GTalk in 605.5

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Update: Confirmed. Two of us just got the updates, and made a short video call over 3G. Our connection is through a repeater, so it's a little less solid than direct to a tower.

Initiating the call was tricky. It took a while before I even saw him online, and we had to try a few times to get the call started. I'm hoping that's more a symptom of the iffy connection than a real issue with Google Talk Videochat.

Video was grainy but quite acceptable given the connection speed and the teeny camera, and it seemed to switch smoothly between portait and landscape.

I didn't see a button to switch between front and back cameras, but it used the front-facing camera by default. I'm sure a control existed somewhere; we didn't have time for more than a brief test.

amartko

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the 605.5 but video chats through google talk still do not work for me, nor did they in any of the leaked builds. I am running a stock, unrooted phone. Every time I try and initiate a video chat, when ever the person answers I instantly lose the data connection. Every time.

If anyone has an advice on what the issue could be, that would be awesome.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd suggest a factory reset, but since you loaded the leaked builds you've obviously done the equivalent of plenty of factory resets. :p But if you haven't done a factory reset since going to 605.5 (assuming you loaded it as OTA and didn't load the .5 leak), it might be worth a try.

Are you trying these chats over the mobile network or over WiFi?

Have you tried (as unlikely as this is to work) a battery and SIM pull for a few minutes?

Sassyone

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the 605.5 but video chats through google talk still do not work for me, nor did they in any of the leaked builds. I am running a stock, unrooted phone. Every time I try and initiate a video chat, when ever the person answers I instantly lose the data connection. Every time.

If anyone has an advice on what the issue could be, that would be awesome.

My husband and I are having the same issue. We have done a factory reset and battery/SIM pull. We are attempting the video chats over the mobile network. Not sure why it doesn't work.

Sent from Sassy's T_Bolt

Last edited:

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I can't initiate a video call. It just keeps ringing and ringing....weird...anyone else figure out a fix. I'm not going to do a factory reset. That's a little over the top and I have never had to do something like that.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what to say about the connecting issues. Retested with my wife this evening. I sent and received calls fine. Incoming calls used my normal ringtone and answered without incident.

No apparent way to move the preview window or turn it off. I really do not need to see myself, and it blocks a chunk of the remote screen which is annoying. No way to switch cameras so if I want to send high quality video of where I am instead of my ugly mug I have to use skype. Significant delay between send and receive on both sides even on wifi. Felt worse than on 3g, but video quality was better.

Still, transition from portrait to landscape and back was smooth and seamless. Sound and video were both acceptable if not great.

It's about the experience you'd expect videoconferencing from a cell phone.

Videoconferencing. From a CELL PHONE.

I know in 5 years that concept will be old, but my first computer was a TI 99/4a. Videoconferencing from a wireless phone makes me giddy. :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
PS: you've almost certainly done this, but... Click on yourself in the contact list and ensure that "enable voice and video chat" is clicked.

haw1144

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
i also have the same issue w/this new update.

the FFC definitely works, but only if I use wifi

if im' on 4g or 3g, any attempts to connect via video chat ends up w/the phone losing data connection...

guess i'll stick w/using skype!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know any way to ask this without embarrassing myself, so, here goes... :-[

What app do I use on GB to initiate G-Talk Video Chat?

-Frank

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know any way to ask this without embarrassing myself, so, here goes... :-[

What app do I use on GB to initiate G-Talk Video Chat?

-Frank

regular Google Talk
in the window, you see your contacts in individual horizontal bars
to the right of each contact, you see their status (either: a dot=text ability only, a speaker=can do a voice call, or a video camera with corresponding color==green for active, orange for away, red for busy/away)
video camera icon=video chat capability
tap the video camera and it will initiate a video call to that contact

like mentioned before, make sure you enable--via (computer) settings--"voice & video chat"
and in (phone) Talk settings you can customize the sound for a video call

...and there was much rejoicing...

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
regular Google Talk
in the window, you see your contacts in individual horizontal bars
to the right of each contact, you see their status (either a dot, a speaker, or a video camera with corresponding color==green for active, orange for away, red for busy/away)
video camera icon=video chat capability
tap the video camera and it will initiate a video call to that contact

like mentioned before, make sure you enable--via (computer) settings--"voice & video chat"
and in (phone) Talk settings you can customize the sound for a video call

...and there was much rejoicing...
Ah... the "Talk" app. I was looking for "GTalk", "GoogleTalk", or something starting with a G. :D

Thanks,

-Frank

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Ah... the "Talk" app. I was looking for "GTalk", "GoogleTalk", or something starting with a G. :D

Thanks,

-Frank

Note that, inside the Talk app, you also have to click on your own contact entry (top entry, where you'd change your status message and stuff) and make sure you check the box to enable voice and video chat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX