OTA Update - SD Card not recognized now

Maypo

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The OTA update just arrived on my phone (unprompted by me - just spontaneously started). After all install and reboot now the phone does not recognize the SD Card! I get the notification that the SD Card has an unrecognizable format and when I select the notification it asks me if I want to format the card. Ugh! All data lost. :(

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You can try powering off phone, pull battery and SD card to reseat it. This is also why it's highly recommended to backup your SD card data BEFORE doing any system update, just to be safe and give yourself an out (ex. connect phone to PC, choose Disk Drive, then copy data as needed). :)

Maypo

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
You can try powering off phone, pull battery and SD card to reseat it. This is also why it's highly recommended to backup your SD card data BEFORE doing any system update, just to be safe and give yourself an out (ex. connect phone to PC, choose Disk Drive, then copy data as needed).

Well sure - but unfortunately: a) I have a life and don't monitor this forum or Verizon on a daily or even weekly basis - so had no idea this was coming and b) as I stated it happened unprompted by me and before I knew it, I had new firmware coming. A little too late to do a quick backup. :(

By the way - pulling the battery and the SD card for 20 seconds then rebooting "fixed" it - so THANKS for the advice. Now will immediately do an SD card backup :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad this worked out well for you.

Though there was obviously no reason to "know" that you needed to back up your data, it still bears mentioning - there's no way of knowing EVER when you will need to back up your data.

So back it up early, back it up often, and back it up when you don't think you need it.

A phone is a very poor place to keep unique copies of anything of any value. Data loss could come from an unexpected OTA upgrade, a malfunctioning charger dropping 120V into your phone, or dropping it down a sewer drain never to be seen again by living men.

Heck, as I learned from the school of hard knocks last year, even a hard drive in a desktop is a bad place to keep unique copies of anything. I'll never get that six months' worth of family photos back. I got lazy with my backup plan and Mr Murphy went all karmic on me. A malfunctioning UPS fried the power supply (ah, irony!) and the voltage spike fried the CPU, the motherboard, and the controller board for the hard drive.

It happens. And it sucks. But it happens.

One copy bad, two copy nervous, three copy sleep-at-night, four copy good. :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol