[PSA] Do NOT Install Latest Update if Rooted Running Stock OS

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way -- this is meant purely as a "public service announcement", as there are always many posts that pop up after official updates are released by folks with messed up phones who installed updates on rooted phones...and in some cases, the updates install themselves.

First of all, once you decide to root, you pretty much also decide to take the process of updating your Thunderbolt into your own hands. This is just how it goes. If this seems unfair or too complicated to anyone, perhaps you should re-think your desire to run a rooted phone in the first place. For more on this, you can read the FAQ I linked to in my signature.

Now, installing an update on a rooted phone can do bad things. Best case scenario, you just lose root and have to go through that process again...worst case scenario, you're left with a brick of a phone. From what I've seen on the forums since the the various TB updates have been released, most folks get left somewhere in between. Usually, a phone that may not boot, but can still be recovered.

So, what if I am rooted, and I am still running stock OS...what do I do?!?

Two practical choices as I see it:

1. Install a custom ROM. There are a lot of great devs who have put out a ton a great ROMs for this device. Many of the ones I've tried are, in my opinion, much better than anything "official" Verizon has put out. Go over to the ROOTING subforum, check the stickies and the posts over there, and ask questions if needed -- those of us who have done it before are here to help.
I'm not here to pimp for anyone, so I'm not gonna tell you what ROM you should install. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it -- I'll try to respond as quickly as I can. Also, just check out the posts to see what's popular and what others seem to like.

2. Update your phone to the latest OS yourself.
You can download a rooted (and debloated!) version of the latest OS* (2.11.605.5) right here:
[Rom][Rooted] 2.11.605.5 Full Stock - RootzWiki
You can view instructions on how to install ROMs here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html
And you can check the guide in my signature for how to backup and restore your apps and settings so you don't lose anything in the process.

Again, I'm not trying to force anyone into anything or tell people what to do -- I'm trying to save people from having to deal with the greater headache of trying to deal with a rooted phone that gets "stuck" trying to install an official update.

Who knows, maybe this update will install 100% with no problems on rooted phones, but I'm willing to bet that it won't, based on previous releases.

Bottom line: I'll say it again because it's worth repeating:
DO NOT INSTALL THE OFFICIAL UPDATE IF YOUR PHONE IS ROOTED

*This thread was created a while ago before the last update...but a new ROM of the latest stock OS may be available out there...excuse me for not hunting for it this time.

WARNING #2: SEVERAL FOLKS HAVE REPORTED THAT THE REVOLUTIONARY ROOT METHOD NO LONGER WORKS AFTER THIS UPDATE. IF YOU INSTALL THIS UPDATE, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO GET ROOT BACK.
(this statement has not been confirmed by original poster).

Last edited:

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
i think he just told u! that stock rom sux anyhow! what would the point if your rooted take the next plunge and get a different rom from there u will be hooked

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I am running a custom ROM and would like to go back to stock for a while. The RootzWiki site indicates that the debloated stock rom does not come with a radio. Can you give me a link to how to resolve this? Or will it just keep my present radio if I don't flash a new one? I am running cm7.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw...I ended up with a white HTC screen that never went away after this.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I am running a custom ROM and would like to go back to stock for a while. The RootzWiki site indicates that the debloated stock rom does not come with a radio. Can you give me a link to how to resolve this? Or will it just keep my present radio if I don't flash a new one? I am running cm7.

No ROMs come with radios, but as long as you are running GB or at least froyo MR2, the radio you have will work. There are also posts in the root forum about updating the radio though if you need/want to.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I installed the ruu rooted version of the 605.5 from a different website ( a I don't know why but when I tried the one at wiki I got stuck at the first htc white screen after what appeared to be a successful installation from cwm.) And it seems to be fine so far. No big difference.

I'm already reading reports of folks who rooted through recovery who accepted the ota and now have the triangle.

Is there a suggested way "out" for them?

As I said I am root stock with new gb update installed. Is there any chance vzw would still try to push the update on me?

The thing is I've yet to find any custom rom in which as many features "work" as stock rooted. The customs give you new features but you often lose some existing feature like vvm or nfl mobile live.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alma

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
i think he just told u! that stock rom sux anyhow! what would the point if your rooted take the next plunge and get a different rom from there u will be hooked

I don't have time in my life to spend hours and hours a week, or day, experimenting with my phone. I'm over that.
I actually am pretty happy with the stock rom, but I rooted it to disable the bloatware and be able to use a real backup program.
I'll be happy with the latest stock GB, rooted.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't have time in my life to spend hours and hours a week, or day, experimenting with my phone. I'm over that.
I actually am pretty happy with the stock rom, but I rooted it to disable the bloatware and be able to use a real backup program.
I'll be happy with the latest stock GB, rooted.

Me too but do we have to worry about vzw still trying to push the ota to us even though we've updated to 605.5 through rooted version of ruu?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I flash everything in cwr.

I agree. On some phones installing ROMs using ROM manager seems to work just fine, but the group concensus seems to be that for the best results with the Thunderbolt, you should boot into recovery first (using ROM manager if you want), and then manually install the ROM from there. It really isn't anymore difficult, as the menus are pretty straight forward.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I actually find that even if I use rom manager to boot into recovery 50% of the time it reboots the phone all the way back again (restart). I wish rom manager WOULD always boot to recovery when I ask it to.

I responded mostly to bump this thread so everybody sees it but it might be nice to add a sticky for the people who rooted with revolutionary but did accept the update. I've already read several posts about it. It would be great to have a thread to help them out imo. Maybe a sticky? Would be useful for future mishaps too.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I actually find that even if I use rom manager to boot into recovery 50% of the time it reboots the phone all the way back again (restart). I wish rom manager WOULD always boot to recovery when I ask it to.

I responded mostly to bump this thread so everybody sees it but it might be nice to add a sticky for the people who rooted with revolutionary but did accept the update. I've already read several posts about it. It would be great to have a thread to help them out imo. Maybe a sticky? Would be useful for future mishaps too.

Yes, I'm so used to the BAMF Roms that have the restart options that allow you choose Recovery or Bootloader, that I forget sometimes that the native OS doesn't have that.