Update Erased Phone

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Quick back story then my question..

Back in July got my wife a Thunderbolt off of craigslist. At the time phone was rooted. She wanted it stock, so I unrooted, which put back to MR1, but loaded the official MR2 RUU on it. The phone worked fine after that but I for whatever reason I left the MR2 RUU on the sd card.

Well yesterday, she was having trouble downloading the new OTA update, but we finally got it downloaded OTA. When it went to install it, the screen that shows the update process bar at the bottom came on just like it did on mine, but it only stayed on that screen for a few seconds. Then the phone rebooted and was a clean version of MR2.

Since the phone already hard reset, I deleted MR2 off the sd and just downloaded the new RUU for 2.3 and loaded onto her phone and it is working fine now.

I'm just wondering why it would reset the phone like that. I'm thinking it was because I left MR2 on the sd card. Anybody know for sure? It's not a big deal now, I just want to know for furture reference if leaving the old RUU on the sd card messed it up or did something else cause this.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Quick back story then my question..

Back in July got my wife a Thunderbolt off of craigslist. At the time phone was rooted. She wanted it stock, so I unrooted, which put back to MR1, but loaded the official MR2 RUU on it. The phone worked fine after that but I for whatever reason I left the MR2 RUU on the sd card.

Well yesterday, she was having trouble downloading the new OTA update, but we finally got it downloaded OTA. When it went to install it, the screen that shows the update process bar at the bottom came on just like it did on mine, but it only stayed on that screen for a few seconds. Then the phone rebooted and was a clean version of MR2.

Since the phone already hard reset, I deleted MR2 off the sd and just downloaded the new RUU for 2.3 and loaded onto her phone and it is working fine now.

I'm just wondering why it would reset the phone like that. I'm thinking it was because I left MR2 on the sd card. Anybody know for sure? It's not a big deal now, I just want to know for furture reference if leaving the old RUU on the sd card messed it up or did something else cause this.

This is just my thoughts.If you did the install from the RUU, that has the new radio in it and will take your phone to a factory reset state. The OTA that was pushed on Monday night doesn't wipe your data.

Someone will correct me here I know, but the OTA has the MR2 in it and that just overwrote the MR2 you had on your SD card.

What I would do (and I have), is create a directory on your SD card called "ROMS" or "Radios" and copy the RUU or radio's or custom ROMS in there. For example, I have the radios called PG05IMG_radio and the OTA called "PG05IMG_GB.zip". That way, if I want to refresh or factory reset it, I just copy the ROM over to the SD card main directory and rename it without the "GB" and redo it.

Pennyw1se

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I was PISSED, to say the least. I rooted earlier this year but then un-rooted a few months ago. I downloaded the OTA update but the 15 minute update seemed to take way too quickly. Next thing I know I'm re-entering my set up info. Phone was factory reset back to 2.2.1. I checked for an update again and the next update ran fine.

I was more upset with having to re-download all my apps, which did NOT download automatically.
I KNEW I should have backed up first. :'(

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I was PISSED, to say the least. I rooted earlier this year but then un-rooted a few months ago. I downloaded the OTA update but the 15 minute update seemed to take way too quickly. Next thing I know I'm re-entering my set up info. Phone was factory reset back to 2.2.1. I checked for an update again and the next update ran fine.

I was more upset with having to re-download all my apps, which did NOT download automatically.
I KNEW I should have backed up first. :'(

Do you know if you had the old RUU on your sd card?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Pennyw1se

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if you had the old RUU on your sd card?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I'm 99% sure I cleaned out all old RUU files from the SD card after unrooting. Of course, there is that nagging 1% chance that I didn't. I did, however, check the card after it factory reset and there was no file on the SD card. I just don't recall if the file would have still been there. I would assume it would, otherwise, how would it have performed a 2.2.1 restore after I unrooted a few months ago?

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I would assume it would, otherwise, how would it have performed a 2.2.1 restore after I unrooted a few months ago?

I'm hoping that is what caused it. I figured this update would be the last we got for a while, but now since the VM issue I'm thinking we may get another update "soon." I just don't want her phone erased during the next OTA update too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781