1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The ROOT Of The Question

Well Ive been a Android Phone owner for several years now and have never rooted my phone. After the last few updates to the T-bolt I have seriosly been considering doing it. Aside from the ocasional bugs (Wich you can get when rooting as well) all the added APs that I simply do not want that come with EVERY updat is another reason. Also after talking to a few friends that have rooted there phones and reading on the fourems it seems to me that ther are several upsides to rooting as well. So Im asking the genral comunity what do I need to know. Being basicaly a Newbe to the idea of rooting I dont' know a dam thing about it other then the obvious(And in some cases proably not even that) So What Id like to know is this...

What do I need to do if I want to Root my phone.

What am I downloading exactly??

What is the diference between an RUU, A Flash and a Kernel (Yes like I said No Clue)

Is there someplace I can find online that will explane all of this for me other then asking hear.

Once I root the Phone or Flash or what ever how do I get the phone back to Stock when a new OTA version comes out.

What are the Pro's and Con's to Rooting (Proably shoudl have asked this one first)

Mind you this is not something Im just going to go and do I plan to do ALOTof reserch and diging befor I even start thinking about weather this is something i realy want to do. I am how ever intrested and figuer the best way to start this is to ask questions.

Thanks in advance for any and all answeres

ROM
    Synergy

Default Re: The ROOT Of The Question

You can start by reading this FAQ, and the sticky guides in the root forum if you'd like to learn more.

[FAQ] Should I Root My Thunderbolt?

ROM
    Stock/BAMF Forever1.10

Default Re: The ROOT Of The Question

Quote Originally Posted by An-Droid-M View Post

What do I need to do if I want to Root my phone.

Use Revolutionary method, Watch the You Tube video from nat3mil

What am I downloading exactly??

By this I suppose you mean when you download a ROM. A ROM is a different operating system for your phone.

What is the diference between an RUU, A Flash and a Kernel (Yes like I said No Clue)

An RUU is a ROM upgrade utility, Flash is what you do to install a radio, kernel, or ROM onto your phone. A kernel connects the application software to the hardware of a computer

Is there someplace I can find online that will explane all of this for me other then asking hear.

As the post above mine says read the Should I root thread.

Once I root the Phone or Flash or what ever how do I get the phone back to Stock when a new OTA version comes out.

Revolutionary also has an unrooting method by nat3mil on You Tube,

What are the Pro's and Con's to Rooting (Proably shoudl have asked this one first)

Con first, If it's found out that you rooted your phone it voids your warrenty. Pro. The developers of the ROM you choose update often (example BAMF Forever has updated 9 times in a month and a half VZW has updated 3 times since Thunderbolt was released.

Mind you this is not something Im just going to go and do I plan to do ALOTof reserch and diging befor I even start thinking about weather this is something i realy want to do. I am how ever intrested and figuer the best way to start this is to ask questions.

Thanks in advance for any and all answeres
    Don't get me wrong or anything. But if you plan on doing research and digging you should do that first then ask questions if there's something you don't understand. Most everyone in the rooting section here and in other forums are very helpful and are more than willing to assist those who help their self's. I went to the BAMF, XDA, and Rootwiki, forums before deciding to root. If you do the research yourself you most likely won't need to ask questions as these forums are a very good data base for rooting info. Good luck with your decision!

I can tell you this....I have had a lot of fun (and scares) rooting and trying different roms but I wouldn't say there is a lot of practical value for it. I know most rooters would disagree but although I find custom roms more fun they don't really do anything stock doesn't do (unless you plan to steal service by tethering or something). I think most rooters pay for services just like everyone else does.