AC Deal of the day question

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
Saw that the deal of the day was the Otterbox Defender case. Looks great, anyone use it and love it? hate it?

My main concern if from the picture there is no cut out for the two holes right about the camera, which I was told was part of the antenna. Basically I am concerned about poor service while using this case.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

Deal of the Day: OtterBox Defender Series Case for HTC Thunderbolt | Android Central Link to the offer that has a picture if you haven't seen it before.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Saw that the deal of the day was the Otterbox Defender case. Looks great, anyone use it and love it? hate it?

My main concern if from the picture there is no cut out for the two holes right about the camera, which I was told was part of the antenna. Basically I am concerned about poor service while using this case.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

Deal of the Day: OtterBox Defender Series Case for HTC Thunderbolt | Android Central Link to the offer that has a picture if you haven't seen it before.

I don't think the material that any of these cases are made out of is in any way an RF insulator. No need for cutting holes just to let radio signal in!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just wondered because all the cases I have seen for the tbolt have that cut out which makes it seem important I guess.

You could put your phone in a plastic bag and dip it in a vat of silicone and the signal should be able to pass right through it. The holes you describe are there for another reason (cooling, weight reduction, access to some ports or other, etc).

If there's one thing the Otterbox Defender does not worry about, it's weight reduction. They are BEASTS. But if you want to protect your phone at all costs, there really isn't a better option (short of the aforementioned option of putting your phone in a plastic bag and dipping it in a vat of silicone, but that makes the ports really hard to access, not to mention the screen).

zog1977

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
i have the case and love it.

i paid 50 bucks for it, so at this price it is a steal.

it is a little bit bulky, but let me tell you, the day you drop it, you will be glad you had this case.

no reception issues whatsoever.

i give it a thumbs up!

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You could put your phone in a plastic bag and dip it in a vat of silicone and the signal should be able to pass right through it. The holes you describe are there for another reason (cooling, weight reduction, access to some ports or other, etc).

If there's one thing the Otterbox Defender does not worry about, it's weight reduction. They are BEASTS. But if you want to protect your phone at all costs, there really isn't a better option (short of the aforementioned option of putting your phone in a plastic bag and dipping it in a vat of silicone, but that makes the ports really hard to access, not to mention the screen).

Actually, it is exactly as the OP suspects... If you look at the phone, any of the reasons you gave as examples would make no sense. Two minuscule pinholes do not reduce weight, act as cooling vents, or allow access to other ports. They are jargoned as "acoustic" holes for radio transmission. Its like a tiny little cone. Covering those two little holes (4G/3G) and/or the little rubber circle right below the kickstand (2G) can affect signal transmission. Usually you just get weaker signal with the holes covered.

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to question Mortiel or anyone else about this, but if this is supposed to help with reception, then why doesn't the OEM cover for the extended battery have those two holes? The cover for the standard battery has them, but not for the extended battery.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to question Mortiel or anyone else about this, but if this is supposed to help with reception, then why doesn't the OEM cover for the extended battery have those two holes? The cover for the standard battery has them, but not for the extended battery.

That's what I was thinking too. I always thought those two small holes above the camera were just mount points for the LTE/EVDO antenna, because if you look at the inside of the door, the base of the metal contacts of the antenna secure to the door via those holes. It's similar on the inside of the extended battery door, they just don't go all the way through to be visible externally.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
That's what I was thinking too. I always thought those two small holes above the camera were just mount points for the LTE/EVDO antenna, because if you look at the inside of the door, the base of the metal contacts of the antenna secure to the door via those holes. It's similar on the inside of the extended battery door, they just don't go all the way through to be visible externally.

The OEM extended battery cover does not need those holes because the piece that was the cause behind the holes was remedied by a larger cover. Do you really think they could faster the radio into the cover and NOT have holes if they wanted?

Let's put it this way: Ever notice the VZW Superior shell/holster has those holes uncovered? If they were of no importance, why would we leave them uncovered deliberately?

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
The OEM extended battery cover does not need those holes because the piece that was the cause behind the holes was remedied by a larger cover. Do you really think they could faster the radio into the cover and NOT have holes if they wanted?

Let's put it this way: Ever notice the VZW Superior shell/holster has those holes uncovered? If they were of no importance, why would we leave them uncovered deliberately?

Oh man, and to think I thought they were noise canceling microphones....

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the otterbox case and do not use it. The rubber outer cover doesnt stay sealed when taking it in and out of the holster. Also the touch screen wasn't as responsive. I had one with the droid x I used to own and I never had these problems.
I should note that I had a screen protector on both the tbolt and the x with the otterbox covers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey