What are your 4G speeds?

hillsmi

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
4G is starting to wake up here in central MI.

I was extremely impressed when I did a speedtest.net with the 4G connection, and got 11170kbps down, and 6912kbps up with an 84ms ping.

In comparison, my 3G connection in the same location at the same time was 389kbps down, and 94kbps up and a 188ms ping.

A second 4G test, because I couldn't believe it was 10898 down and 2215 up.
My WiFi connection off my DSL returns a 2766 down, and 106 up with a 44ms ping.

Is anyone else seeing 4G speeds this high? It just seems hard to believe.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Before the GB update, I would get as high as 30 MB up, and 10 MB down. More typically I was getting the speeds around what you are seeing, and when the system was more heavily loaded, down around 6 down and 4 up.

Since the Gingerbread update, speeds have topped out around 12 down, but more often are around 8 down, and 6 up, and frequently are closer to synchronous (same upload speed as downloaoad).

I have had the TB since early June, live in the Atlanta area, and been to DC twice, and Augusta, GA several times. Similar LTE experiences in each place.

Last edited:

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm usually sitting around 17 mbs down/12 mbs up... I've had mine since day one, and I got almost double that when the service first started up, (no 4g data traffic)... I could never go back to 3g, even now, I get frustrated using wifi. Why would I want to go back to 0.75-3.5 mbs (public wifi), if I'm lucky, when I can get speeds like I get over the air? Sucks that some of the apps I use require a wifi connection to work... wifi=lame! (I do get 10 mbs on my home wifi, but thats still slower than my normal speed...)

Last edited:

timothy

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
LTE has been in Cleveland for a while now. In the city I get 8Mbps down and about 6 up, at home in the south side burbs seeing as high as 20 down...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on where you are. I've traveled a lot since 4G came on-line. Basically, I've gotten as high as 30Mbps down and 12Mbps up. But very rarely.

What I have learned through my travels is that it just depends on where you are. Every time I go out East (I live in Denver) I get anywhere from 5 to 20Mbps down and 5-10 up. Mostly up and down the East Coast from Fl to NC, and including most of the 4G area from St Louis east.

However, here in Denver, since rollout (Denver was an initial rollout city) I consistently get 3-4.5Mpbs down and 2.8-4Mbps up. Consistently. So consistently that I'm sure it's by design. Why, I don't know.

I think a lot has to do with the backhaul capabilities of the cell site. I also think VZW designs using different "strategies" in different areas. Example; in Denver it is very hilly and mountainous. No matter how strong a 4G signal is it's gonna be lost in a mile or so due to terrain. So I think the strategy here is to keep the 4G weak, but plentiful (meaning, more sites to cover the same area). In other areas, like along a flat Interstate highway, the sky's the limit. Those big honkin' towers can shoot a signal for many miles. So, I think they are way more powerful with much greater backhaul capability than the cell sites here in Denver.

Notice I don't often say "tower" for Denver, but "cell site". That's because, out here, I infrequently see a bonafide "tower". Most often I see a few antennas mounted on top of a bank building, government building, school, or similar. Still 4G, but not very much speed capability.

Just my experience.

-Frank

Last edited:

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
At my house, I get 12 down and 6 up. But when I'm inside the city, I get 25 down and 16 up on a regular basis. In both cases, I'm very pleased with LTE.

l0wr1d3r

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
All time highs at 31 MBPS down, 9 MBPS up. Average is more like 8 MBPS down, 3 MBPS up. Suburban sprawl.

How are you measuring, though? Speedtest varies significantly based on which site you pick, and with TB's wonky GPS, the app generally doesn't seem to pick the best site.

Yeah, I can't go back, either. Yoinking that unlimited hotspot was a good long-term move... adios cable.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Right now, I live in a non-LTE market.

I first tried LTE at DFW airport, I hit around 8-12Mbps down (up was around 2-5), LA had slightly better numbers on average, same for San Diego. The first time I tried Phoenix (back in late July./Aug, it was always just over 3 down/1+ up (except in a few spots, where it was much higher). Earlier this month, I briefly stopped in Las Vegas, I hit over 17Mbps/4+. I've gotten close to 20 a few times for download. I was back in the Phoenix area again this month, had hit 7-12Mbps down/3-6Mbps up, hit almost 9Mbps up once. I'm heading to another LTE market later today (Jonesboro, AR).

thedesignchef

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in Denver Tech Center (I-25 and 225) and today, finally found 4G! Ive been waiting for over a year and now have been surfing at 7 to 8 mbps. And thats on 1 bar. Thank you Sprint.

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
My highest 4g speed was 43mbps down and 6 up but that was a one time thing. My typical 4g speed is around 7 to 8 mbps down anbd 3-4 up. My wifi speed is right in that range as well and is fine for my needs.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
My best was 40 down and around 25 up. In the San Fran and Sacramento area, I typically get 10 - 15 down and 5 - 10 up.

satterf, if you manually choose the server in Speedtest, you can get much better than that in Tallahassee.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
my apartment is in a dead spot. i'll usuall see 6-12 Mbps down and about half of that up. if i go a few blocks away speeds double.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got the 13.9mb GB update to the one I already got OTA the first time VZW pushed it out. I always turn off the phone after any OS update, pull the battery and SIM for at least 3 minutes and then restart so the TBolt is forced to readdress everything.

Then I ran GPS Status app. 4 seconds to lock.

Then I run OOKLA Speedtest app, I won't use any other for LTE. Got 18mbs down and 8 mbs up. I'm in Fort Worth TX.

Then I turned on wifi. Got 12mbs down and 3mbs up from my Charter internet connection which is a reliable 25mbs connection. Of course my wife was on her laptop and streaming from Netflix at the time so no issues there but LTE was faster than my wifi under the circumstances.

Where I work there are a heck of a lot more LTE devices in the immediate area and I find myself normally only able to hit 6-8mbs down 4mbs up but that's still plenty fast enough to stream Monday Night football or HBO GO at night when things quiet down.

Highwaystar131

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I average about 6 to 8 down in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan. Was over in Holland last weekend and was getting between 3 and 12 down despite Holland not actually having 4G yet (perhaps they were testing it for when the Grand Rapids area expands Nov. 17th?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan