Left Thunderbolt for the Apple orchard

zman3001

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, its been fun everyone. I have left the Thunderbolt for the iPhone 4s.

While I will miss the 4G capabilities, the truth is that I didn't get to use them often enough to make it worth it. When I first got the TBolt I checked the map and it said I was just covered by 4G coverage, barely. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case at all. The only times I have been able to take advantage of the 4G was when I went to my local mall, and sometimes at work (although at work it mist have been a fringe 4G signal because it kept going from 4G to 3G to 1X, draining my battery quickly). Most places I'm at now are 3G only, and it'll probably stay that way until 2013 or later. I think Apple was onto something when they said the technology just isn't quite there yet.

I'll also miss the bigger screen...I guess. I mean it was nice and all, but the iPhone's screen is pretty nice too. I'm used to it since I've been using my iPod touch for a long time.

And I guess I'll miss talking and surfing at the same time. I was so happy for that feature...and then I ended up only doing it once, and even then it wasn't that great because the data was super slow.

What I won't miss is carrying around a behemoth phone with its extra battery, and even with the extra battery it ate power like crazy! The iPhone has just enough widgets where I won't miss the extra widgets from Android. Also, I won't miss Android itself; I just wasn't that impressed, and I've had an Android device since the Droid2. I'm just tired of Google and the manufacturer's and then Verizon having to all come together just to get an update out that works - they just can't do it. And I don't want to have to root my phone just to get something that works with as little bugs as possible. Besides, its just a matter of time before Apple steals all that is good about Android and improves on it anyway. :p

I'll miss the community, especially all the time we spent waiting for Gingerbread...and still waiting....I'm willing to bet if I had a plain Google device, I might have stayed longer. But right now, I only need to carry 1 device instead of the 2-3 I needed before, and there is no waiting for the next update while Verizon and HTC and Google act like the 3 Stooges and try to get something that MIGHT work correctly.

Cya guys, its been fun.

Reactions: stopswitch

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
good riddance........JK :p

I dont blame you one bit, if it wasnt for the stellar rooting community I would of ditched my TB months ago. Not for an iPhone though because $11 insurance and a $200 deductible is just insane to me but probably a Motorola device. Good luck with your double sided piece of glass :cool:

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Good luck my friend. I love my Thunderbolt, has been working great for me since they one, even after getting GB.

RescueEMT911

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations on the switch! When buying the Thunderbolt in June I was on the fence about getting the Iphone4 or the Thunderbolt, I must say that after the gingerbread update I am saddened that I did not go with the Iphone. All the problems with the software not to mention the fact that just to have a phone that lasts a day I need an extended battery (along with the extended seidio case) turns it into a small brick. But I guess since I now have 2 seidio cases, 5 batteries,screen protectors, and so on I guess I will have it for awhile. AND luckily Verizon was nice enough to make sure that I have a good 20 months to think about that decision that I made...lol.. if I could go back in time to May 27, 2011, I would also have an Iphone4 right now. It may not have ALL the bells n whistles the Thunderbolt has, but atleast I would have a phone that I know "works" and lasts throughout the day... ohh well one can dream..lol

RescueEMT911

JimMLINY

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Happy trails to you. Enjoy the new device. Check back when you master it to give us a heads up on whether the change worked for you. Some here might not mind taking the hit and doing the switch!!:)

Reactions: HPBolt

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
-Frank
Rottenapple.jpg

RescueEMT911

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
you must not be in a true LTE area. I fortunately am. It is the killer app for this phone.

This is very true! I live just outside of Buffalo, NY and 4G should be going live here on Oct. 20th. soooo with that said I most likely will be singing a totally different tune after that day!!! That may be my problem, to carry such a large phone but have 3G just like everyone else is depressing, but next week hopefully I will be loving the phone and the fast speeds!

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with your iPhone. Should have waited for the Nexus, might have cured a lot of your Android ailments. But as long as you are happy, peace!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I went from Tbolt to iphone 4 and I am back on a Tbolt. Lol. The best thing about the iphone 4 is the battery. Even with iOS5, I still love Android better. Now I am going to dump the Tbolt for the Nexus Prime or Vigor, lol.

zman3001

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with your iPhone. Should have waited for the Nexus, might have cured a lot of your Android ailments. But as long as you are happy, peace!

I thought about waiting. I just don't have that much faith in Android, Samsung, or Verizon to trust them again with the Nexus. When I had the Droid2, everyone said Motorola was the worst with updates and skins, and that HTC and Sense was so much better. Then all the crap with the Thunderbolt happened, and the Gingerbread fiasco was the last straw for me. I didn't want it to be "oh the Nexus is a vanilla Android device, it will always get upgrades and will always work well without having to root" only to have my hopes dashed again.

I just think that, with Apple in charge of the device, Verizon can't mess with it too much. Its Apples way or the highway, and I like that. People like rooting; I tried it once, it just wasn't for me. That and it permanently messed up my Droid2. Android is a good concept...it just isn't for me.

Reactions: jdr44

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought about waiting. I just don't have that much faith in Android, Samsung, or Verizon to trust them again with the Nexus. When I had the Droid2, everyone said Motorola was the worst with updates and skins, and that HTC and Sense was so much better. Then all the crap with the Thunderbolt happened, and the Gingerbread fiasco was the last straw for me. I didn't want it to be "oh the Nexus is a vanilla Android device, it will always get upgrades and will always work well without having to root" only to have my hopes dashed again.

I just think that, with Apple in charge of the device, Verizon can't mess with it too much. Its Apples way or the highway, and I like that. People like rooting; I tried it once, it just wasn't for me. That and it permanently messed up my Droid2. Android is a good concept...it just isn't for me.

Um... but that is the truth. I'm going with the Nexus.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Well the Nexus absolutely will always be updated ahead of everything. Its updates are handled by Google alone. Not Samsung, not Verizon. Google makes new version of OS, it gets pushed to Nexus devices. Much like the iPhone.

But you say Android isn't for you, and that is what matters. Though I don't think you gave it a totally fair chance. The Droid 2 issues after root... Well, those were your fault, you did something wrong. And the issues with the Thunderbolt, those are not typical of an Android experience. The Thunderbolt is a problem child.

Don't mean to be a hater or anything. Glad you found something that works for you. However, so long as you continue to come to an Android community forum to talk about why you turned away from Android, you are always going to have people challenge your decision and try to talk you into reconsidering. Go to a community like TiPb, and they will shower you with confetti, I'd imagine. And if you ask Siri, I'm sure she'll say you made a great decision. Which, like I said, if you are happy, then you truly did.

All the best.

Reactions: Ezduzit and Alma

anon(255332)

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
you are either the type of person who wants a phone that does all the things YOU want it to do and many more your didn't even know about, and does it the way YOU want it to.

or your the type of person who wants a device that works with very few bugs the way the company who made it wants it to work, and only does what they want it to do.

you either like to customize and play around with your phone, or you don't.
you either want options or you prefer to conform.

Personally, I want options.
-Tm

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am not an apple fan. I prefer Android and being able to customize. I won't root but I really like HTC and the Sense UI I have co-workers who really like my TB.......even the iphone users !

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski