New Battery Graph

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
While I love the new battery graph, clearly showing amount of time that I've been on battery, does anyone know how to decipher the info below the chart? I'm having a hard time understanding it.

Phone Signal, Wifi, awake, Screen on and charging all have some lines randomely shaded. Ive seen this type of thing before, but confused. Like right now, I've been on battery for about 6 hours and have nothing shaded for Charging... but have random areas shaded everywhere else.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
While I love the new battery graph, clearly showing amount of time that I've been on battery, does anyone know how to decipher the info below the chart? I'm having a hard time understanding it.

Phone Signal, Wifi, awake, Screen on and charging all have some lines randomely shaded. Ive seen this type of thing before, but confused. Like right now, I've been on battery for about 6 hours and have nothing shaded for Charging... but have random areas shaded everywhere else.
I believe it is showing the periods of time on each. I had to look at it a while, but it looks about right to me. Not sure what period of time it covers, though.

What do you mean you've "been on battery", but it doesn't show "charging"? Why would it?

-Frank

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is a timeline.

If I charge mine for a while, I get a green segment on the "Charging" row for the amount of time on charge. As soon as I unplug the charger, even if it got no where near 100%, it resets to only the 'on battery" time. So the charging time bar is a bit pointless in that case.

Not sure I exactly understand the differene between "Awake" and "Screen on". Until now, I thought those were the same, but obviously not.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
where can you see this graph?

Menu / Settings / About Phone / Battery / Battery Use. This shows a graph that tells you what components of your phone are eating up your battery.

On that screen, there's a (new!) crude chart at the top that shows a history of your battery level, with the words "#h ##m ##s on battery" overlaid over the chart. Tap there and you'll see a "battery consumption history" chart.

It appears to start from the time you last unplugged your phone, and shows the "curve" of your battery loss.

Down at the bottom, there are a bunch of lines marked "Phone signal" and so on. Those lines show, for each moment represented in the battery charge chart above, what features of your phone were in use.

The "phone signal" one shows green if you were in 1x signal, and yellow for 3G. Grey appears to represent no signal. It almost looks like the yellow is shaded to try and represent signal strengths, too. At least those colors seem to coincide with the signal I've received during those times. My desk with its crappy signal is a great place to test this!

There may be a separate color for 4G, but I'd have to drive over 100 miles to test that. :'(

The remainder of the lines appear to be colored in blue if that feature was on during that time, and black if the feature was not in use.

I'm guessing at all of this, but it looks pretty obvious and all of the data lines up with my actual usage, signal, etc.

rpz3.14

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
FYI, Awake represents the phone being in full active state. This always happens if the screen is on and can happen when you have music or a GPS program running, or if a program hangs.

If you're noticing a lot of awake time when one of those types of programs aren't running, you can download spare parts and select "Partial Wake Usage" to determine what programs are causing your phone to wake up.

When the phone isn't awake, it goes into a low power state, often with a capped clock speed (based on the kernel and governor used).

Reactions: natehoy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol