Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Voice to text not working on first try

When I hit the microphone button the listening box appears, but my voice doesn't register. I have to hit cancel and then try again and it works....I have this problem everytime I use it.

Anyone else with this issue? Any solutions?

No but I was getting multiple text messages. I removed the battery. Removed the SIM. Reinserted. Seems OK now. Don't know if that will help but might try

sent from my Thunderbolt....and the thunder rolls !

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doctorg23 View Post
    When I hit the microphone button the listening box appears, but my voice doesn't register. I have to hit cancel and then try again and it works....I have this problem everytime I use it.

Anyone else with this issue? Any solutions?
    I do have the same issue. It is annoying. Haven't found a solution.

Try my suggestion. Or you may need to do a factory reset.

sent from my Thunderbolt....and the thunder rolls !
    Pretty good member

Have you downloaded Google's free Voice Actions from the Market?

Thanks, Robrecht

Vlingo is another alternative. It works a lot better IMO. And is free from the market.

Sent from my TapadaAtrix
    Pretty good member

Vlingo works better for me in voice dialing, but Voice Actions works better for me when navigating to websites.

Thanks, Robrecht

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Latest OTA Official ROM

I don't normally use voice to text. I am testing it now with this message. Seems to work fine.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk and voice to text.

Default Re: Voice to text not working on first try

I like the voice to text works flawlessly for me

It would work great on Droid and Droid x, but this one seems to have a problem. Maybe the additional mics? Droid x had extra mics but never had a problem. My tbolt usually takes 2-3 tries to work.
    Pretty good member

Quote Originally Posted by dontlookatme View Post
    It would work great on Droid and Droid x, but this one seems to have a problem. Maybe the additional mics? Droid x had extra mics but never had a problem. My tbolt usually takes 2-3 tries to work.
    Did you download the free Google app Voice Actions from the Market? I'm not sure why it apparetly needs to be downloaded as opposed to being fully pre-installed on the phone, but it seems to help.

The Droid X number of mics did help but I have learned with any voice to text app, you have to get in a habit of speaking clear and pronounce words correctly... After figuring out how to get WM voice command to work properly I seem to have good luck with all of those apps now.. Vlingo does well but the stock one isn't that bad after you get use to it.

Also remember the mic on the TB isn't the best for Speakerphone without setting it face down so this also seems to effect the Voice Action...

I have downloaded the app. And I could scream and it wouldn't hear a thing. I press cancel and try again, and it hears me great. I was born in u.s. speak 65% English and 34% Spanish. 1% random. My English is pretty good. So no accent. It is either software or hardware problems. Idk.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by dontlookatme View Post
    I have downloaded the app. And I could scream and it wouldn't hear a thing. I press cancel and try again, and it hears me great. I was born in u.s. speak 65% English and 34% Spanish. 1% random. My English is pretty good. So no accent. It is either software or hardware problems. Idk.
    Right. My problem is not the voice recognition not understanding me, it's that it doesn't hear anything on the first try. I'll try the battery pull etc today...

Have you tried clearing the apps cache and see if it helped?

I have updated Voice Search and it works just fine for all the voice commands: text, email web notes etc

Quote Originally Posted by doctorg23 View Post
    Right. My problem is not the voice recognition not understanding me, it's that it doesn't hear anything on the first try. I'll try the battery pull etc today...
    That's what I'm saying too.