Post GB update ... The reboots are back

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I only had a total of 4 even with the MR1 update. That is quite odd. The new GB update has been pretty smooth for the most part for me. I get the occasional lag here and there, but I may just have way too many apps. I should probably get rid of at least half of them since I really don't use them.

drrayray

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat Phil. I don't want to reset but I see it in the near future. Ever since the GB update it reboots at least twice a day.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I really love bamf forever but for some reason my screen sometimes loses sensitivity in bamf. I have to push power,up volume, and down volume simultaneously to restart phone (or so a battery pull). This happens to me occasionally in stock rooted rom too (maybe once a month) but happens more than once a week in bamf. Still not every day or anything but it annoys me just enough to leave bamf....then I always miss the bamf extra features and go back...then the first time the screen freezes I nandroid back to stock.

I believe this is just an issue with my phone and has nothing to do with bamf but bamf just trips it more often for some reason.

Haven't had a forced restart since before mr2. Its like every tbolt has its own weakness (es)

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Yah I'd say it's time for a master reset to at least clear the slate so to speak and start from a known good state. Or would flashing the full RUU be any better as it wipes the device and installs a fresh copy of the ROM? I've always wondered if there is any real difference between the two as long as both are the same software version.

I have to say something about the suggestions to root and ROM (for those out there reading this and new to the idea). IMO, that in and of itself brings with it a whole different set of potential problems. It isn't going to magically cure all that ails your phone. You're just jumping onto a different set of tracks that have their own inherent problems. :)

Wookie13

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking that my reboots seemed to have been fixed lately with the last OTA. Then I was reading through the board here and checking something on my phone, and the screen was gone. Realized the reboots are still there after all. I think I am still too much of a chicken to try the root on a warrantied phone, but this is annoying. On the flip side I don't want to do another factory reset and lose all of my progress on the multitude of games I have on here. What to do, what to do?

Almightyclown

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have to say something about the suggestions to root and ROM (for those out there reading this and new to the idea). IMO, that in and of itself brings with it a whole different set of potential problems. It isn't going to magically cure all that ails your phone. You're just jumping onto a different set of tracks that have their own inherent problems. :)

Not trying to start an argument, because I know rooting isn't for everyone...but in my limited experience if I have a problem with a rom it will get fixed in the next update within a couple weeks...sometimes days. On the other hand, big red takes way longer just to start considering trying to work on fixing the problem.

Thunderbolt + Tapatalk = This Post

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking that my reboots seemed to have been fixed lately with the last OTA. Then I was reading through the board here and checking something on my phone, and the screen was gone. Realized the reboots are still there after all. I think I am still too much of a chicken to try the root on a warrantied phone, but this is annoying. On the flip side I don't want to do another factory reset and lose all of my progress on the multitude of games I have on here. What to do, what to do?

I agree with Almightyclown... I don't want to start a fight either... but to say "reboots are still there after all" is totally incorrect... I have not seen any reboots with this ROM. And knowing who you are talking to is the point of my recommendation... Phil is not a rookie, or a noob... he knows how to root and what that involves.

Yes, rooting is not for everybody... but BAMF Forever is a great ROM that I have not found any problems with... there might be an update or two in the future for this ROM... I sure hope so... but it's worth it to know any problems will be fixed quickly and not take months to wait for. And anyone that doesn't know what it takes to Root should not just jump into it with a lot of reading before hand.

Wookie13

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Almightyclown... I don't want to start a fight either... but to say "reboots are still there after all" is totally incorrect... I have not seen any reboots with this ROM. And knowing who you are talking to is the point of my recommendation... Phil is not a rookie, or a noob... he knows how to root and what that involves.

Yes, rooting is not for everybody... but BAMF Forever is a great ROM that I have not found any problems with... there might be an update or two in the future for this ROM... I sure hope so... but it's worth it to know any problems will be fixed quickly and not take months to wait for. And anyone that doesn't know what it takes to Root should not just jump into it with a lot of reading before hand.

I know who I was replying to, I saw the post and was thinking that I was happy that my rebooting problem had gone away with the last OTA, and then after I was moving along down the board, my phone rebooted. So I just came back to say I was also having the same problem, which in turn means my reboots were still there, I just thought they were fixed, not certain how I could be incorrect on what was happening with my phone. I fully understand that Phil knows a ton more about these devices than I do, and more than likely keeps his T-Bolt stock so he can report to us on how the phone works for the average user. I said I haven't had the guts to root the phone and move to a custom ROM, although, I am beginning to think about it now.

On the flip side, it seems quite a few T-Bolt users are happy with the BAMF ROM's, I had been debating about going to CM7 for my wife's Fascinate that is driving her crazy lately, but I don't see anything from them for this phone, so I am guessing that if I did finally pull the trigger, this would be the one to use.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Well, you can ROOT your phone without losing any data, by using http://www.revolutionary.io. Once you have ran that, you can download MyBackUp Pro and backup your data (game data, SMS, MMS etc). Then once all that is done, you can flash to a ROM. If you don't like it.....go back to the stock GB OTA....people here do it all the time. I regularly flash to a new ROM about 2 times a week....and always come back to BAMF Forever....the ROM is just stable!.

My phone is under warranty also, and if I have to take it back (which I did after I rooted and flashed), I just FACTORY RESET and an hour or so later.....I was in the Verizon Store.

Speaking of which, last time I was in the store (issue with my oldest boy's Droid 2), I was showing the sale dude my BAMF'd phone....he wrote the TeamBAMF web address and said he was going to flash to it. Told him it was "debloated" of all the crapware.

Moral of the story......BACKUP and FLASH!

Reactions: Wookie13

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Definitely agree. BAMF Forever (and it's little brother Forever Cubed) are stable as heck. Great ROM's. In terms of Phil's TB reboots, I think trying to factory reset could do the track. Could be some weird stuff going on with the caches when the OTA update pushed to his phone and could have caused something wonky. Just a possibility. Makes sense that a lot of Devs always ask people when they flash a new ROM to just wipe caches, Factory reset, and all that stuff so that the new ROM doesn't get all crazy. OTA updates are designed to keep a customer from losing all their information and retaining everything but getting all the updates to the radios, base OS, kernels, etc. However, as we've seen, OTA updates don't go exactly to plan and many a folk have been forced to factory reset their phones in order for it to work right. I must have been bored. I am just rambling now...lol

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
No reboots for me, but much more frequent data connectivity issues on the GB OTA, which I've had since 605.3.

Thanks, Robrecht

dgh51

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Before I got the recent OTA, I did a reset. Since the update I have had 3 reboots.

I'm one to suspect software, either weatherbug elite or one of the verizon bloatware that wants to update that I haven't updated.

-Damien

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Before I got the recent OTA, I did a reset. Since the update I have had 3 reboots.

I'm one to suspect software, either weatherbug elite or one of the verizon bloatware that wants to update that I haven't updated.

-Damien

I haven't knowingly updated any Verizon programs and I haven't had any reboots. I do try to update all of my other apps as much as possible though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995