OTA Gingerbread Dialer App Battery Issues

RescueEMT911

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problem AFTER the Gingerbread OTA update, when I check the battery stats it says the DIALER app is now showing up second for most battery used. The app under daily use is showing around 14-16% but when I charge over night the Dialer app is showing around 56% and it is always second highest to the Display. I have now done 5 hard resets of the phone including completely formatting the sd card, and am running the phone with no other apps installed and still the same results. I called Verizon and HTC and both say they have never heard of the problem and both offered to send a certified like new phone out. Went to the corporate store they said it seemed like a problem and I could do the same, I was able to show them on 3 of their Incredible 2 phones with sense 2.1 and Gingerbread that their phones showed the Dialer at 34% or higher.. My question is, is anyone else experiencing this problem? AFTER the gingerbread update what is your dialer usage showing as? and if people think this is a problem with Gingerbread or if it is just my phone and I should get a certified like new phone sent to me? I am hesitant to do this because I baby my phone, not a scratch on it, have always had a Seidio Active case and screen protector on it, and I am afraid getting a different phone will just bring new problems..any help is greatly appreciated!!

RescueEMT911

d1c1ple

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
same here; turned off assisted dialing; and still 2nd or 3rd most util behind display or voice calls ... dialer almost 20%

RescueEMT911

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have tried turning off assisted dialing under calls, I have also unchecked all the settings in the sound area such as flip for speakerphone and such. This last reset I am not linking my contacts to friend stream or facebook. Yet the dialer remains high under battery, and also shows that there is around 2mb of data being sent and received under the dialer app. When I had froyo this app never showed in the battery usage and my battery life was MUCH better.. so it is def. using the battery up.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Same here, mine is always second or third on the list. Maybe they will fix that too when they release the OTA again to fix the other issues.

FireMedic559

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine also had the dialer using alot of battery after update. Except today I noticed it no longer shows up! Battery has been crap since upgrading and today not much better but only thing I can think of was yesterday when I switched to my other battery I wasnt able to get it replaced right away like usual and so no battery for 2-3min not sure if that made a difference or not. Also since update my bluetooth ALWAYS shows 1% usage even when I have not even turned it on for last 4 days! And thats after restarts and battery swaps

RescueEMT911

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I do not think when they do a update the Dialer App battery use will be fixed because when I have called HTC and Verizon they both are saying that I am the first person to call about this issue, and that they have had no other complaints about the Dialer app using excessive battery. Hopefully more people will call or that they notice it themselves because this seems to be a major flaw in their update. I currently have my phone reset to factory, formatted the sd card, and made NO changes to settings, so the phone is as you would get from Verizon, and the Dialer App problem still exists.

I have been googling it though and found that on XDA Developers website this is a problem with other HTC phones with Gingerbread on them. Over there they are saying that the Dialer Application after making the first call never shuts down because it keeps polling the proximity sensor on the phone, and that the only way to stop it would be to the option to disable 'flip to mute phone'. This is just what I have found so far doing some research on it.

RescueEMT911

maddiealan

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had this problem since the Gingerbread update too. Always showing in the 30% range...right now it's 31%. I actually thought maybe it was because I had installed an app called Dial One, so I removed it, but there's been no difference at all.

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Mine iis also showing secopnd on the list. No idea if that normal or not but frankly, my battery life since the GB update is much better so unless it starts to be a problem of some sort.... I really don't care.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Everyone should be having this problem. Its been present in all the 2.11 GB releases (I've used all 3 of them). I've brought it up on here many times in every problem thread that has come out. Turning off assisted dialing doesn't really do anything. I don't have horrible battery life but I'm betting it would be better if Dialer wasn't using as much battery as it does.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I’ve also seen the Dialer listed under battery use since the GB update, although it doesn’t appear to have affected battery life in any appreciable way as far as I can tell. Overall, with the GB update, battery life seems about the same as MR2 or slightly better. I have noticed though that in the last week, the dialer is either no longer listed or at the bottom of the list using around 2%. There doesn’t seem to be any pattern as to what triggers it higher or lower.

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Dialer is also 2nd for me, but its only 6%. I will say my battery life has gotten worse since gingerbread, averaging about 4-6 hours less on the 2750 extended battery vs. Froyo. Would a factory reset help?

PS my 3G data speed has been in the toilet since gingerbread also

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

festyr

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
assisted dialing doesn't seem to be the problem. Ive tried several roms, including leaked ota, Redemption_Rom_Mecha_Beta_1, and now synergy r262 with imo 3.8.0 and all still has that issue. it does seem to lower the percentage of use the longer the phone has been running, so maybe it truly isn't a problem.

RescueEMT911

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess this is a problem with Gingerbread then and not my actual phone, so I guess having Verizon exchange it for a Certified Like New is not the answer. I can say that the Dialer App using the battery has nothing to do with other 3rd party apps because I have hard reset my phone 5 times, did not link it to Google, and formatted my SD card, and the Dialer problem does still exist. I am a light user and used to get 14 hours on my stock battery, now I am lucky to get 8! I have a question, if HTC and Verizon do not release any type of fix for the Dialer App and other problems is it possible to d/l the stock Froyo MR2 from somewhere and reflash my phone to that from Gingerbread? Or does the software and hardware not let you downgrade, where it will mess up the phone? I will prob. wait to see if they fix this issue but if they do not I would prob. put that as my list of options. Thanks!

RescueEMT911

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess this is a problem with Gingerbread then and not my actual phone, so I guess having Verizon exchange it for a Certified Like New is not the answer. I can say that the Dialer App using the battery has nothing to do with other 3rd party apps because I have hard reset my phone 5 times, did not link it to Google, and formatted my SD card, and the Dialer problem does still exist. I am a light user and used to get 14 hours on my stock battery, now I am lucky to get 8! I have a question, if HTC and Verizon do not release any type of fix for the Dialer App and other problems is it possible to d/l the stock Froyo MR2 from somewhere and reflash my phone to that from Gingerbread? Or does the software and hardware not let you downgrade, where it will mess up the phone? I will prob. wait to see if they fix this issue but if they do not I would prob. put that as my list of options. Thanks!

RescueEMT911

I have also seen the dialer issue since GB. To answer your question about Froyo MR2 flash, you can not flash a lower build unless you are rooted...or at least have permanent s-off bootloader through the Revolutionary tool. I used Revolutionary to achieve a permanent s-off state bootloader so I could flash leaks and flash back to stock as needed.

If you go back to Froyo, at some point when they do release the next official MR, you will at some point be prompted to install the OTA. I have heard of OTAs installing even without user input, so it may not be possible to stay on Froyo forever.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've read it may have something to do with the native messaging app causing the problem. Try switching to a different message app like Handcent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12