1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Default Wi-Fi problems since gb

So does anyone else have any issues with there wifi using a lynksys wrt54xx router? The one at work and home randomly drop out when I am connected. And its only my phone that causes the drop out. And only since the gb update. I tried a firmware update and it didn't help. Any ideas or fixes?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Default Re: Wi-Fi problems since gb

Really? Nobody else has this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by bvitale79 View Post
    Really? Nobody else has this problem?
    Similar problem since GB update: when I turn on wifi, the phone shows turning on wifi, but it fails with an error.
    Uly

I had a problem after GB and it would fail to connect. After power cycling the modem and router, i have not had anymore issues.
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

I haven't had trouble with my WRT54G, but that may be because I don't connect my phone to it. I have 4G coverage at home and it's faster than my home Internet.

But, I have been having a lot of trouble lately with using my Tbolt as a Mobile Hotspot (which I do pay for). My tablets and my laptop all say they're connected and they'll be working fine, then just lose the data connection. I could be trying to get to this very website on my Tab and it starts giving me a No Connection error and I can pick up my phone and go the website, no problem. Same problem with my laptop tethered to my Tbolt via Mobile Hotspot.
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

Ps. And this is in areas where I have full bars of 4G coverage.

ROM
    Stock

To the Wireless problem, I've had a lot of problems with devices in the past connecting to my WRT54G (running Tomato, DD-WRT, and even native Linksys firmware). It turns out that I had Afterburner/Speedbost on, which caused problems with some devices. The odd part was that most of those devices worked fine with that router until I updated the wireless drivers, more recent drivers seem to be incompatible with Linksys/Cisco's proprietary speed enhancements.

The specific symptom I ran into was that I could connect in OPEN, but not WEP or WPA/WPA2. The device would connect, then start acquiring an IP address, then disconnect and start over. This would repeat until either I or the driver gave up.

The instant I turned off Afterburner/SpeedBoost, things worked fine.

Not sure if this has anything to do with your problem, but it's been an issue for me with the WRT54G series routers. About the only real issue I've ever had with those beasts - they are reliable little gizmos and with the right firmware they are absolutely amazing for the price. But the very first thing I tell any WRT54G/GL/GS owner to do is turn off any Linksys-proprietary protocols in it and stick to industry standards.

I installed the full GB RUU and the wifi problem persists. The phone states it is turning on wifi, momentarily shows that wifi is on, before greying out and stating turning on, repeatedly.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Pete2s View Post
    I installed the full GB RUU and the wifi problem persists. The phone states it is turning on wifi, momentarily shows that wifi is on, before greying out and stating turning on, repeatedly.
    Just in case you missed it, see my post above. "Search.. Connect.. Disconnect.. Search..." is the exact symptom that newer cards (with newer drivers) seem to be having when things like SpeedBoost/AfterBurner are turned on in a Linksys router. I suspect many other manufacturers had their own proprietary speedup technologies back in the days before 802.11n, and those may be problematic as well.

Thinking on it, I believe all the cards I had this problem with were (like the Thunderbolt's), 802.11n capable cards. I do know that it always happened after a driver update - the device would work just fine for a long time, then a new driver would cause it to go into a connection loop and no WiFi.

I suspect, though this is just a guess, that SpeedBoost/AfterBurner is a pre-draft-N technology, which means it's using something similar to 802.11n protocols to enhance speed, and probably something inspired by 802.11n, but not quite similar enough to actually work. Just similar enough to confuse the wireless card into thinking it can fire up an "N" protocol, but not enough to actually make good on that promise. So the card tries "N", receives no reply, and starts over.

Check your router carefully for any possible "speed booster" technologies, and turn them off.

As a workaround/test, you can turn off wireless encryption (set the router to "open" rather than WEP or WPA/WPA2), but that's a poor workaround if you want a secure connection. Plus, it only worked for me on the one device I actually tested, so I can't call it a workaround for all devices anyway.

I wasn't at home when I installed the full RUU. There are no wifi signals near me and the phone still has the same error.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Pete2s View Post
    I wasn't at home when I installed the full RUU. There are no wifi signals near me and the phone still has the same error.
    Sorry, I missed the fact that you posted a different problem and I thought you were talking about the original problem in the thread. I get so confused sometimes.