Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By inc2fit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Pretty good member

Default Unable to change date of recurring appointment?

Hi, all.

When I have a recurring appointment, for example, every Monday at 7:30 am, and I try to change the individual appointment for next Monday to next Tuesday, I am unable to do this from my phone. Is that the way The stock calendar app is supposed to work??? I've only noticed this recently, since the 605.3 OTA (September) but maybe this is just another example of poor integration between Android and my MS Exchange server at work.

Thanks, Robrecht
    Last edited by robrecht; 10-28-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Default Re: Unable to change date of recurring appointment?

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Hi, all.

When I have a recurring appointment, for example, every Monday at 7:30 am, and I try to change the individual appointment for next Monday to next Tuesday, I am unable to do this from my phone. Is that the way The stock calendar app is supposed to work??? I've only noticed this recently, since the 605.3 OTA (September) but maybe this is just another example of poor integration between Android and my MS Exchange server at work.

Thanks, Robrecht
    Yeah, this is a bug. I complained about it just after release in March, 2011. My workaround is to make them an all-day appointment for those recuring days and manually insert the time in the subject field. It works. But only if you are making the appointment yourself. If you are accepting the appointment from someone else, probably not.

It looks like the only way you were able to even get a recurring appointment every Monday at 7:30 am was because you accepted it from someone else. Therefore, it was made "programatically" by the calendar. When I try to make one like that on the phone itself, it fails. That's when I use my workaround above.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Pretty good member

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Yeah, this is a bug. I complained about it just after release in March, 2011. My workaround is to make them an all-day appointment for those recuring days and manually insert the time in the subject field. It works. But only if you are making the appointment yourself. If you are accepting the appointment from someone else, probably not.

It looks like the only way you were able to even get a recurring appointment every Monday at 7:30 am was because you accepted it from someone else. Therefore, it was made "programatically" by the calendar. When I try to make one like that on the phone itself, it fails. That's when I use my workaround above.

-Frank
    Thanks, Frank.

Actually, this was an appointment I created on the phone. Android does support the creation of recurring appointments, eg, weekly every Monday, etc.

I see they also allow the creation of appointments for every weekday, too. But when I set up every weekday appointments on Exchange, they still show up on Saturday & Sunday on my phone. Infuriating lack of integration with MS Exchange/Outlook (& Lotus Notes too).

Thanks, Robrecht

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Thanks, Frank.
    Android does support the creation of recurring appointments, eg, weekly every Monday, etc.
    Mine doesn't. The Menu for daily, weekdays etc. are there, but there is no way for me to tell it for how many weeks, what week, or how many days. If I choose daily for example, it makes an appointment for every day until the end of the world, with no way for me to tell it how many days I want "daily".

But it doesn't matter, I can't get any recurring appointments to work at all other than all-day appointments.

Are you using the factory HTC Calendar interface? Can you give me the steps you use to create an appointment at, say, M-W at 8 am ->9am (i.e. Oct 31st -> Nov 2nd)? Or, M-F that week if you prefer.

Edit/Note: My HTC Sense Calendar points to my Google gmail Calendar -- I suppose that may be differrent if it was pointing to an Exchange server Calendar. I dunno...

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 10-28-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Pretty good member

Mine doesn't. The Menu for daily, weekdays etc. are there, but there is no way for me to tell it for how many weeks, what week, or how many days. If I choose daily for example, it makes an appointment for every day until the end of the world, with no way for me to tell it how many days I want "daily".

But it doesn't matter, I can't get any recurring appointments to work at all other than all-day appointments.

Are you using the factory HTC Calendar interface? Can you give me the steps you use to create an appointment at, say, M-W at 8 am ->9am (i.e. Oct 31st -> Nov 2nd)? Or, M-F that week if you prefer.

Edit/Note: My HTC Sense Calendar points to my Google gmail Calendar -- I suppose that may be differrent if it was pointing to an Exchange server Calendar. I dunno...

-Frank
    I too cannot set an end date from my phone, but I can set up a recurring appointment that doesn't end in the stock calendar app:
    Add event
    Repetition
    Weekly (every Friday)

Thanks, Robrecht

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

I too cannot set an end date from my phone, but I can set up a recurring appointment that doesn't end in the stock calendar app:
    Add event
    Repetition
    Weekly (every Friday)

Thanks, Robrecht
    Exactly. To me, that means it doesn't work. I mean, I don't want my recurring appointment to be shown every day until 2099!

-Frank
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Pretty good member

Exactly. To me, that means it doesn't work. I mean, I don't want my recurring appointment to be shown every day until 2099!

-Frank
    That doesn't bother me so much. I can always delete it when the series of appointments are over, eg, when I retire. Or I can modify the series on Outlook when I'm back at my desk. Certainly not ideal but not as bad as not being able to change the day, for me anyway. Maybe I'll go back to Touchdown, but at $20 its rather expensive and I don't like that some new phones, eg, the Bionic, are not compatible with Touchdown--hope that doesn't become a trend.

Thanks, Robrecht

ROM
    Stock

I recreated this on my phone in both Google Calendar and in my Exchange calendar. I did notice that if you try to edit the future calendar event in the series, it will let you rename it or change the time, but not the date. I guess it is a limitation of the integration on the device. I had not noticed this before as I rarely use recurring calendar events.

Like you said, if you create it with the phone, you could always use outlook to change the date. That seems like a PITA, but I can't find another way.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Pretty good member

Thanks, Mikey.

What's your PhD in, BTW?

Thanks, Robrecht

ROM
    Stock

Poultry Science & Food Microbiology - Basically I get to play in chicken **** and tell people not to eat it 'cause it will make them sick. It's not quite that simple, but you get my drift, I'm sure.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey D_PhD View Post
    Poultry Science & Food Microbiology - Basically I get to play in chicken **** and tell people not to eat it 'cause it will make them sick. It's not quite that simple, but you get my drift, I'm sure.
    Shoot! There goes the lunch I had planned!

-Frank
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Pretty good member

Thanks; now I feel better about my thesis topic!

Thanks, Robrecht

ROM
    Stock

What are doing your thesis on?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Pretty good member

What are doing your thesis on?
    Did it years ago, on the literary structure of the Gospel of Mark, specifically the delimitation of the prologue.

Thanks, Robrecht

ROM
    Stock

If I had taken more English & Theology, I might understand your thesis. As it stands it would probably be a mixture of Greek, Hebrew and hieroglyphics. Congrats on getting one written, though. It's a lot of work.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I set up a recurring appointment for every Monday at 10:30 AM The last day for the appointment should be Oct 31. I went to the November 7 listing and then chose to delete this instance and all future instances.

I do have to say the caledar app on my Storm did give more options and I wish I could find a better calendar for Android
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    Pretty good member

Quote Originally Posted by mbsweb View Post
    I set up a recurring appointment for every Monday at 10:30 AM The last day for the appointment should be Oct 31. I went to the November 7 listing and then chose to delete this instance and all future instances.

I do have to say the caledar app on my Storm did give more options and I wish I could find a better calendar for Android
    Interesting. I only see options for deleting a single appointment or the whole series, not for all future appointments.

Thanks, Robrecht
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Pretty good member

If I had taken more English & Theology, I might understand your thesis. As it stands it would probably be a mixture of Greek, Hebrew and hieroglyphics. Congrats on getting one written, though. It's a lot of work.
    No Hieroglyphics. I'll translate the (mostly) Greek and (little bit of) Hebrew and if I ever get around to publishing it. Maybe when I retire?

Thanks, Robrecht

I know this is an older topic but I have been having the same problem but found how to fix not being able to change the date of one appt on a recurring appt series.

When you go to change the date (and cant), just hit save...even though it wasnt changed.

Go back in and it works. It doesnt do it for a recurring but when you save it, it obviously saves it as it's own appt...no biggy.

I use google calendar and im a little pissed that this does this because I actually changed to android because i need the calendar...its my business...and came from blackberry....thought this would be a much better option...lol...Love the phone....androids cool...just mad that a simple thing like calendar is messed up.
    Just when you think you know it all, you've learned you know nothing
    FrankXS likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Pretty good member

Hmmmm ... that doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks, Robrecht

Cool Re: Unable to change date of recurring appointment?

Add event
    Repetition
    Weekly (every Friday)

Thanks, Robrecht
    For whatever reason, the android developers had left that feature out of the feature list for android calendar. I was stumped the first time that I realized it, but figured out that you can easily workaround this limitation by 1) Setting your repeating (or recurring) event. 2) Then, edit the 1st occurrence of this event FOLLOWING the occurrences that you do want to keep. 3)Specify that you want to delete the event. It will ask you if you "want to delete ALL the events", "ONLY THIS OCCURRENCE of the event", or "THIS OCCURRENCE AND ALL FUTURE OCCURRENCES?". Your response should be "this occurrence and all future occurrences?". Personally, I don't see why the android developers can't incorporate this logic right into the android calendar code. This deficiency has been known since android calendar has been out. I hope you find this workaround to be of use, at least till the android developers figure it out.