VZW Visual Voicemail Beneficiaries - Gonna Keep it?

• Total voters

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Calling all folks who switched from regular VZW Voicemail to VZW Visual Voicemail during the recent period when the GB update (605.3) broke the Voicemail notifications: Now that you've used it, (free or paid) after the upcoming "fix", are you gonna keep it?

-Frank

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I never signed up for Visual Voice Mail, instead just used the workaround to check the Voicemail app while waiting patiently for the new GB release that fixes the issue. :)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I never signed up for Visual Voice Mail, instead just used the workaround to check the Voicemail app while waiting patiently for the new GB release that fixes the issue. :)

After using VVM for the last few weeks, it makes regular VM seem totally archaic. I'm keeping it. :)

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I prefer Better YouMail... https://market.android.com/details?...mNvbS5iZXN0aXRndXlzLkJldHRlcllvdU1haWxQcm8iXQ..

ss-480-1-7

Reactions: HPBolt

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Does the standard Verizon voicemail, Visual Voicemail or third party systems (ex. Google Voice, YouMail) require a data connection? I thought the standard voicemail does not, just a basic cell signal. I'm rarely without a data connection, but if other systems require a full blown data connection, that's a negative to me. I just want basic simple to configure and use voicemail.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Does the standard Verizon voicemail, Visual Voicemail or third party systems (ex. Google Voice, YouMail) require a data connection? I thought the standard voicemail does not, just a basic cell signal. I'm rarely without a data connection, but if other systems require a full blown data connection, that's a negative to me. I just want basic simple to configure and use voicemail.
I can only speak to the Verizon Voicemail and Visual Voicemail -- Neither one requires a data connection for simply dialing in to check your messages in the normal way. They both work for that, as expected. However, with VZW VVM, in order to have your voicemail messages listed on the screen for instant access, yes, it does require a data connection.

Think of VVM like email... you'll still have all your previously collected "visual voicemails" in your list, but not the new ones until you have a data connection. But, of course, calling manually will still play any new voicemails. And, with both, you will continue to get VM notificaitons even without a data connection.

-Frank

Reactions: anon(394005)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have Google Voicemail, and it also requires a data connection to use the advanced features.

Unlike Google Voicemail, it's not as tightly integrated into the OS, so without a data connection you don't get an actual voicemail indicator. However, I have Google Voice send me an SMS notification when I receive a voicemail, which allows me to be aware of new voicemails even if my data connection is down.

Without a data connection, Google Voicemail works, well, pretty much like any voicemail. I can call my GV number and check it, just like checking voicemail on Verizon's system. There are prompts to listen to, skip, and delete voicemails.

So the answer is kinda yes and kinda no. Will Google or Visual Voicemail WORK without a data connection? Yes, absolutely. Will they work any better than Verizon's basic voicemail without a data connection? No, they're pretty much the same (especially after the next couple of days when the new Gingerbread version fixes the voicemail notifications on basic voicemail).

If you spend a lot of time in areas without data, don't bother with anything bust plain old basic voicemail.

If you're worried about missing a voicemail just in case you go into an area without data, don't. Verizon Visual VM uses native notification, and with Google Voice you just need to make sure to set things up so you're notified via a text message (which does not use data, SMS comes over the voice subsystem, not the data one).

Bakerboy2253

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have had it since it can out. Works great for business. I can save, forward. Keep forever.

Yes you have to pay for it, but for me it?s worth it.

I only wish you could mark as unread/unlistened for some important ones I need to re-listen to. Or save for a later date, as a reminder.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I had the instinct with Sprint a while back and loved the free visual voicemail. I had vw for almost 2 yrs now. Never water to pay for that premium. But vm annoy me. Having to call, enter password, go through the menu options. Annoying. So when I got the tbolt in May, I signed up for it and I don't mind paying extra. Regular vm seems, primitive. ;)

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I didn't vote, don't want to mess up the poll. Yes, a whopping $2.99 a month, Verizon getting yet another pound of flesh. Got hooked on VVM on my BlackBerry. Rolled it over to my TBolt. Still love it. I can't take personal calls at work but whenever I get a break VVM gives me an instant picture of what's been going on. I can listen to VMs and know who I need to call back right away. I can even see others who I have no intention of calling back ... LOL. I look at it from the perspective of with Google Nav being free I was able to get rid of VZW Navigator at $10 a month so I'm actually ahead of the game.

watson387

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I didn't vote, don't want to mess up the poll. Yes, a whopping $2.99 a month, Verizon getting yet another pound of flesh. Got hooked on VVM on my BlackBerry. Rolled it over to my TBolt. Still love it. I can't take personal calls at work but whenever I get a break VVM gives me an instant picture of what's been going on. I can listen to VMs and know who I need to call back right away. I can even see others who I have no intention of calling back ... LOL. I look at it from the perspective of with Google Nav being free I was able to get rid of VZW Navigator at $10 a month so I'm actually ahead of the game.

Google Voice is free and does the same thing, plus you get a humorous voice-to-text translation. ;)

Drunk texted from my CM7 Bolt.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88