OTA Theory

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that my phone is always one of the last to get updated with the OTA's. I'm a patient guy, so it's not that big a deal, but I was trying to figure out why. I bought my Bolt on April 17th, a month after it was released, so if Verizon doles out updates by serial number, it makes sense that I would get the OTA after many of you. However, I've read on these forums that some people who got their phones fairly recently have received the update already. That makes me question whether VZW really goes by the serial number.

So here's my theory: I'm wondering if the reason I'm one of the last to receive the OTA every time is because I bought my phone through LetsTalk.com and not Verizon.

I'm hoping that if anyone out there still hasn't gotten the GB OTA, you can post here telling me whether you got your phone through Verizon or a different company. If those of you who haven't gotten it, bought your phone from Verizon, then my theory is invalid, but if you bought your phone from a different place, then that might explain why it takes so long for us to get it.

Thanks for humoring me and my crazy conspiracy theories.....:D

Antiseen

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
It's probably based on location. They have to roll out the updates in waves, they can't push out the update to every phone at once or they'll run into problems, I'd imagine. You're probably in a location that's further down the list.

kpageisgreat

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Its based on looks...if your good looking you get updated first..........

what this person said is true... all my beautiful friends and I have received it but my ugly friend hasn't. sad..... lol.

Anyhoo, could be by location or it could be by production run. I always wondered this....

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I believe the updates are pushed out by MEID number (unique to each phone). So depending on what batch of MEID's your phone may be in will determine when you get the update. That is if you're even in a batch or listed with the carrier/manufacturer (not sure which one or both may coordinate or maintain them). A cursory search on the Internet seems to state that it's possible a phone's MEID may be dropped somehow. In any case, you have a couple options, either call the carrier about not getting the update yet or download the official RUU and flash the phone with it (caution, RUU's wipe your phone, so back up your data which should be done on a regular basis anyway). :)

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I was first on line first day out at vz store that opened one hour earlier that day. I still get it much later than others

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it matters WHEN you got the phone. If what I'm reading online (via Google search on the topic) is correct, it depends on what batch your MEID number is in and where that batch is in the rollout process. As such, the rollout can take weeks to reach every phone. So patience is key. Or if you're like me (I was a hair trigger away from doing it just before I got the OTA), download the official RUU (via Android Police here: [Updated] Exclusive: Gingerbread Build 2.11.605.5 For The HTC Thunderbolt, Fixes Several Issues From Official Gingerbread OTA) and flash the phone with it using the instructions on that link. But be forewarned, RUU's wipe your phone, so back up your data BEFORE proceeding.

Last edited:
Reactions: mightyfacundo

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it matters WHEN you got the phone. If what I'm reading online (via Google search on the topic) is correct, it depends on what batch your MEID number is in and where that batch is in the rollout process. As such, the rollout can take weeks to reach every phone. So patience is key. Or if you're like me (I was a hair trigger away from doing it just before I got the OTA), download the official RUU (via Android Police here: [Updated] Exclusive: Gingerbread Build 2.11.605.5 For The HTC Thunderbolt, Fixes Several Issues From Official Gingerbread OTA) and flash the phone with it using the instructions on that link. But be forewarned, RUU's wipe your phone, so back up your data BEFORE proceeding.

I know you're right, but I was really hoping to paint VZW as the villain; scheming in a hidden board room, trying to punish those of us who dared to save a few bucks by buying the Bolt from another company. If you listen closely, you can almost hear a maniacal laugh.....

Oh, and thank god updates aren't based on looks. I might never see Gingerbread!