Now that gingerbread is here. what is different then froyo

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if there is an official changelog anywhere, but the general differences between Froyo and GB can be found online. (example).

Also, I'm not sure if it was included with the official GB update for Thunderbolt or not (I'm rooted and running BAMF Forever), but one nice addition I like that isn't obvious at first is the inclusion of the "trace" keyboard, similar to swype.

To be honest, I've been running GB for so long now that I can't remember a lot of the differences between this release and the previous Froyo. A lot of it is stuff "under the hood", but there are also a lot of little improvements to the user interface as well.

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed that some of the HTC widgets listed in the "Get more HTC widgets" will now install where they wouldn't when running Froyo.

Like:
Sand Timer
Fake Call
Daily Challenge
Tasks
Tip Calculator
Today in History

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Also, I'm not sure if it was included with the official GB update for Thunderbolt or not (I'm rooted and running BAMF Forever), but one nice addition I like that isn't obvious at first is the inclusion of the "trace" keyboard, similar to swype.

No, it was not. The keyboard looks exactly the same, and the settings for the keyboard are exactly the same.

I must admit that this version is pretty much a complete letdown from a user experience standpoint. No trace-type keyboard, the changes in Sense are almost too subtle to notice, no front-facing camera in Google Talk (which is the primary reason I chose this phone over the AT&T version). I'm sure there are some good things going on underneath, but from the surface view adding Go Launcher was FAR more profound an upgrade.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
No, it was not. The keyboard looks exactly the same, and the settings for the keyboard are exactly the same.

I must admit that this version is pretty much a complete letdown from a user experience standpoint. No trace-type keyboard, the changes in Sense are almost too subtle to notice, no front-facing camera in Google Talk (which is the primary reason I chose this phone over the AT&T version). I'm sure there are some good things going on underneath, but from the surface view adding Go Launcher was FAR more profound an upgrade.

Hmmm...I wasn't sure if the trace keyboard was a GB thing or a Sense 3.0 thing...

If it's there, it will be under "Settings --> Language and Keyoard --> Touch Input -->Trace Keyboard"