about two hours ago.
I tap on the green call button to make a call. In the blink of an eye the green button shows. It wont let me make a call. Tap. Tries to connect but it doesn't. I hope I am explaining this OK. I got a call and couldn't answer. I turned phone off . Powered back on and functioning ok. Went to the store and said I should do a factory reset.

The screen doesn't freeze. Just wont release to make the call. Everything else works. Texting. Internet. Really weird.
If happens a 3rd time will take to store as is and not power off.

Have any of you had this happen?
Thanks all......
sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Over the years I have very occasionally had it happen where the phone simply would not call out or receive calls without a reboot. Even had it happen on flip-phones. Had it happen on my TBolt twice in 6 months. Usually, on both a smartphone or a dumb-phone, this has to do with the operating system being "confused". There are prolly only 13,334,022 possible reasons for that. But, if you try each one you should be able to narrow it down. Or... you could just reboot.

Just for completeness, it also happened on my Palm Treo (WinMo) and my HTC Touch Pro2 (WinMo) as well as flip-phones. Never owned a Blackberry.

Bottom line, as long is it is very seldom, ignore it. If it happens too often, start looking at what apps are keeping your operating system so damned busy that it can't dial or answer a call. You'll probably find that the CPU is just too busy to handle the call, due to some other {disgusting!} process.

BTW, although the lack of a decent data connection on the TBolt does not directly affect the ability to dial out or receive calls, the fact that the phone is probably incessantly trying to re-acquire the data signal could keep the radio too busy to call out or receive calls. The upcoming GB update does have a new radio relative to the current MR2 build.

-Frank

Last edited:

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Do you have fast boot enabled? If so, then turning off your phone doesn't really turn your phone off all the way. Before you go to the trouble of a hard reset, I would first pull the battery to make sure the phone is all the way off and the reboot is complete. If the problem recurs in short order, then I would consider a hard reset. Verizon tech support & customer service has always pushed hard resets way too much, but now that the Market automatically re-installs almost all of your programs, the diagnostic value of a hard reset is even further diminished.

Thanks, Robrecht

Reactions: Jude526

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you have fast boot enabled? If so, then turning off your phone doesn't really turn your phonebut now that the Market automatically re-installs almost all of your programs, the diagnostic value of a hard reset is even further diminished.
Good point. And, since everybody is using MyBackup Pro, from the Market, it certainly lessens the pain of a hard reset. Although, in this case, I'm thinking something less invasive might help.

-Frank

Reactions: Jude526

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I don't use the fast boot. I did pull the battery ....actually did that at the store cause I couldn't get the cover off

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the Back-up Pro is having it in bold print a little hint;)
Ya' think? :)

Great app, really. For example... a week ago when I was on a Cruise ship using their Wifi, I not only set my own phone up for Wifi to use around the ship but also setup another account for a fellow passenger to test and make sure it was ready for their use. Problem was, for the life of me I could not get my browser to "forget" my traveling friends user/pswd info. I tried "everything" (including the procedure --coincidently-- shown on todays Android Central Android 101 article). I did finally get the cached page gone! Anyway, I cleared so much stuff that eventually, somehow, I inadvertently deleted my browser Favorites. I don't know about you, but I've got tons of these things. Typing in URLs in a phone is such a PITA I can't hardly live without shortcuts for all my customary sites.

I was able, easily, to pull up MyBackup Pro and restore ONLY my Favorites in a minute or so.

Lots of reasons to run MyBackup Pro, or some other backup program.

-Frank

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Jude what apps are you using? Such as launchers,Sms applications....etc

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
I am stock for SMS I do have Fancy Widget though for the weather, like it better than stock No special launcher...........everything is stock I do though use smartkeyboard Pro prefer it over stock.
I am not a game player. I do listen to CD's I have downloaded on to the phone and I do listen to Pandora, but haven't been too much. I have business calendar, color note I use the Google nav a lot. Docs to Go
Watchdog Tapatalk Privacy Star, SuperBox PowerMax, Txt Mes Away if can't text back right away,
my bank, amazon app store, I have a grocery store app, barcode scanner......Dex exercise apps for when I exercise: yoga also have Android Cleaner
I don't use things out of the ordinary for me. I use the internet, I have some special wallpapers

As you can see rather boring on it LOL

:confused:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Ya' think? :)

Great app, really. For example... a week ago when I was on a Cruise ship using their Wifi, I not only set my own phone up for Wifi to use around the ship but also setup another account for a fellow passenger to test and make sure it was ready for their use. Problem was, for the life of me I could not get my browser to "forget" my traveling friends user/pswd info. I tried "everything" (including the procedure --coincidently-- shown on todays Android Central Android 101 article). I did finally get the cached page gone! Anyway, I cleared so much stuff that eventually, somehow, I inadvertently deleted my browser Favorites. I don't know about you, but I've got tons of these things. Typing in URLs in a phone is such a PITA I can't hardly live without shortcuts for all my customary sites.

I was able, easily, to pull up MyBackup Pro and restore ONLY my Favorites in a minute or so.

Lots of reasons to run MyBackup Pro, or some other backup program.

-Frank

Once I have a job, I will get it, but for now, have to hold off. I wish my brother was still in Ft. Collins...
I love Colorado He is in the Branson area now.