HTC security update(fix)

goyo21

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey, what's the deal with htc's supposed quick fix to their security issues? Quick response to it, but haven't heard anything else. Has everyone forgot?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey, what's the deal with htc's supposed quick fix to their security issues? Quick response to it, but haven't heard anything else. Has everyone forgot?
My guess is "quick" = 6-12 weeks. May be rolled into the upcoming GB release/fix. No due date announced.

-Frank

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Same here . . . I just used Revolutionary to S-Off and then root. It was simple to get rid of the offending file so it's not an issue any more. So far I've kept the OS from Verizon, but getting rid of the bloat was a side benefit that I took care of at the same time.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
HTC has told us a fix will be out for both VM issues and security patches *before* the end of October. I'll believe it when I see it. I expect mid- to late November.

Reactions: GoldLeader

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
HTC has told us a fix will be out for both VM issues and security patches *before* the end of October. I'll believe it when I see it. I expect mid- to late November.

I hope that HTC is aware that the VM indicator and their security issues are not the only things that need fixed here. There are inconsistent volume issues which are mentioned in another thread as well as others such as the front camera problems.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I hope that HTC is aware that the VM indicator and their security issues are not the only things that need fixed here. There are inconsistent volume issues which are mentioned in another thread as well as others such as the front camera problems.

As far as priority versus importance, I rate the VM message waiting indicator and the privacy hole as being the more urgent and important. A fix for those is needed now.

The volume issue as I stated has been happening since the Thunderbolt release, and from what I have tested is also not related to the software on the phone, but rather a firmware controller conflict. Volume is lower on urgency, as it is not a potential security risk, and may never be able to be corrected unless they do some major firmware work, which would take months.

I am not sure what camera issues to which you are referring, however I do not have any known issues with the firmware or the stock software regarding the front camera... could you expound you statement a bit more please?

Last edited:

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree that VM indication and security holes are the top of the important list. I'm only saying that there are other basic functionality issues with this device that also need correcting. I did not have any sound or volume issues prior to the release of GB for this device, but I do now.

It is very disappointing to me that HTC and Verizon have this device on the market in excess of six months and still unsolved basic issues remain. I will think long and hard before I consider spending hundreds of dollars on another HTC device. I'm not saying that any device is perfect...I understand they all have some issues. There would be no need for MR's if perfection were the case. I do however know other people with other current 4G devices that don't have basic functional issues like the TB. HTC and Verizon should be embarassed.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I haven't had any volume issue or front facing camera issue, what kind of issues was reported?

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Here is one thread about the sound http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-gb-has-anyone-noticed-odd-volume-issues.html

FFC not working with Google Talk. GTalk is NOT the issue, as it works with other devices running GB on Verizon. I have also heard of images appearing sideways or upside down also.

None of those sound like a device issue, the volume sounds like a user hitting volume buttons by accident, install Volume Locker will resolve that.. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hourdb.volumelocker&feature=search_result

The issue with the camera with Google Talk, just because it worked on other GB devices does not mean its a device issue, there have been patches to get this to work which proves its software not the device and I would blame Google Talk support.

Now as for image being upside down you got me on that, haven't heard that one.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I NEVER had volume issues prior to the GB update. I do now.

Video chat on Google Talk works on my wife's bionic out of the box...no patches necessary. TB almost seven months later still doesn't work.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
wildman;1335403The issue with the camera with Google Talk said:
The whole point of GB in Google Talk is that the cameras on each phone are supposed to be exposed in system libraries. Google Talk should simply be calling an API to get a list of available cameras, and an API to use the camera the user has requested.

I've got several camera apps installed (in OTA gingerbread), and at least a couple of them are aware of the front-facing camera and give me a "switch" to toggle to it (I do not believe that switch was available on Froyo, but if someone can try something like CameraFunPro on a Froyo-based Tbolt and report back whether you see the "switch cameras" icon and can use the FFC, that will prove that out).

I'm not sure why Google Talk can recognize FFCs on many cameras in Gingerbread but not the Tbolt, or why some other apps can recognize it.

But this can't be laid entirely at the feet of the Google Talk folks. It's supposed to work out of the box because Google Talk uses the pure Gingerbread camera API, so I wonder if the camera libraries have a problem that Google Talk is just being more strict about or something.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I NEVER had volume issues prior to the GB update. I do now.

Video chat on Google Talk works on my wife's bionic out of the box...no patches necessary. TB almost seven months later still doesn't work.

Maybe but I still don't think this is because of GB update... Have you tried a hard reset to make sure you don't have a stray app causing the volume issue...

Also Google Talk works on Bionic Now...
(Issue 19936 - android - google talk video chat on Motorola Verizon Bionic-bug - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting)
(Support Google Talk IM not working properly - Android Forums)
(Droid Bionic Bug Fix Update Coming in November)

Issue: Google Talk Video Calls:

Google Video Talk sessions can be established faster if you start a text chat session first.
Action: No work around required.
Resolution: No resolution required, working as designed and approved by Verizon Wireless.

But I remember a number of users having issue with it until they installed the updated build of the software before it worked correctly.., Like I said it is software not the device..

Quick to blame device and point out flaws but not note that the problem existed....

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe but I still don't think this is because of GB update... Have you tried a hard reset to make sure you don't have a stray app causing the volume issue...

Also Google Talk works on Bionic Now...
(Issue 19936 - android - google talk video chat on Motorola Verizon Bionic-bug - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting)
(Support Google Talk IM not working properly - Android Forums)
(Droid Bionic Bug Fix Update Coming in November)

Issue: Google Talk Video Calls:

Google Video Talk sessions can be established faster if you start a text chat session first.
Action: No work around required.
Resolution: No resolution required, working as designed and approved by Verizon Wireless.

But I remember a number of users having issue with it until they installed the updated build of the software before it worked correctly.., Like I said it is software not the device..

Quick to blame device and point out flaws but not note that the problem existed....

I really have no desire to engage in a urination tournament over this.

I know how my TB was on Froyo. I used the full RUU to update to GB which is equivalent to a full reset. I see and hear what functions correctly now and what does not in addition to issues my TB has now that it didn't have before GB. I was merely reporting on my experiences, and giving one man's opinion on where I feel this device is as opposed to where I feel this device should be after being on the market for nearly 7 months. There should not be basic functionality issues after this long.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
As far as priority versus importance, I rate the VM message waiting indicator and the privacy hole as being the more urgent and important. A fix for those is needed now.

The volume issue as I stated has been happening since the Thunderbolt release, and from what I have tested is also not related to the software on the phone, but rather a firmware controller conflict. Volume is lower on urgency, as it is not a potential security risk, and may never be able to be corrected unless they do some major firmware work, which would take months.
What about the data-connectivity issues? I still hear tech support saying that should be fixed in the GB OTA (the first of which I already have, BTW). Because these data-connectivity issues are common to all the 4G phones and devices, I think that's crazy. Firmware updates impact the issue but I think resolution will also require greater attention to the network. (Assuming the issues can be resolved, of course.) Do you agree, or, if not, what priority does this have in the update efforts?

Thanks, Robrecht

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair