Multiple factory resets - apps still won't install

Gossamer8

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt is having myriad issues and I'm ready to throw it against a wall.

For a while now my TBolt has been having issues with loading apps. If the phone was restarted for some reason it would lose the apps quite frequently - but only some of them, it may have been ones I moved to the SD, I'm not sure - although it would fix itself if I just restarted it a few more times, or when HTC Sense crashed and I did a force close (which was basically after every reboot). Annoying, but at least my apps refreshed.

Yesterday HTC Sense was not crashing anymore. So it wasn't letting me force close it, so I had permanent disconnection from most of my apps. I decided to do a factory reset. I've also been having issues with Market and Amazon App Store not wanting to install apps. I figured it was time to clean it off and start fresh. Now the nightmare begins . . .

I spent the entire day yesterday re-downloading apps. Most of the time it worked. Sometimes it didn't. I've gone through a million restarts, hard reboots, force closing market and clearing data from it, taking the SD card out of the phone to do things, battery pulling, you name it! The freaking thing is **still** having issues with not wanting to download apps, and not wanting to install them.

At this point I'm so frustrated with it I decided to try to unmount my SD card, reformat it, do another factory reset, and see if that helps (and not install apps to the SD card this time) . . . but when I go to unmount the SD card . . . it crashes and force closes and NEVER UNMOUNTS IT.

I've also tried hooking the TBolt up to my computer to view files, etc, and no matter what option I choose from the USB options (and admittedly I've never tried looking at my phone on my PC before so I have no clue what to do) I CANNOT view my phone's ANYTHING on my PC.

So, in summation - I can't unmount my SD card to reformat it, I've done 2 factory resets and still can't install apps from Market or Amazon App Store (in fact, last reset the App store wouldn't even install!), and I cannot figure out how to view files with it on my PC . . . I really need assistance on getting this phone refreshed so I can install apps again and not have them disappear . . . and at this point I don't care what I have to wipe off or re-do or whatever.

HELP! :':)':)':)':)':)'(

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt is having myriad issues and I'm ready to throw it against a wall.

For a while now my TBolt has been having issues with loading apps. If the phone was restarted for some reason it would lose the apps quite frequently - but only some of them, it may have been ones I moved to the SD, I'm not sure - although it would fix itself if I just restarted it a few more times, or when HTC Sense crashed and I did a force close (which was basically after every reboot). Annoying, but at least my apps refreshed.

Yesterday HTC Sense was not crashing anymore. So it wasn't letting me force close it, so I had permanent disconnection from most of my apps. I decided to do a factory reset. I've also been having issues with Market and Amazon App Store not wanting to install apps. I figured it was time to clean it off and start fresh. Now the nightmare begins . . .

I spent the entire day yesterday re-downloading apps. Most of the time it worked. Sometimes it didn't. I've gone through a million restarts, hard reboots, force closing market and clearing data from it, taking the SD card out of the phone to do things, battery pulling, you name it! The freaking thing is **still** having issues with not wanting to download apps, and not wanting to install them.

At this point I'm so frustrated with it I decided to try to unmount my SD card, reformat it, do another factory reset, and see if that helps (and not install apps to the SD card this time) . . . but when I go to unmount the SD card . . . it crashes and force closes and NEVER UNMOUNTS IT.

I've also tried hooking the TBolt up to my computer to view files, etc, and no matter what option I choose from the USB options (and admittedly I've never tried looking at my phone on my PC before so I have no clue what to do) I CANNOT view my phone's ANYTHING on my PC.

So, in summation - I can't unmount my SD card to reformat it, I've done 2 factory resets and still can't install apps from Market or Amazon App Store (in fact, last reset the App store wouldn't even install!), and I cannot figure out how to view files with it on my PC . . . I really need assistance on getting this phone refreshed so I can install apps again and not have them disappear . . . and at this point I don't care what I have to wipe off or re-do or whatever.

HELP! :':)':)':)':)':)'(

If you have the MicroSD adapter that you can use to put a MicroSD into a PC....pull the card out of the phone and reformat it on your PC and then put it back in the phone.

have you tried ROOTING your phone?. If not, I would recommend doing that. I am using das BAMF Forever ROM. It gets rid of all the BLOATWARE (Blockbuster, Let's Gold 2 etc) apps and preserves battery life!

I would call VZW and ask them for assistance if it continues. Maybe you got a lemon phone.....I think all of us here have been there at times. WHat I found to be a key thing is:

1. DO NOT GET frustrated, which it sounds like you are.

2. Surf the forums (other ones also) for answers or tips.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The solution? Go and delete smdl2tmp1.asec yourself. From what I can tell, it could reside in 2 locations:

/sdcard/.android_secure - this is an invisible folder on your SD card, which you can access with any file manager, like ASTRO
/mnt/secure/asec/ - access to this folder requires root and a program like Root Explorer

Look for smdl2tmp1.asec in these folders and delete any ones you see. Deleting it seems to be a safe enough operation - it's just a temporary file after all. Once you've done that, all the update problems should go away:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Wildman has given you some really good advice. If his advice doesn't work for you. get on your home phone and call Verizon. You will need to be on a different phone. Allow them to assist you over the phone checking things out. You may very well need a replacement phone and until Verizon assists you with it, you can't get one. They have to troubleshoot the phone with you for you to get a replacement device.
They are very fast at getting a device out to you.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I just received a replacement thunderbolt, the last one was boot looping like a junkie in need of a fix. For the past week I have been dealing with the same issues. Factory reset, hard reset, soft reset, nothing works. Called Verizon and they are sending me a replacement phone.