can I still get unlimited wireless hotspot?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I have unlimited data on my phone right now. Is it still possible for me to add the Unlimited wireless hotspot?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have unlimited data on my phone right now. Is it still possible for me to add the Unlimited wireless hotspot?

Hotspot was never technically unlimited. They gave it to us because we were early adopters and they wanted to lure us in to keep Hotspot, but it's still only 2GB a month for Hotspot.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes. They are not "directtly" related. You can add the MHS for 30/mo and you will still have unlimited data (via either means) if you have it now.

-Frank

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes. They are not "directtly" related. You can add the MHS for 30/mo and you will still have unlimited data (via either means) if you have it now.

-Frank

Or you can root your phone, flash to a ROM (I am using das BAMF Forever Cubed 1.0.9....for the time being) and then download Barnacle Tether and use that. I have used it a little...more to test than anything else and it worked....but keep in mind, if you don't have UNLIMITED mins. you will get hit with an OVERAGE.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

If you mean for free, then "NO" (unless you root and use one of the tether apps, which are against Verizon TOS, btw).

If you mean is it possible to add the hotspot plan WITH unlimited* data (and pay for it accordingly), then "YES" you should be able to do that. I have it on my plan.

*Verizon's definition of "unlimited" may differ from yours (and mine...and everyone else's)

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hotspot was never technically unlimited. They gave it to us because we were early adopters and they wanted to lure us in to keep Hotspot, but it's still only 2GB a month for Hotspot.

Not to thread crap but I have had an upgrade since July and have been holding off to get a 4G phone till the Nexus and Razr are released.

I have unlimited data and am thinking about adding 4G Mobile Hotspot for $30 when I upgrade.

I've been advised multiple times that if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and are adding 4G Mobile Hotspoit for $30, that it too is unlimited.

I don't have 4g in my main area, but have been told that it will carry over to sessions that are on 3g as well.

I am considering the feature to have it in the future since I doubt Verizon will allow people to add it in the future forever. I will get a 20% discount off this feature through my employee discount as well.

I am currently rooted myself and have tethered for free in the past, but $24 for the right to have unlimited 4g/3g tethering and be legitimate seems like it may be worth it.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I mean the unlimited hotspot for $30.
I tried to add it a few months ago but couldn't because I was on the 2GB plan.

I have since managed to get unlimited data, and now want to get the unlimited tether before it's too late.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I have since managed to get unlimited data, and now want to get the unlimited tether before it's too late.
Well, now it's getting complicated. Your first post just said you were currently unlimited. Now you say that you've somehow "transitioned" from unlimited to 2GB back to unlimited. Definitely different. I think you really need to call a VZW Rep. Maybe 2 or 3 Reps, until you get the real story for you on your account.

-Frank

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I'm a little confused too, but if you've really managed to go from a tiered 2 GB plan back to unlimited for $29.99, please share. It has no affect on me, but I need to satisfy my curiosity. Hope you didn't have to sleep with anybody... :) unless she was hot....joking

Also, it's a fact that someone on any kind of tiered plan cannot even add the $30 MHS feature. A person on 2 GB tiered cannot legitimately tether and needs to actually change their data plan to 4 GB or higher to be able too. Then the only limit you need to abide by is the data plan itself. If you want to use all 4 GB for tethering, VZW will allow it.

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I started on the 2GB plan since I joined VZN after July.

Last month, I called to cancel my line but the rep gave me unlimited data to keep me.

Anyway, I ended up getting a Bionic instead of a Tbolt. I called 611 and the rep added the unlimited hotspot to my account for $30 a month.

Thanks all!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little confused too, but if you've really managed to go from a tiered 2 GB plan back to unlimited for $29.99, please share. It has no affect on me, but I need to satisfy my curiosity. Hope you didn't have to sleep with anybody... :) unless she was hot....joking

Also, it's a fact that someone on any kind of tiered plan cannot even add the $30 MHS feature. A person on 2 GB tiered cannot legitimately tether and needs to actually change their data plan to 4 GB or higher to be able too. Then the only limit you need to abide by is the data plan itself. If you want to use all 4 GB for tethering, VZW will allow it.

Not on the Thunderbolt, but there are phones you can get that include 5gb mhs even on the 2gb data plan at just $30, meaning no extra charge for. 5gb mhs

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Yes, you're right. Here are the current options for the Tiered data plans.

Notice that only the top three INCLUDE MOBILE HOTSOT.

DataChoice01.jpg

DataChoice02.jpg

Edit: And, here is the latest "double data" promo that starts November 8th, 2011 and DOES NOT INCLUDE HOTSPOT.

vzw_data_one.jpeg

-Frank

Last edited:

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I'm not sure what the cap is on it (hence my sidenote on my original post), but they do label it as "Unlimited Hotspot" under the feature listing *IF* you have the unlimited data plan. Again, their definition of "Unlimited" may differ from that of a person who knows what the word "unlimited" actually means, but that is what they call it.