solution for contacts wrong ringtones

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I just found this in another forum. I've seen that others have said it works.

Move your ringtones into your media / audio / ringtones on the SD card. If the folder ringtones isn't there put your whole ringtone folder there. I don't know if it's case sensitive but it was all in lower case. I just tried this and haven't had any calls yet. But lets all try it and report back. Also you will need to reset all of your ringtones.

forced4 posted this solution in another forum. I just found it via a LOT of looking around. I don't think it's appropriate to post the other forum's name so if you need to know PM me.

Last edited:

tjefferson3

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Rcmarks314 are you having any luck with the solution?...I am having the same issue with my custom ringtones...I even unrooted my phone thinking that was the cause and my ringtones played correctly until my phone automatically updated to GB...so I found a forum with a post suggesting the same except the folder created was Ringtones case sensitive...my son called this morning and the correct ringtone played, my other son called a few mins later (assigned a different ringtone) and my first son's ringtone played...I love my Thunderbolt, but I rely on the custom ringtone feature....
SN: I had to create an audio folder off of the media folder, I didn't have an audio folder there by default...I wonder if that mattered...and if so how does the audio folder get created....

Last edited:

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the audio folder in the media folder already. I don't know if it was created in the initial setup or not, I think it was. Rooting may have done something to that folder or maybe it just wasn't there for you. So far it seems to be working. I'll post back if it starts to go wonky. I'll try caps for the first letter first if both are wonky we'll try something else. Also if you're rooted you might try to move the files onto the phone its self. fatboy97 has the instructions for this in the root forum "ringtones messed up" is the thread. HTH

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
There are two folders you can create: "notifications" for your notifications and "ringtones" for your ringtones. My understanding is that they are not case-sensitive, but I created mine in lowercase. My further understanding is that they can go anywhere, but I put them on the root of the SD card to keep them easy to find

The biggest advantage of doing this is to make them part of the "normal" ringtone list, so you can easily select them to be ringtones. Plus, on several phones (like my wife's Pantech Crossover), if custom ringtones aren't in that folder they never play and you get bizarre messages about them being too large or in an unsupported format.

Edit the MP3 tag on the file to have the title you want shown on your default ringtone list.

I've never heard of this being a fix to intermittent failures to play a custom ringtone, but it can't hurt.

tjefferson3

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
WoW....I've just spent about 2 hrs trying to get my custom ringtones to ring properly trying all the suggestions...no luck...bummer...I thought about rooting again and trying fatboy97's suggestion...but then I tested setting different stock ringtones (which I suppose are on the root of the phone) to individual contacts, and the last caller's ringtone plays for the next caller...Ugggghhh!!!! Very frustrating...I would like to know without looking at my cell who is calling...

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The more I see about this the more I think we need a Dev. to figure it out. There must be something different from Froyo to GB. It only took Eris a half an hour to fix the VMN My hope is that someone will find the solution for this. I tried the fix and it worked for a while but returned to being wonky. I guess if TJ3 had the same problem with the stock tones. Moving the ringtones to that folder on the phone isn't going to help. Off to do more research.

tjefferson3

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thought I would share this link Ringtone changes - Page 3 may work for some of you having problems, it didn't work for me...this is making me crazy...I guess it's time to use my Thunderbolt as a back up and search for a numero uno...HTC Rezound, or Galaxy Nexus....hummmm....