Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is there a "safe mode" boot up option?

Is there a way to boot the ThunderBolt in what would be the equivalent of Windows' "safe mode" -- i.e., only default system services and settings? Since the Gingerbread update, my phone has been rebooting frequently, quite often getting stuck in a cycle where it reboots continuously until the battery dies. When I pull the battery, I have about a 50% chance of it booting up long enough for me to use it for a while before it freezes for a minute or two and then reboots. Sense usually crashes whenever I exit a program, so that seems to be tied into the problem. Text messages seldom come in as well.

While I'm not the only one with this problem, it doesn't seem to be widespread. So I've been gradually crippling my phone trying to identify the root cause. I've turned off 4G. For a while it seemed to more stable running with WiFi turned off, then it reboots started happening more frequently. So now I'm trying it with mobile data turned off and WiFi turned on.

Anyway, I'm hoping there is a "safe mode" that I can try that will let me see if the phone is stable without any user-installed apps running. That would at least help me troubleshoot some.
    My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.

Default Re: Is there a "safe mode" boot up option?

Hold down power and volume down button at the same time when booting up.
    Last edited by Randomhero180; 10-07-2011 at 11:59 AM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hmmm. That brings up the following options:

Fastboot
    Recovery
    Factory Reset
    Simlock
    Hboot USB
    Image CRC

Is Fastboot the clean startup option? I thought that just deferred some startup services until later in the boot process.
    My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.

Have you tried a factory reset? Major updates have the annoying tendency of corrupting data and making things go wonky.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

That's what I'm working toward if I can't find any particular program that's causing the problem. Manually going through my phone now to make sure I have all the stuff I need backed up first.

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RichardClark View Post
    Hmmm. That brings up the following options:

Fastboot
    Recovery
    Factory Reset
    Simlock
    Hboot USB
    Image CRC

Is Fastboot the clean startup option? I thought that just deferred some startup services until later in the boot process.
    Sound like you have a corrupt OS. Go to this link. This is the link of the official OTA from last week before they pulled it. This is the one I installed and used until I installed das BAMF Forever 1.0.7

[Exclusive Download] Gingerbread Build 2.11.605.3 Full RUU And New Radio For HTC ThunderBolt

Follow there instructions.....****BACKUP DATA***** This will wipe your data and take it back to a FACTORY state (aka Out of the box).

This will lock your bootloader but you can use Revolutionary to unlock it.
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Randomhero180 View Post
    Hold down power and volume down button at the *** time when booting up.
    This made me fall off my chair laughing... What you meant was hold down the Volume Down button on the second HTC boot screen. Its the one that says, "HTC Quietly Brilliant"
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by defcon999 View Post
    Sound like you have a corrupt OS. Go to this link. This is the link of the official OTA from last week before they pulled it. This is the one I installed and used until I installed das BAMF Forever 1.0.7

[Exclusive Download] Gingerbread Build 2.11.605.3 Full RUU And New Radio For HTC ThunderBolt

Follow there instructions.....****BACKUP DATA***** This will wipe your data and take it back to a FACTORY state (aka Out of the box).

This will lock your bootloader but you can use Revolutionary to unlock it.
    Just about have all my data backed up and ready to reset. If I use the RUU that Defcon999 posted, will I still be able to receive future OTA updates like normal? I'm not interested in rooting or trying custom ROMs. I would use the the regular OTA process, but Vzw has pulled the Gingerbread one and I want to make sure it's going to work fine on my phone before I start reloading everything. This RUU has the same build number as what my phone has currently.

That RUU is the exact same build as the recent GB OTA and WILL put you on the official track for future updates. It did anyway when I had flashed the official MR2 RUU and subsequently got the GB OTA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortiel View Post
    This made me fall off my chair laughing...
    lol i great auto correcting thunderbolt!

I was having different issues and did a factory reset and it fixed it. Good you are trying other things before doing a fr but hopefully it will fix your issues.

sent from my Thunderbolt....and the thunder rolls !
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Just to follow up, I did load the 2.11.605.3 RUU above and it worked great (other than wiping my phone as expected). I just received the 2.11.605.5 push from Verizon and it installed successfully. So I can confirm that I was back on the normal upgrade path after that RUU.
    Thanked by: