Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Default After the OTA GB, has anyone noticed odd volume issues?

Since the GB OTA update, I've noticed a lot of volume issues. One time my "in-call" volume will be as I set it with the rocker, the next time it will be MAX (very loud -- makes me think the speaker phone is on). Same for my Voicemail (VVM), same for the Thunderbolt splash screen sound upon reboot.

This was happening very rarely on pre-GB. But since the GB OTA it happens a whole lot. Anyone else?

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

My issue is I will have it on vibrate while at work. Then when I switch to normal I have to make sure the ringer is set because it drops down to being off and I have to set it a couple of times cause it wont stay set. Never had that before.

sent from my Thunderbolt....and the thunder rolls !
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Yep... My max volume is very low now. Thought it was just me.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: After the OTA GB, has anyone noticed odd volume issues?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Since the GB OTA update, I've noticed a lot of volume issues. One time my "in-call" volume will be as I set it with the rocker, the next time it will be MAX (very loud -- makes me think the speaker phone is on). Same for my Voicemail (VVM), same for the Thunderbolt splash screen sound upon reboot.

This was happening very rarely on pre-GB. But since the GB OTA it happens a whole lot. Anyone else?

-Frank
    Having those exact issues. I get phone calls and seems like someone is screaming in my ear so I turn the call volume down a few notches but the next call I get/make its maxed out again.Also notification and rimgtones seem quieter than they should sometimes.

I've seen this too. For some reason, occasionally the ringer volume decreases below what I set it at. No idea why.

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Same here. Sometimes the volume on a call. Other times the ring volume.

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    My issue is I will have it on vibrate while at work. Then when I switch to normal I have to make sure the ringer is set because it drops down to being off and I have to set it a couple of times cause it wont stay set. Never had that before.

Jude.....try use a volume control app. I use cVolume.....it has a night, office, train....etc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

I have noticed that from day 1. I use Volume Control+ which is free from the market to adjust and lock the volume, although I still notice all six volumes do randomly readjust on rare occasions. System volume is the most common that seems to keep restoring itself after I mute it.
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant

Just wish htc put in a louder speaker
    Spiderbiter likes this.

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    ROM
    OEM

Yup, max volume is low at times. Ridiculous.

With the GB update I have noticed that with the screen off, the alert tone volume, such as for a text message, is often lower than what I have set. On occasion I have had 2 texts come in simultaneously. The first tone is quiet and the second one immediately following is very loud.
    No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

My volume control keeps going to vibrate and I know that I am not touching the switch. Many times it is while it is sitting on the counter and not being touched. I installed an app, I forget what it is called, but it forces you to allow a volume change. No help whatsoever.

Has anyone tried a master reset to see if that clears up the issue? I say that because alot of these types of odd issues seem to clear up post OTA's via a master reset (some carry over from the upgrade?). I'd try it, but I'm not experiencing the issue (I do have the GB OTA).
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Has anyone tried a master reset to see if that clears up the issue? I say that because alot of these types of odd issues seem to clear up post OTA's via a master reset (some carry over from the upgrade?). I'd try it, but I'm not experiencing the issue (I do have the GB OTA).
    I'm suspecting it's an app conflict that might be changing the volume inexplicably. Perhaps a media app, or some other app. I dunno... No doubt, since a reset would remove all apps (initially), that might "cure" it. For a while... Like Mortiel, I've noticed this phenomenon since I first got the TBolt. But it is way more frequent since updating to GB. But, I have also installed more apps since then. And... it looks like a lot of folks have this issue. I'd guess it's systemic to the OS. Both Froyo and GB but worse with GB. For me anyway.

Personally, I don't have the "volume too low" issue. Although, I have noticed certain volume settings are a little lower after the update. But there is still plenty of higher volume adjustment left for me to make it more than loud enough.

The only issue I have is that when I'm least expecting it (more often than once a day) my volume will blast me out. When I'm checking voicemail (visual voicemail) and when I answer the phone. It's so loud any other person near me can hear it and it hurts my ear. I have to pull the phone away from my ear it is so loud until I lower the volume. When I check the volume it is at max (where I never set it, ever -- just for this reason).

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 10-12-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I upgraded with the RUU when it was leaked so no OTA here. I do have audio guru installed to manage profiles, but it was never an issue on froyo. And it seems the only audio problem I am having is the text message alert volume fluctuation.
    No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

Hmmm, I've never experienced the volume issue (Froyo or GB). Could very well be an app. I highly limit what apps are installed mainly for the simple reason to reduce complexity and minimize potential conflicts/issues. Well that and I rarely find a need or justification for most apps beyond what the phone natively provides, not to mention the permissions of some apps stop me cold (I'm a bit of a security nut, call me paranoid ). Putting all that aside, I have seen some odd issues in the past after installing an OTA (sometimes even after flashing a RUU) that a master reset cleared up. Troubleshooting is always a process of elimination, easier done when keeping complexity down.

Global Posts
    580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.0.4

I thought it was just me. This happens when using my MINI's BT also...
    Phone - HTC One / Galaxy S3 w/CM10
    Tablet - Nexus 7 2013
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Something defcon999 said in another thread got my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by defcon999 View Post
    You can always use the "personalize" setting.

MENU --> Settings --> Personalize --> scroll down to see SOUND SET --> create new set.
    Has anyone tried this? I wonder if it would eliminate the erratic volume issues. Even if you just made a dupe copy.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've had this issue since launch (before GB) on a stock device, so I don't think it's an app conflict (happened before I installed anything). Sometimes the volume is maxes out even though the slider shows it only half away, I have to crank it all the way up and then turn it down to get it back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by toothdoc4 View Post
    My volume control keeps going to vibrate and I know that I am not touching the switch. Many times it is while it is sitting on the counter and not being touched. I installed an app, I forget what it is called, but it forces you to allow a volume change. No help whatsoever.
    I have the same problem. Very frustrated. Verizon Rep said it was the rocker being bumped in the case. That's nuts.

sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

I'm having my in-call volume max out randomly. No idea what's causing it, as it didn't happen until the OTA. A master reset sounds like a good idea, except I'd rather not have to retweak things afterwards. Maybe I'll wait to see if the next update fixes it.
    FrankXS likes this.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Had the volume issues. and when a call came in it would go to speaker every time. also Sense restarting a hundred times a day. I contacted HTC by email. followed their instructions to clear data on Sense and let it reset. that worked only for 8 days. Sense restarted again. that didnt work on volume or speaker phone issues. HTC said the only way next to try to solve the issues is a factory reset. like we all just love to do those .I did factory reset 24 hrs ago, seemed to solve all issues for now. will probabally need to do one agian when the FIXED GB update comes out. lol

Since 605.5 OTA, I have often noticed my ringer volume seems to get set to "off". I don't think I use the phone differently and this did not happen in the past. Maybe I stumbled on a new mute shortcut, maybe it is an issue.

I also have freakingly loud volume at random times, and almost always after a restart on my phone.
    I am rooted and running BAMF forever 1.0.9. My guess it's some sort of base programming issue in GB or some base hardware setting. Other than this problem, my phone works flawlessly.

Is there a service mode we can get into in this handset? I found another article on the droid X that talked about setting the volume in service mode. The only code I can find for the TB is the programming menu found by entering ## PROGRAM (7764726) which is an active service code, but doesn't control the volume, it's for the network settings.

If someone knows a way to access the volume controls at the base level, I will give it a whirl.
    It's a 1st world problem, but I'd still like to fix it.

Cheers!
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Well, I found a somewhat suitable workaround for this (volume setting itself to max and blasting you out).

I downloaded Volume Control by RevoSolutionary from the Market (cute company name). Anyway, this allows you to use sliders to set all the various volumes including the in-call volume. For whatever reason the in-call Volume is not supported natively with the ThunderBolt. There is no native GUI way to set the in-call volume. You have to be on a call and use the rocker. Well, by the time you are on a call you have already been blasted!

Anyway, at least with Volume Control you can check/set the in-call volume in advance (or see when it has mysteriously been set to max) and adjust it. You don't have to wait to be blasted out.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

-Frank
    Thanked by 2:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast