Soo many bugs since gingerbread.

withravenoushunger

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Apps force close more. The phone app will freeze and force me to pull the battery. phone app stops responding then calls random numbers. I've been getting 2 random reboots per day. Startup takes about 5 minutes. phone starts to lag sometimes. With how long they took to release gingerbread, I was hoping they would put some effort into it. HTC is a horrible company.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Apps force close more. The phone app will freeze and force me to pull the battery. phone app stops responding then calls random numbers. I've been getting 2 random reboots per day. Startup takes about 5 minutes. phone starts to lag sometimes. With how long they took to release gingerbread, I was hoping they would put some effort into it. HTC is a horrible company.

Did you do a system reset after the gb update? If you still have problems after that, try to pull the battery with the phone on, then open sim tray and wait for 5 minutes. If you still have problems, call Verizon for a clnr.

BTW, if you think HTC is bad, don't buy the iPhone 4S, there are claims it uses 15% battery on idle per hour.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Verizon releases all it's updates as OTA patch-style updates, which is pretty nice because they don't delete your data, but often cause more problems than they are worth.

The seriously need to (A) design a method for fully backing up ALL user data on Android phones, even non-rooted ones, which will (B) allow users to install updates properly...by forcing a device wipe before hand.

A little more effort on the users' end perhaps, but I image would save a ton of support calls when updates go wrong.

I agree with dpham00...until you do a factory reset, it's really hard to know whether it was a bad update, or it just a case of data getting corrupted during the update or being incompatible. It's a pain in the ass I realize, but that is the truth.

The stock GB update wasn't "perfect" by a longshot, but most people are NOT having the issues you describe. Hard to blame HTC for not coming to your house and testing your specific phone personally.

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm holding off on the root for now. What are my options for saving data? I'd like a titanium esque solution that allows me to save in app data as well. I don't want to have to start over angry birds after getting all the stars in the first three episodes. :p

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm holding off on the root for now. What are my options for saving data? I'd like a titanium esque solution that allows me to save in app data as well. I don't want to have to start over angry birds after getting all the stars in the first three episodes. :p

Rooting with the new method should save all your data. Once you have root you can use programs like MyBackup or Titanium. Using these programs you can save all your app data like angry birds levels. Then do a factory reset/ flash new rom. Now you can reload your apps and restore their data.

Without root you cannot save app data.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Why hasn't the OP chimed back in? Did they fix their problem with a reset and find out there was no problem at all? I mean really if you buy a car do you expect it to run until the warranty runs out with no maintenance. OMG my windshield washer fluid ran out, this is the worst car ever! And the worst part is they are the ones drooling at the VZW window having to have the latest and greatest. I was shocked at how soon the battery ran out but I came from a dumb phone that I charged once a week. I just STFU and did a little research found fixes to the problems I was having and moved on. Then I pulled the four cylinder engine and slapped in a V8. (rooted it) Things would be much better if you just ask or even better search around and find the solution to the issues you're having. Maybe this is just the rantings of an old man who hasn't been spoon fed his whole life. Off the soap box and back to your regularly scheduled programing.

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't doubt it will get it because it's still a tier 1 device and will be for some time. As for the time frame: don't hold your breath.

zuker88

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I too have been suffering similar effects since the GB updates. I have considered a factory reset. Having never done a reset is there anything I need to do prior to the reset to make restoring the phone to its pre reset state (contacts, apps, etc.) easier?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I too have been suffering similar effects since the GB updates. I have considered a factory reset. Having never done a reset is there anything I need to do prior to the reset to make restoring the phone to its pre reset state (contacts, apps, etc.) easier?

I think doing a factory reset is a good idea, especially if your phone is giving you problems. I saw improved battery life and the phone seemed to run much faster. I used MyBackup Pro to backup my photos, sms, contacts, a few apps, and my calendar. I know Google backs up a few of these, but I wanted to keep all of my stuff in one place. I then made a list of all my apps so that I wouldn't forget any. The Amazon market keeps a list of every app you got from them, but the Android market only keeps purchased apps.

I don't think I'm forgetting anything, but if I am, I'm sure someone else will help me out.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

What qualifies you to make a statement like HTC is a horrible company? Your lack of knowledge with the phone could sway someone who knows even less than you to buy a worse phone. Do us all a favor don't post garbage like that till you at least start with a reset first. because I doubt it is any HTC did an most likely something you did or installed.

TheIshMan

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I am at wits end! My (Verizon) HTC Thunderbolt, since the Gingerbread update, cannot hold its connection with my integrated Honda Accord Bluetooth! To get it back, I need to flush the phones bluetooth data and re-pair the device. UGH! Got a problem with ring tones? I do! I have special ringtones for the family (1 for wife, 1 for kids) that have stopped functioning properly since gingerbread. If I receive a call with a special ring tone then the next call, regardless of the caller, gets that special ringtone. Conversely, if the first of 2 call is with an everybody else ringtone, then the next call up, regardless gets the everybody ringtone! Finally, the voice mail icon brings me to text messages, no longer to voice mail. Here's the kicker, HTC says, yes they're aware, but, it could be a month before they send out a patch. A month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!