HTC security vulnerability

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This sucks. Not happy right now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/01/massive-security-vulnerability-in-htc-android-devices-evo-3d-4g-thunderbolt-others-exposes-phone-numbers-gps-sms-emails-addresses-much-more/

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Can it log passwords from the bank of America apparently and web browsers?
Seriously considering root now.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't know anymore than this. It was posted on G+ and I put it here so everyone gets a heads up. I've never been comfortable with rooting, but I may be doing a lot of studying about it.

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
when they presented the problem 2 h t c they seem to be very slow to respond. what an arrogant . .company. thank you very much o p .

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted, the app shows in Titanium backup as "freezable". I simply froze the app so I can get updates going forward, vs just deleting.

Any thoughts on this method anyone?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you are rooted, the app shows in Titanium backup as "freezable". I simply froze the app so I can get updates going forward, vs just deleting.

Any thoughts on this method anyone?

Since freezing in TiB prevents the app from running, it should fine to do that rather than deleting.

Sent using Tapatalk

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: Helloneumann

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

ksheth2130

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted HTC phone running the BAMF Forever 1.0.7 ROM and was wondering if we would still be affected by the security flaw since it's still running Sense, or not?

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Glad I don't bank by phone. I use prepaid cc for google payment so they can't steal much from me.

It's not collecting passwords anyway. While it's definitely something to be concerned about, let's not overreact. Personally, I've been wanting to root and flash a custom ROM anyway, so now I have an excuse. :cool:

"What it is collecting is data that is unique to your phone (IMEI and device ID), your account names, geo-location, and phone numbers from your call logs."

HTC collecting data in U.S. phones with HTC Sense, storing it in a very sloppy way | Android Central

sURFNmADNESS

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Does not appear on the rooted last update of DINC. Incredible owners can relax if you went this path. Not sure if last OTA update without root did not update sense to include the bad file in question though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad