[Q] 3g Mobile Hotspot Speeds

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
So please forgive me because I'm have only used hotspot once when it was on free trial because it kept dropping connection and I gave up. So right now I had to activate the hotspot on my acct due to being on vaction for next 3 weeks and having no free wifi around this area. This is a 3g area and right now I'm seeing like 0.20 Mbps down and same upload.

There is next to no wireless networks around just to put that information out there. Now I totally get I was not going to get amazing speeds but based on what I was told and read I expected something closer to 1Mpbs - 3 down and 0.5 Mpbs upload. Also I get non-stop timeout / drops from the network. Am I doing something wrong or should I try to contact VZ again and tell them what is going on an hope they can do something on their end?

Thanks for any advice that can be shed on this subject I just want something decently reliable for next 3 weeks to use for internet and don't mind paying the 30$.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think it really just depends on your area. Speeds can be very bad or very good. Around the (well provisioned) Denver metro area, when it was 3G (4G now) I used to get around 300-600MB down and about the same up. Never extremelly good, but very adaquate. I don't think I ever saw anything over 1MB down.

If you are in a more remote and less well built out area, I would expect it could be less.

-Frank

bman123

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
3g is funny my experience with it has never been great maybe 500-600 down max on my phone I'd expect half that when tethering. I don't think there's much you can do other then deal with it which sucks because that speed isn't too hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty