Update failed?

withravenoushunger

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
When I was downloading the most recent update, it gave me a message saying server unavailable and stopped. When I check the status, it says download failed. When I try to update again it says theres no new update. What am I supposed to do?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Try a reboot or power off/battery pull. That usually does the trick and gets the phone back to the correct state to look/get the update again.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
When I was downloading the most recent update, it gave me a message saying server unavailable and stopped. When I check the status, it says download failed. When I try to update again it says theres no new update. What am I supposed to do?

Just try again occasionally. This happened to me on the last Gingerbread update.

You can also try a battery pull. I got my re-notification shortly after I did that. Don't know if it helped, but it can't hurt (and with a failed download, a fresh reboot might be a good precaution) .

EricWiz

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Had the same thing happen to me. Tried the reboot too and no luck. But, I just got the update. So, you should be good soon.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Did you try pulling the battery and SIM for 3-5 minutes? That may reprovision you on the network and get you back in the queue quicker. Or as mentioned above, you will probably get it again once the phone gets back in the queue itself.

Bridget86

May 27, 2010
Visit site
maybe someone can help me out too:

My office is horrible with service, but if i restart I at least get 3G (mind you, I'm in Mid-Town Manhattan, but I digress!). Before I restarted I lost service during the upgrade and thus, lost the upgrade. When I restart, go back in settings and click get updates it says there is no updates but when I go to Status has the 2.11.605.6 as the name but the status is download failed.

Sooo... how do I get this upgrade back?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
maybe someone can help me out too:

My office is horrible with service, but if i restart I at least get 3G (mind you, I'm in Mid-Town Manhattan, but I digress!). Before I restarted I lost service during the upgrade and thus, lost the upgrade. When I restart, go back in settings and click get updates it says there is no updates but when I go to Status has the 2.11.605.6 as the name but the status is download failed.

Sooo... how do I get this upgrade back?

Just keep trying. When an upgrade fails, you end up back in the queue.

Some people have reported that pulling the battery for 5 minutes helps - that's what seems to have "unstuck" mine during the 605.3 upgrade.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I apologize for the double-post of this (I also put it in another thread) but it feels relevant to this thread as well...

A quick update: In case anyone is still having issues with a download that failed, a friend of mine at work cleared the cache on the downloader app, and was able to download and install the new OTA shortly after that.

menu | settings | applications | manage applications | "all" tab, or possibly "running" tab | Download manager | clear data

Faster and easier than a battery pull...

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Ive got the update but I have much less free memory. I used to have 200-300 mb free now I only have like 100.

Let me be clear - When you go into "Menu / Settings / Applications / Manage Applications or Storage Use", then click on the "running" tab, you show 100MB free?

That has everything to do with what apps Gingerbread is currently keeping in memory for you and nothing to do with anything you need to worry about.

You can safely ignore that number. Once you start running low on memory, Gingerbread will remove applications from memory as needed to make room for any new apps that need to run. It wants to keep as much in memory as possible so it's instantly available in case you run it again, but you'll never "run out" - Gingerbread just keeps enough free at any given time so you can load a few reasonable-sized apps without it having to page existing ones out of RAM and make you wait. But it wants to hold on to anything you've used recently in case you use it again, so it doesn't have to waste battery power loading it back into RAM.

If that number concerns you, you can get a task killer and start fighting Gingerbread's memory management. But you'll simply be wasting your time, reducing your battery life, negatively affecting your performance, and possibly introducing stability problems as apps are ripped out of memory before they have time to gracefully shut down.

The only time you need to kill an app is when it is truly misbehaving (consuming lots of memory or CPU to the point where it affects overall system performance unnecessarily). And you should only need to kill a misbehaving app ONCE, because the next step is to immediately uninstall it and file a report with the developer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc