HELP PLEASE - Auto-updates killing my phone

Gank77

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Please Help me ..

How do I stop Verizon from trying to force me to 2.3.4 Gingerbread?

I currently have stock software, rooted by revolutionary method

Since yesterday morning I can seem to get my phone to run for more than 1 hour without Verizon trying to force me to upgrade my Firmware..I wouldnt mind this so much if I could decline or refuse the upgrade..

Phone will give me an auto-update message (some times when I am not paying attention) and start the update process automatically .. The phone downloads the file, and then turns off, and tries to expand the file.

For some reason (probably because I am rooted) the file never expands fully, and it give and error symbol (white triangle with exclamation point in the middle with a little blue Android bot next to it)

After this I cannot use the phone until I return to factory resets with the Revolutionary Hboot.

This is annoying as I am having to do this 3-5 5times a day!

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Gank

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Please Help me ..

Since yesterday morning I can seem to get my phone to run for more than 1 hour without Verizon trying to force me to upgrade my Firmware..I wouldnt mind this so much if I could decline or refuse the upgrade..

Phone will give me an auto-update message (some times when I am not paying attention) and start the update process automatically .. The phone downloads the file, and then turns off, and tries to expand the file.

For some reason (probably because I am rooted) the file never expands fully, and it give and error symbol (white triangle with exclamation point in the middle with a little blue Android bot next to it)

After this I cannot use the phone until I return to factory resets with the Revolutionary Hboot.

Gank

You don't need to do a factory reset. Clear cache in recovery.

The only way to stop the updates is to flash a custom rom. Renaming OTAcerts.zip supposedly works. Never did, for me.

Gank77

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
According to Verizon's Website, the new build is available and rolling out now with Fixes in place..

Build Number: 2.11.605.3
BaseBand Version: 1.48.00.0906w_1, 0.01.78.0906w_2,

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/thunderbolt.pdf

I had to perform the long version of Revolutionary's procedure to get the phone back to bone stock.. I tried to perform a manual update to 2.3.4 but now the phone doesn't see the update..

Typical.. Verizon Customer Support says that the Software Update comes in groups and that if I missed it, I will have to wait until my phone gets selected again...

Gank

Reactions: ggrr8t and tiggervd

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
605.3 was pulled. 605.5 seems to be new release candidate.... at least it is excepted by Market as being official VZW build.... 2.07 through 2.11.605.0 never were...

Chiefmcfuz

Jun 28, 2010
www.manhattanreefs.com
Right but they have not yet put the new leak available as an ota.
So it requires a full wipe and that means it's not "official "yet. And I know everyone suggests rooting but the rooters out there need to realize that not everyone is able to root. Some people are working with corporate phones and are not permitted to root.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to do a factory reset. Clear cache in recovery.

The only way to stop the updates is to flash a custom rom. Renaming OTAcerts.zip supposedly works. Never did, for me.

I did the otacerts.zip renaming thing and I like stock rooted better than any roms I've tried so far. If I understand you correctly when the ota hangs all I have to do is manually go to recovery and clear cache to get back to normal?

Is there a "custom" rom that is simply stock gb minus bloat with updates truly blocked?

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I did the otacerts.zip renaming thing and I like stock rooted better than any roms I've tried so far. If I understand you correctly when the ota hangs all I have to do is manually go to recovery and clear cache to get back to normal?

Is there a "custom" rom that is simply stock gb minus bloat with updates truly blocked?

Yes. At the exclamation point screen, just repeatedly tap the soft keys until CWM menu pops up and clear cache, reboot. Not sure on the 'simply stock GB rom' question.

I was against running custom roms, for a long time due to all of the minor issues that most of them had. Nothing I tried would stop the MR2 update from constantly being downloaded, automatically (aside from catching it, in the process, and rebooting). I finally bit the bullet and went with BAMF Forever. You did, too, from what I recall. I guess you didn't like it. I'm glad I switched.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
And I know everyone suggests rooting but the rooters out there need to realize that not everyone is able to root. Some people are working with corporate phones and are not permitted to root.
Even if you are not prohibited from modifying your phone by your corporate employer, there is another (often overlooked, I think) reason for not rooting. It's not about the one-time rooting procedure. I assume most everyone with reasonable reading skills should be able to do it. What it is about is that when you root you are taking on the total long-term comprehensive responsibility for patching, updating, hotfixing, and upgrading your OS yourself. Not only with no help from VZW, but potentially with roadblocks put out by Verizon (case in point, being offered and accepting an OTA when you are rooted). Bottom line, you are buying into a whole lot more time than that first relatively simple rooting procedure. Some folks are just not up to it. Others would simply rather not assume the responsibility. Some just don't have the time. Unless, of course, you have a problem that needs a solution. Then you might decide it is worth the above mentioned responsibility in the future.

Then again, if you just enjoy this stuff... of course, that's different. It's a hobby in itself. More than just a phone.

As for the OP, I'm just confused why he is being offerred an update that we've been told is not on the Verizon/HTC servers. Weird.

-Frank

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Do custom roms do something OTHER than just the otacerts.zip.bak thing to block unwanted updates?

I find more things "work" stock rooted than stock s-on or custom roms. The custom roms offer lots of "fun" stuff I don't really need at the cost of some little bugs that I find annoying.

If anyone ever develops a vanilla AOSP rom for the tbolt in which everything works consistantly and uses no more battery than stock that would be my first choice.

In my case I like "playing" with the phone so I don't mind a little more work but I do worry about bricking my phone. Never had that worry when stock s-on.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Even if you are not prohibited from modifying your phone by your corporate employer, there is another (often overlooked, I think) reason for not rooting. It's not about the one-time rooting procedure. I assume most everyone with reasonable reading skills should be able to do it. What it is about is that when you root you are taking on the total long-term comprehensive responsibility for patching, updating, hotfixing, and upgrading your OS yourself. Not only with no help from VZW, but potentially with roadblocks put out by Verizon (case in point, being offered and accepting an OTA when you are rooted). Bottom line, you are buying into a whole lot more time than that first relatively simple rooting procedure. Some folks are just not up to it. Others would simply rather not assume the responsibility. Some just don't have the time. Unless, of course, you have a problem that needs a solution. Then you might decide it is worth the above mentioned responsibility in the future.

Then again, if you just enjoy this stuff... of course, that's different. It's a hobby in itself. More than just a phone.
-Frank
^^^^ Everyone who is looking into rooting or loading alternate firmware should read this carefully. Unless your alternate firmware author has some form of OTA update or the ability to inform you of major changes, please understand that you are taking on the responsibility to visit that author's site occasionally to look for updates, upgrades, and security notifications, and the further responsibility to upgrade to the latest from time to time for your own protection.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, it just needs to be understood by the beginning "rooter". You're putting your trust in a new group of developers, and also accepting that these developers don't have the infrastructure in place to inform you of available upgrades and installing said upgrades might be a little trickier but is no less necessary.

I've gone aftermarket with with a lot of my open-source-based electronics (routers, DVD players, etc), and I frequently choose electronics based on the ABILITY to root and aftermarket the device. But I also understand that I lose the ability to load updates from the stock vendor when I do this, that configuration settings often don't survive upgrades with a lot of aftermarket projects, and I have to watch to make sure the project I've chosen is still active and getting security updates, etc. There are times when I've had to switch from a "dead" project to a new one, and in a few cases back to "stock", because the developer abandoned the project and a security bulletin came out on the kernel or toolset they used.

Go for it! But do it with your eyes wide open.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

As for the OP, I'm just confused why he is being offerred an update that we've been told is not on the Verizon/HTC servers. Weird.

-Frank

I could not agree more...which is why I made that the main point to my FAQ linked to my signature. Rooting can be great, but it does require some responsibility on the part of the user to maintain the device.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You're putting your trust in a new group of developers

THAT is the biggest concern I have whether referring to custom ROMS or just the rooting process itself. You have to fully trust those behind that software. No offense to those great developers, but that's a huge leap of faith for me! (waiting for the black helicopters to circle the area... :p)

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
^^^^ Everyone who is looking into rooting or loading alternate firmware should read this carefully. Unless your alternate firmware author has some form of OTA update or the ability to inform you of major changes, please understand that you are taking on the responsibility to visit that author's site occasionally to look for updates, upgrades, and security notifications, and the further responsibility to upgrade to the latest from time to time for your own protection.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, it just needs to be understood by the beginning "rooter". You're putting your trust in a new group of developers, and also accepting that these developers don't have the infrastructure in place to inform you of available upgrades and installing said upgrades might be a little trickier but is no less necessary.

That is why you/we/people browse forums like this to see what people recommend (ROM). I would never root to an unknown or unproven developer. I like TEAM BAMF because Adrynalyne use to make custom ROMS for the Samsung OMNIA I had a few years back.

I've gone aftermarket with with a lot of my open-source-based electronics (routers, DVD players, etc), and I frequently choose electronics based on the ABILITY to root and aftermarket the device. But I also understand that I lose the ability to load updates from the stock vendor when I do this, that configuration settings often don't survive upgrades with a lot of aftermarket projects, and I have to watch to make sure the project I've chosen is still active and getting security updates, etc. There are times when I've had to switch from a "dead" project to a new one, and in a few cases back to "stock", because the developer abandoned the project and a security bulletin came out on the kernel or toolset they used.

Go for it! But do it with your eyes wide open.
What is the shelf life of a particular phone?....about a year, so eventually the phone will go to the way of the sham-wow!. I don't think developers abandoned projects per se, I think when there is no need for a update, they move on like the most of us. When it is time to get my next phone, I will be seeing what is the hottest phone is and see what is being developed for it!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
What is the shelf life of a particular phone?....about a year, so eventually the phone will go to the way of the sham-wow!. I don't think developers abandoned projects per se, I think when there is no need for a update, they move on like the most of us. When it is time to get my next phone, I will be seeing what is the hottest phone is and see what is being developed for it!

Unless you want to pay for early renewal, the shelf life of most phones nowadays is two years at minimum for most of us. :)

It's a good point, though. Most of the electonics I have "aftermarketed" tend to have much longer shelf lives. My WRT54G is over 5 years old and, thanks to Tomato, going strong. But I do keep an eye out for any published vulnerabilities in Busybox or the Linux kernel the author used, and upgrade to the latest version when he releases one.

Still, even if the phone is out only one year before you can it (and ESPECIALLY if it's out only one year) the number of vulnerabilities found early on is usually higher until the kernel/version starts to stabilize. So if you load the "latest sexy" on your phone that's one or two Android versions newer than stock OTA, understand that the specific underlying Android version may be less stable (translation from developerspeak: require more updates more often). Be sure you choose a developer who is very active about loading security updates and has a good notification system to let you know about new releases.

In addition to corporate BS, this is one of the major reasons why corporate releases on anything tend to take longer to get to market for a given Android/Linux version - the vendors want to wait until the kernel has stabilized a bit, so they don't have to start sending down frequent OTA builds and running the risk of messing up phones. An OTA upgrade is a risky thing - it has to preserve current data while doing an in-place patch.

A new release from BAMF et al is comparatively a pretty easy thing. It's a firmware image that replaces what's there and sets the phone back to a known good state. They also have a much smaller audience of willing followers, so they don't have to "push" updates out to many thousands of phones.

They can come out with frequent releases, and the onus for preserving data and even being aware of the update is down to you, the user. They can also do less testing because they aren't liable if they brick your phone (not that they'd ever do it intentionally, and I've never heard of it happening, but they don't have to ship you a new one under warranty if they screw up like Verizon does).

I'm not at all minimizing the awesomeness that is aftermarket firmware for anything. But it does come with risks not present in the stale old stock stuff, and less recourse for you if things go wrong. And since it's based on much newer kernel versions, you'll probably need pretty frequent updates if security and stability are of interest to you.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Please Help me ..

Gank

Have any of the fixes suggested helped you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos