Will we get android 4.0?

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Officially I would guess no, however, I'm sure someone (other than HTC and Verizon) will work on it and make it available. However, Big Red could always surprise us, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Reactions: Ezduzit

Littleairjordan1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe i will when there is a rom for 4.0 . I am happy with my phone as it is now. After the GB update today my phone has been buttery smooth. Something big like ICS needs to sway me into do it.

Jett2314

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Maybe i will when there is a rom for 4.0 . I am happy with my phone as it is now. After the GB update today my phone has been buttery smooth. Something big like ICS needs to sway me into do it.

You say that, but several posts back you are looking to get quick settings in your notification bar. All this is possible with root. I like to have my phone the way I want it so that is why I root. Stock is good, but having your phone the way you like it is better. I am sure ICS will be good, but right now having sense 3.0 is great.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Not rooting any time soon

That's cool, I *highly* doubt the TBolt gets an ICS update. I could be wrong, but it's unlikely HTC/Verizon will want to invest the resources on it. Heck, they didn't even bother to put Sense 3.0 on the GB update...

Why would you not root? If you did you could install a custom ROM and would be able to have the quick settings in the notification bar you are looking for. You can always go back to stock. Warning once you flash a custom ROM it can be addicting.

I Agree 100%, but I don't like to try to "push" anyone into rooting that doesn't want to. There are definitely things to consider before taking that leap. The benefits of rooting are well documented, but it does require an acceptance of responsibility to maintain the phone, and the risk involved with voiding the warranty. For more on this, see the FAQ linked in my signature.

As much as I doubt that the Thunderbolt will ever "officially" get ICS, I'm pretty sure that some well-built ICS ROMs will start to pop up once the source code is available. I'm too spoiled by BAMF Forever to go back to stock, but if you're happy and the phone runs well, stick with it.

For me, I'm way to curious to not root. The Thunderbolt was my first Android device, and in the first week I owned it I was like "I don't really need to worry about rooting and all that"...but then I was literally rooted a week later, using ADB (no revolutionary method back then!). About a week after that, I was already scrapping the stock OS to install ROMs. I was hooked. For me, it's like an addiction.

skyjjc

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Gees; man give it a rest.

We just got Gingerbread and only one new phone net yet released is scheduled for ice cream sandwich.

Besides ICS is just a mashup between GB and Honneycomb so the same operating system can be used for both platforms....a benefit for the developers, not nececesarily the users. I would suspect it will generate more problems for the phone platform than it provides enhancements.

Just my 2 cents....

kylep23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree with most posters on two counts......

I don't believe an ICS OTA will ever come from verizon for the thunderbolt. They probably won't even have it in stock in March. Why would they dedicate people to push this upgrade when there are many phones coming down the pipeline?

If you are scared to root, why get on here and want for the next os? Especially if your phone runs "buttery smooth"? I personally don't think any of the bloatware filled crap roms are smooth, but to each their own.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
lol. Took longer for this thread than I thought it would. People are never satisfied. And on that note, when can we expect to get some Pumpkin Pie on the Thunderbolt?

kylep23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
lol. Took longer for this thread than I thought it would. People are never satisfied. And on that note, when can we expect to get some Pumpkin Pie on the Thunderbolt?

It comes right after we get Jelly Bean, King Cake, Lortab, Mincemeat Pie, New York Cheesecake, and Orange Sherbet!

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I can't see ICS. Just got GB and that didn't go very well. I think they have spent way more resources on the TB than they could have every imagined.

Especially now that it looks like the are releasing a top phone every 6 months.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
We just got Gingerbread and only one new phone net yet released is scheduled for ice cream sandwich.

I've had GB for like 5 months. I've had Sense 3.0 for 2 months... If you're "just getting" it, don't be upset that some of us like to pretend we have a new phone every few months, we have a 20 month contract before we can spend less that $600 on a new one, I like feeling like I spent my money on something good, not something that WAS broken, and full of sale swag... (This isn't the i*hone, we can have it however we like.)

when can we expect to get some Pumpkin Pie on the Thunderbolt?

I'll throw a pic up with PP on mine around Thanksgiving... ;)

And BTW, we can be about 99.999999999% sure they will never officially update the TB to ICS. But I guarantee I'll have it on mine a week after the source code is released... Have you SEEN what some of these dev's can do?!!!

Just my 2 cents...

TCM

May 1, 2011
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind, the Thunderbolt has been one of Verizon's best selling phones, if not it's best selling smart phone (not sure about now with the iPhone 4s). Over 260,000 have been sold, so there is a possibility that it could get it. I wish I had to the link to the article that gave me this information, but I don't have time to search for it at the moment.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Why worry about ICS when HTC would most likely keep Sense over it anyway? It's like all those clamoring for Gingerbread, then once they got it, it was, "Hey, it pretty much looks the same, what was the big deal about GB?", not realizing it was mainly under the hood improvements. Frankly, from what I've seen of ICS, I'm not all that crazy about how it looks natively, not so sure about those soft button controls versus capacitive ones. So, I'd still prefer the Sense overlay. Besides all that, the Thunderbolt is running like a top now with GB, overall smoother and battery life is better. So, I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. :)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Why would you not root? If you did you could install a custom ROM and would be able to have the quick settings in the notification bar you are looking for. You can always go back to stock. Warning once you flash a custom ROM it can be addicting.

You say that, but several posts back you are looking to get quick settings in your notification bar. All this is possible with root. I like to have my phone the way I want it so that is why I root. Stock is good, but having your phone the way you like it is better. I am sure ICS will be good, but right now having sense 3.0 is great.

NewFlash: Quick Settings is in the HTC Sense 2.1 factory 2.11.605.5 Gingerbread OTA update! No need for root. Or ICS.

-Frank