4G in WNC - A'ville & H'ville NC - Disappointing

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's 4G got turned on a couple days ago even though it wasn't listed on any of the upcoming city lists recently released. However, I'm certainly not impressed with the speed I'm seeing. Perhaps it'll get better, but if this is as good as it gets on the T'Bolt I'm certainly underwhelmed.

I'm showing three bars on the radio antenna at my location. It's given me the following speed numbers on my T'Bolt.

My recent test:

Ping: 105 ms
Download: 4.47 Mps
Upload: 0.29 Mps :(

The best I got in the last two days was:

Ping: 91 ms
Download: 6.10 Mps
Upload: 1.05 Mps

Is this as good as it gets on the T'Bolt or does it seem that Verizon improves the system speed after it's first turned on?

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's 4G got turned on a couple days ago even though it wasn't listed on any of the upcoming city lists recently released. However, I'm certainly not impressed with the speed I'm seeing. Perhaps it'll get better, but if this is as good as it gets on the T'Bolt I'm certainly underwhelmed.

I'm showing three bars on the radio antenna at my location. It's given me the following speed numbers on my T'Bolt.

My recent test:

Ping: 105
Download: 4.47 Mps
Upload" 0.29 Mps

The best I got in the last two days was:

Ping: 91
Download: 6.10 Mps
Upload: 1.05 Mps

Is this as good as it gets on the T'Bolt or does it seem that Verizon improves the system speed after it's first turned on?

Perhaps when it is turned on officially in your area that will improve. VZW's "advertised" speed is 5-12Mbps download.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mobilebroadband/?page=coverage&token=klLHri2K

-Frank

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Those areas are officially go live tomorrow Oct. 20 (see Verizon Wireless Brings The Power Of Its 4G LTE Network To Asheville, North Carolina On Oct. 20).

Are you using Ookla's Speedtest app? If so, try a few different test servers (Tools, Change server). Although it's farther away, I typically get better results when using a larger city (ex. Atlanta, GA) than the nearest test server Arab, AL. Also check your phone's signal strength (Menu, Settings, About Phone, Network) and make sure the number is under -100dBm (ex. strong signal is typically -50). I've always gotten the best download speeds when the signal is strong. Look for a nearby tower and try to get closer to it but not under it and see what kind of results you get. One last thing, try powering off the phone, pull battery and SIM for at least 3 minutes, then power up. This will ensure a clean/fresh state and force the phone to re-provision itself in the new 4G LTE signal. Then try a speed test again. :)

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations and link, sunycalwon. Yes, I'm using Ookla's Speedtest. I also checked the signal strength, which is running -86dBm. After doing the sim/battery pull, it seems that the speeds are remaining the same. The download is running at the very bottom of Verizon's range, according to the link, and the upload is remaining well below what they say we'll get. The upload is rate is given as 2-5 Mps and I'm getting well below 1 Mps. I guess they have more work to do on the system . . . at least I hope so . . . before their official release scheduled for tomorrow Thanks again suny!

JackoG

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I am getting 3-5 bars 114ms to Asheville Server from Hendersonville ....5.9meg download and 1.15 upload....Ookla Speedtest...

boyer61

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Around AB Tech i was pulling down 12-13 and 8-9 up the morning it came out.

At my house about 12 miles from there, i've been pulling anywhere from 4-9 and 1-6 up.

I myself am impressed. i was lucky to pull .7 down and about .3 or less up with 3g...

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Speedtests are about as useless and unreliable as benchmarks. Only thing they're good for is trying to brag.

That?s just silly talk. :) They?re measuring tools. Without them how do you evaluate something? How do you establish norms or know whether something falls outside them? Like any tool when used properly with the correct knowledge, they are VERY useful! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38