Issues with app update notifications?

Peteara

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Here's what happens every other day or so: I'll get a notification saying that 7 apps are available to update. I click to go to the market to update, and there's only 1 app to update. This happens constantly, and the numbers always vary. The notification says 5 updates available, I go to "my apps" in the market, and 2 updates are available.

Now I realize it's not the end of the world, but it is kind of annoying, and it seems like it's only been happening since I got the GB update awhile back. Is it some sort of syncing issue with the Market? If anyone else has seen this on their Thunderbolt, let me know. Thanks guys!

P.S. If someone already posted about this, I apologize. I searched the forums quite a bit and didn't see anything.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
how many gmail accounts do you have on the phone? I have a few and when I get that message it's usually for the NON default account in my market. So I then click menu at bottom and select accounts and change to my default account that I signed in with when I got the phone and then go to my apps and see the updates needed. What's disappointing is that when you select your default account, down the road it still some how diverts to one of my other gmail accounts. I wish there was a way to only have 1 gmail account there to avoid this annoyance.

TigersFIMA

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing going on for a while (on Froyo, didn't get the original GB update). Read somewhere that could clear cache and data for the Market app from Manage Applications (for a different issue) and decided to try that. Afterwards the number of updates in the updates notification matched what I saw in the Market, with the difference being there were a bunch of manual updates for the pre-installed apps (like Rhapsody and V CAST Music, etc.) showing up that weren't there before.

QuikSilver39

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue, when I checked the android market there weren't any updates available. I checked the amazon app store, and there were 4 apps needing updates. I updated those and the issue appears to have been resolved.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Read somewhere that could clear cache and data for the Market app from Manage Applications (for a different issue) and decided to try that. Afterwards the number of updates in the updates notification matched what I saw in the Market, with the difference being there were a bunch of manual updates for the pre-installed apps (like Rhapsody and V CAST Music, etc.) showing up that weren't there before.

I've had the exact same experience. I just go into each app and uncheck the "Allow Automatic Updating" option. I still get the update notice only after a reboot or swapping out batteries, but I just clear the message as I frequently check for updates manually anyway and will see whether one I use needs updated or not. Otherwise, if I don't use the app, I don't update it (why update something you don't use?).

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
how many gmail accounts do you have on the phone? I have a few and when I get that message it's usually for the NON default account in my market. So I then click menu at bottom and select accounts and change to my default account that I signed in with when I got the phone and then go to my apps and see the updates needed. What's disappointing is that when you select your default account, down the road it still some how diverts to one of my other gmail accounts. I wish there was a way to only have 1 gmail account there to avoid this annoyance.

Yes I have more than one gmail account. THe problem is I didn't have this problem before when I had 2 accounts. It only started to happen more recently.

Peteara

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I only have one gmail account, so I don't think that's the problem. Although QuikSilver39 brings up an interesting point about the Amazon market. Didn't both markets (Android and Amazon) used to have separate notifications for updates? Maybe now with Gingerbread, they've combined into one notification. So for example, I get a notification that says 6 updates available, that could be 4 in the Android Market and 2 in the Amazon store.

Or maybe I'm just grasping at straws here. Either way, I'm glad it's not just me that's had the issue. Maybe this revised Gingerbread update will fix things?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
...there were a bunch of manual updates for the pre-installed apps (like Rhapsody and V CAST Music, etc.) showing up that weren't there before.
That means your Market app is operating as designed, unlike prior to clearing cache/data.

When I see those I always update them. Even though I don't use 'em. For all we know there was a problem with one that caused issues with the phone (like unwanted background operation or something?) and they decided to fix it. In my opinion, never pass up an update on a VZW app (bloatware or not). Normally I update them but never open them. If you decide to root, so be it. But until then, my advice would be to always update those VZW apps even if you consider them bloatware.

-Frank

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I experience the same issue where I get app update notifications and when I click on it, it takes me to the Android Market where there are either no updates available or fewer updates available then what the notification said.

rporterfield

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem as well. I only have one gmail account. It is not the account I use for Amazon though. I have checked my Amazon account and it did not have any apps to update, so I don't think there is a tie in there.

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I doubt it has to do with the Amazon app store because I have over 50 apps that need to be updated in the Amazon app store, yet the notice I get on my phone is only for 10 apps that need updating.

An-Droid-M

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Some of these are realted to having more then one Google acount. If you select the Ap's Update in the status bar it will take you to the market but it will swich your acount to wich ever acount has the most Aps that need updating (Priority isue Im guessing) It's anoying but I find that just checking the market it's self and making shore that it's still set to my default acount keeps things less confusing.

Theer are two things Id love to see changed in the maket regading this

1) The ability to chose wich acounts sync with the market and wich ones do not. We can do this with Calender Google Music, Books ect... But aprently not with the market. This may be somehting that needs to be changed in the OS it's self and not the market thou.

2) I woudl LOVE the ability to to ignore updates for Aps I do not want to update. Ther are quit a few "Extra" Aps that come with this phoen and I dont' use any of them and do not update them (And have had not problems with the phone for not updating them) My opionion onthis is im not going to waste time, resorces and space on Ap update sI do not use. If ther not runing they will not efect how your phone works. With that said I want to be able to ignore Updates for these APs so every day Im not constantly buged to update them.

Now I get a few may disagree with me on this but the great thing about the Android phoens is we can use them how we like (Unlike the Apple Phones and devices) Jsut my 2 cents on the matter

As for peopel seeing this problem with one acount i have found a few Aps that i will update then an hour later get an update notification for the same AP, only to find it dose not need it. It's most likly a bug in the Market Ap and hopefuly will be fixed in the new version.

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I was just pushed the new version of the market and there is now a seperate notification for each account you have in the market. All is well!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I just got the new Market (3.3.11). Nice to have the global "Auto-update apps" option instead of having to go into each app and uncheck the "Allow automatic updating". I prefer more control over the update process as I look at the particulars and usually wait a bit for any possible negative feedback before pulling the trigger to update. I do the same on my computers. My only complaint is there is no option to ignore or hide updates to apps (ex. bloatware stuff) that you never use and don't want to update (I don't believe in updating apps you don't use unless you're experiencing a known issue with one of them. An update could have further issues or unwanted behavior). Also since you can't hide or ignore them, you continue to get notified there are updates (just happened with the new Market as it always did previously). Microsoft Update/Windows Update has this option, would be nice to have it in the Android Market too.