gtalk & the ffc

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Tried the video chat feature in gtalk after the gingerbread update and it insists on using the rear camera. I couldn't find a way to switch to the ffc, does anyone know a fix for this? ... other than just using skype lol

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Tried the video chat feature in gtalk after the gingerbread update and it insists on using the rear camera. I couldn't find a way to switch to the ffc, does anyone know a fix for this? ... other than just using skype lol

Nope.

Skype works quite well, but I'd rather have Google Talk Video. This is what I was waiting for Gingerbread to bring. Instead, they fail on the biggest enhancement (for many of us) and break Voicemail notifications (I use Google Voice, but some calls still end up going to Verizon).

Skype also has a new (?) oddity with the new version - when I switch to the rear camera the "whole window" view becomes the view from my camera and the "preview thumbnail" becomes the remote party. I guess that kinda sorta makes sense - if I'm sending imagery from the better camera I might care more about the quality of the image I'm sending and want to see it larger-screen, but it seems kinda odd.

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for confirming what I feared lol. I tried Skype after posting this and liked it so I guess ill have convince my gtalk contacts that don't use Skype to try it out.

rich_r

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I I used to be Skype users (on our laptops). But Skype got VERY invasive and installed programs that we did not ask for or confirm. As soon as I noticed that; we uninstalled Skype and we're not going back.

I would still prefer GTalk, but in the meantime I guess we'll take a look at Fring and ooVoo.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I I used to be Skype users (on our laptops). But Skype got VERY invasive and installed programs that we did not ask for or confirm. As soon as I noticed that; we uninstalled Skype and we're not going back.

I would still prefer GTalk, but in the meantime I guess we'll take a look at Fring and ooVoo.

Tango released a PC (windows) application today, I have not tried it yet but gives you another option. I have been using Tango phone to phone and generally works well as long as you are on Wi-Fi

rich_r

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Glad to help. Don't feel dumb - we've all been there. :-[

Another helpful hint -- to enable audio/video chatting in GTalk you need to press on your name in the list of contacts and then check "Allow video and audio chats".

Last edited:

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
im not rooted but im starting to think about it more and more now. my phone is stable as is and i dont want to mess that up but some of those custom roms look pretty sweet. Does anyone know if the devs have figured out this gtalk/ffc problem in any of the gingerbread roms out there?